February 2014 Moms
Options

***New Mom Check-In***

So totally forgot to do this yesterday because remembering is hard.

Since we're all in different places at this time parent-wise, I think it's better to change up the format. At least until everyone has outside babies. So...

Tell us what your status is, where you are, where LO is, how things are going and what's been a challenge?

Also, tell us your favorite moment of the week!

PIPs as desired!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: ***New Mom Check-In***

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Alexander is 11 days old.  He was born 3 weeks early.  We have both been home for a week now.  He's a pretty easy baby so far.  Most of my challenges have to do with breastfeeding.  He doesn't want to latch at all and worse than that, I still have virtually no milk.  I pump several times a day and at most get 10ml out and that's on a good day.  I'm still trying and I'm going to rent a pump from the hospital today to see if it helps, but it's been a challenge.  Also challenging is the fact that he tends to fall asleep while he's eating.  However, he's gaining weight well and is over his birthweight.

This was DD1 almost to a T, pumping is really discouraging when you are getting that little, but if you keep with it I bet it will improve a lot soon! I ended up using a nipple shield with her for 3 months and it really helped, it was annoying but we did BF for 10.5 months!!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    TessyMessyTessyMessy member
    edited January 2014
    Baby Jake is 12 days old. We are both home and still getting settled. We have a weight check appointment this morning to see if he is back to his birth weight. We have been nursing like crazy and my nipples have been through a boot camp! Thank goodness for Soothies and APNO!! If he has gained back the weight he has lost Daddy will be giving him a bottle this week.

ETA: I hit submit before I was done. Durr.

• Options
    Sam is 2 weeks 6 days now. We've been home for a couple weeks. His actual due date was Tuesday, which was a strange feeling. I never imagined I'd end up being induced almost 3 weeks early. He is a champion sleeper, which is awesome. I am hating this 3 hour feeding schedule, but it's working. He is gaining weight...he was a pound over his lowest weight at his appointment Tuesday. But if I never see my pump or this nipple shield again, it will be too soon.
    Samuel Joseph born 1.11.14. 37 weeks.
  • Options
    JoCountry said:
    Sam is 2 weeks 6 days now. We've been home for a couple weeks. His actual due date was Tuesday, which was a strange feeling. I never imagined I'd end up being induced almost 3 weeks early. He is a champion sleeper, which is awesome. I am hating this 3 hour feeding schedule, but it's working. He is gaining weight...he was a pound over his lowest weight at his appointment Tuesday. But if I never see my pump or this nipple shield again, it will be too soon.
    Are you waking him up at night to feed him?  We are doing that now and it's so tiring!  I can't wait until we are able to just feed him when he wakes up on his own.  But like you, it's working for us too.
  • Options
    @cgunarat - I said mine ate and slept great, but definitely not through the night! He wakes up prob three times a night - two are major wake-ups and one little one. The big wake-ups usually require a diaper change and a long feed. The little waking is nice - he's in the bed with me so I side feed and we both go right back to sleep. 

I admit, I was too scared to side-feed right away as a ftm, but I got really comfortable with it as ds1 got older. I'd say that being able to feed and sleep does save my sanity. I also know that bed sharing isn't for everyone, but it's an option.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @cgunarat Don't be jealous here! Baby Jake definitely does not sleep through the night. He usually cluster feeds from 11pm-3am and then sleeps for about 3 or 4 hours. Unfortunately I can't sleep for more than 3 hours because my boobs get super full and then leak all over the place. I agree with @nextverseunknown that side feeding is fantastic!

• Options
    Yep we have a 3x waker too. Midnight (DH does it), 3am, 6am, etc. and a lot of times between 3 and 6 he's fussy and doesn't sleep much at all. NO IDEA WHY!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    cgunarat said:

@nextuniverseunknown and @stophoney - ah, I see! When I say sleep through the night I was thinking more like 4 hours or so. My LO wakes up about 3x a night as well, but it takes a while to get him down again. I will have to learn to side feed. How did you learn?

Side feeding takes some practice like any BF position. I am still struggling with the football hold. I like side feeding because we can lay belly to belly! Check out some how-to videos on YouTube.

• Options
    James is 18 days old, born at 37w1d. We're doing fairly well, motherhood is still harder than I thought it would be, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.
    It seems like James decided to start waking up to the world around the 2 week mark on Monday and he doesn't like to be put down anymore, so naps kind of suck since he was mostly wanting to nap on me, not really in the PnP or his crib. He also seems adverse to sleeping in his crib, crying after a half hour most times he's put down. I might not be getting the swaddle tight enough, he seems to nap better for MH so since he works nights, nights kind of suck. So I've started bed sharing, which I said I would never do but if it gets me 2-3 straight hours of sleep, so be it.
    I'm still kind of worried he isn't eating enough, but he is satisfied after most feedings, so he would have to be, right? We have a LC appt on Wednesday which hopefully goes better than the one we had last week and will reassure me that he really is eating enough. He wasn't getting enough last time but he was almost back to BW at 2 weeks, so I think I'm producing more. I'm just a huge worrier.
    We bought an Ergo today and he's currently napping in it, so that is awesome because I have both of my hands! I think I will get a Moby or some kind of sling because he doesn't quite fit in the Ergo yet. Hopefully he likes being worn, cause Mommy has shit to do! We also got a bouncy seat today, I'm hoping I can get him to nap in that too.
    Favorite moment of the week: Going for a walk today with the Ergo. It was actually kind of warm today, so it was nice to get out of the freaking house. I haven't left since going to the Pedi on Monday and I'm going stir crazy. Freaking winter!
    A couple newborn session pics:

TTC: 8/11    BFP: 5/13   EDD:2/2/14   Born 1/13/14

• Options
    JoCountryJoCountry member
    edited February 2014
    @djtippietoes we are waking him up at night too. 3 hours, no longer, no matter what. When I got slack with the schedule he quit gaining weight, so I'm trying really hard to stick with it now. It's a killer though. By the time I wake him up all the way, nurse him, supplement him, and then pump, it's an hour awake minimum each time. (Quiet sobbing) I'm ahead pumping enough now DH can give him a bottle in the early am, which is helping a ton! And, btw, there's a great thread on J14 about keeping sleepy eaters awake. I suck at technology, so can't find the link, but they covered a lot of ideas. ETA link: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/79651789/#Comment_79651789
    Samuel Joseph born 1.11.14. 37 weeks.
  • Options
    Stophoney said:

cgunarat said:

@nextuniverseunknown and @stophoney - ah, I see! When I say sleep through the night I was thinking more like 4 hours or so. My LO wakes up about 3x a night as well, but it takes a while to get him down again. I will have to learn to side feed. How did you learn?

Side feeding takes some practice like any BF position. I am still struggling with the football hold. I like side feeding because we can lay belly to belly! Check out some how-to videos on YouTube.
    I second checking out how to side feed, it's always been my life saver! I will be honest thou I'm not exactly busty and even when nursing am just around a c-c+cup, my BFF is rather large busted and could never quiet get it down she said cuz of her bust size.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"