Baby Names

Does NN Spelling Matter?

macska3macska3 member
edited January 2014 in Baby Names
I love James nn Jamie, but I'd be spelling the nickname in a unique way--Jaimy. Does nickname spelling matter? If I used James, he'd probably go by Jaimy all the time though..

Your thoughts? I'm not spelling it Jaimy out of nowhere, it was in a book I read and I really like it, better than Jamie.

*Edit: changed MN to NN in title
FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List

Re: Does NN Spelling Matter?

• I don't think NN spelling matters. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you want to call him Jaimy, name him Jaimy.  I do not understand the "I'm naming my son ______, but will call him _______."  Just name him what you want to call him.

That said, I think the Jaimy spelling makes it look feminine and I'd assume girl if I saw it written without knowing you have a son.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it matters. Jaimy is fine IMO.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• If you want to call him Jaimy, name him Jaimy.  I do not understand the "I'm naming my son ______, but will call him _______."  Just name him what you want to call him.
    I'd still use James. It's like Matthew and Matt.

I could never use Jaimy on its own because the ladies here would have a heart attack.
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • bromios said:
    I was going to say, "No, not really," and then I saw Jaimy and my blood curdled. So I am now firmly of the belief that nn spelling matters! Jaime, though, I could get behind.
    I don't know why, but I hate Jaime. It makes me want to say just "Jame", for some stupid reason. 
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • For me, it matters. DD is Elinor NN Norah, when I write her NN I used to try and leave the 'h' off, but that wasn't her name (for me).

I will say that if you want to call him Jamie do it, but spelled the way you like makes me think the child is a girl with very young/uneducated parents. I guess it depends on how offended you would be if those were the assumptions that were being made about you.

I don't mean for that^ to come off as mean as I think it sounds! just food for thought.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it matters. Jaimy looks made up and super feminine. Jamie for James is the way to go. Although, personally, I'd just call him James. No nickname.
    image   image

• I think it matters. I really dislike Jaimy and agree that it looks feminine and misspelled. That said, I've never been a big fan of Jaime in general. 
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Not sure it matters, really. How often are you going to be writing his NN anyway? for official paperwork and school stuff, you'll probably be using James, and he will probably spell his nn however he wants b/c it's a nn and who cares if he spells it differently than someone else?
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• As a female Jamie, Jaimy makes me want to vomit. I don't like Jaime as "Jamie" either, 100% of the time I will read it as "Hai-may".
  • I think it matters if that is the name your child will go by. My dd is Breanna nn Bea. She goes exclusively by Bea. Most people don't even realize that her name is Breanna. To us, her name IS Bea, so the spelling totally matters.

Now if we're talking about family-only pet name type nicknames, then it doesn't matter. I call her Beeber and Beezer all the time, and I spell it different ways. 

image  image

• LadyXaverianLadyXaverian member
    edited February 2014
    AKB090609 said:
    For me, it matters. DD is Elinor NN Norah, when I write her NN I used to try and leave the 'h' off, but that wasn't her name (for me).

My DD is Elinor nn Nora. I wanted to add the "h" because I'm Sarah with an "h", but it just didn't personally make sense to me to add the "h". But I do love Norah with an "h". :)

Anyway....

OP, I also don't really think the spelling of the nn matters too much, though I don't personally like the Jaimy spelling.

Another example is that I love the nn Genevieve, but for sentimental reasons, if I did use it, the nn would be Jenny (Genny?) I'd probably go with the "J" spelling for the nn even though it's kind of illogical.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I think it matters. I really dislike Jaimy and agree that it looks feminine and misspelled. That said, I've never been a big fan of Jaime in general. 
    This. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"