Cloth Diapering

Convertible carseat

edited January 2014 in Cloth Diapering
How many convertible carseats do you have for each kid? Or how many do you plan on getting if you just have in infant bucket still?

Convertible carseat 87 votes

We're cheap- just one, and we just re-install all the time.
26% 23 votes
2- one for both cars.
50% 44 votes
3- one for each car, plus another for another caregiver.
8% 7 votes
1% 1 vote
I buy carseats like I do CD!
0% 0 votes
SS
13% 12 votes

Re: Convertible carseat

• We don't own a car, so we do zipcar, or we rent if we are doing some long-distance driving for vacation. DS still fits in his infant bucket, which we use for short day trips. For longer trips we have a rear-facing only toddler seat. I'm guessing we will probably move back to the states before he is even old enough to FF, and since the seat is licensed for the UK/EU, we will sell it at that point and then see where we are for our next seat.
  • I hate installing seats. We may even end up with 4 depending on how quickly we move my son to one.

The next few months I'm going to be saving for a Diono.
  • Loading the player...
  • I voted SS. We have 3 convertible seats for DD. But we don't own a car.

One is ours and lives in DD's closet for when we rent a zipcar or go somewhere in a friend's car.

One is in MIL's car since we visit her frequently enough that it's easier than bringing DD's seat on the train.

And then my mom who lives across the country has one because we visit her every summer and I can't physically take DD, our bags and a car seat to the airport on the train. Nor do I want to. It was worth the $85 to just get a seat to have there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had a "travel" system, which our child is now too tall for at 6 months.
    We've bought a new car seat that should last until he's 40 inches tall, hopefully a couple years at least.
    We may end up buying a third cheap & light carseat for airline travel overseas and use in the in-laws car (they live in England, we live in the USA).

We may end up with three strollers too lol, but I'm trying to keep it to two.
  • We have three. Two are permanently placed in each of our vehicles. The third one is a cheaper/lighter one for airplane travel, but we would also use for a caregiver if absolutely necessary. That way if it gets damaged during travel, it's not as big of a deal to replace it. The cost was less than what we would have paid to rent one every time we've traveled, and I prefer sitting A in a car seat on an airplane.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • We had a "travel" system, which our child is now too tall for at 6 months.

We've bought a new car seat that should last until he's 40 inches tall, hopefully a couple years at least.
    We may end up buying a third cheap & light carseat for airline travel overseas and use in the in-laws car (they live in England, we live in the USA).

We may end up with three strollers too lol, but I'm trying to keep it to two.
    Don't get me started on strollers...

I have 4 and I'd like to get a small umbrella one still.

I need to sell 2 of them.
  • We just have one, which stays in my car all the time unless there is some strange reason why we need to go somewhere in DH's car and then we just re-install. We do have 2 bases for our infant seat.

Our babysitter has her own convertible seat that she purchased for her grandson (he's just a few months younger than DS1 and about the same size), so she just uses that if she has to take DS1 somewhere.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have 2 for each of our cars and all 3 sets of grandparents have one, soon to be two. We're waiting for the new Radians to come out to finish everyones pairs. So we'll have 10 car seats soon. 6 of which are Radians, 1 Foonf, 2 Graco, and a combo booster.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are just going to get one because 99% of the time we would use my car. If I were going somewhere without DH and LO we would just trade cars.

And my mom has one in her van, but she bought it when my sisters kids moved to a convertible last year.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• one baby, one car seat.  I wonder, though, if we might buy another since we do have two cars.  MH and I are always together.  I can't see why two are necessary. 

I feel like one would just go to waste.  we decided that no grandparents are safe enough drivers to ever drive M around…so grandparents definitely don't need any

we're getting the diono radian at the end of next month.  tiny M still fits in his infant bucket seat
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Mandmeesh said:
    one baby, one car seat.  I wonder, though, if we might buy another since we do have two cars.  MH and I are always together.  I can't see why two are necessary. 

I feel like one would just go to waste.  we decided that no grandparents are safe enough drivers to ever drive M around…so grandparents definitely don't need any

we're getting the diono radian at the end of next month.  tiny M still fits in his infant bucket seat
    We're normally together when we go out as well, or it's me and the kids. The reason for 2 seats is that it's less safe to keep installing and uninstalling seats. Since it makes it harder to get a proper install. If you guys always take the same car together though, then it's NBD.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mandmeesh said:
    one baby, one car seat.  I wonder, though, if we might buy another since we do have two cars.  MH and I are always together.  I can't see why two are necessary. 

DS is short, and our Infant seat has the 30lb weight limit. So it still works for now, but we need a new one soon. But we'll likely get a van soon too.... So if we go anywhere with the kids, it would likely be in that. So idk if we should get 1or2.
  • Mandmeesh said:

We're normally together when we go out as well, or it's me and the kids. The reason for 2 seats is that it's less safe to keep installing and uninstalling seats. Since it makes it harder to get a proper install. If you guys always take the same car together though, then it's NBD.
    yes, the seat stays installed in one car, not in and out.  so we're good there…thank goodness :)

• We just have one because a.) DH is too chicken sh!t to take DS anywhere on his own and b.) DH is too much of an a$$ to leave a car seat installed in his truck. If I ever go anywhere and leave DS with DH at the house, I have to take the seat out of my car and leave it in the garage.  I learned the importance of this the hard way when my car battery died at Home Depot and DH had no way to bring DS to come get me. (Thank God for nice neighbors!)

• I bought a Radian for ds that he'll be using when it warms up enough that I can take him out unbundled.  The infant seat will go into dh's car until ds out grows it.  Not sure what we'll do at that point as far as buy another seat or not.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • I'm a SS.

DD is 2 and DS is one month. We have 4 seats.

We have an infant bucket seat we used with DD and know DS. When DD was ready for a convertible my mom bought her an evenflo tribute for Christmas. Then we bought a cosco scenera because I was tired of uninstalling and reinstalling seats.

We recently purchased an Evenflo Sureride so she can stay RF longer. It has a good price point and RF to 40lbs and 40inches. DD always tells me "eets comfy" when I buckle her in haha She still fits into the tribute and scenera but I wanted something different. I currently have the sureride and the infant installed in my van the the scenera and the tribute are going back into DH's car. I have them out because I was moving them from a relatives vehicle.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have our main carseat for DD in my car, which is our primary vehicle. We also have a beater truck that her other seat was in for a while, but now it is in MIL's car because she's been taking her once a week or so. DS is still in the infant seat. I hate installing carseats, so that is why I got a second one for everyone else to use, so I don't have to move mine!
  • I bought a Radian for ds that he'll be using when it warms up enough that I can take him out unbundled.  The infant seat will go into dh's car until ds out grows it.  Not sure what we'll do at that point as far as buy another seat or not.
    We're in pretty much the exact same situation.  The only time we've even needed a carseat not in my car is when I was stranded away from daycare and couldn't go pick LO up - luckily we had the Radian that DH could install and use.  I might buy a cheapie Cosco for that once in a blue moon instance once LO outgrows his bucket.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • SS- 1 car, 1 kid. 2 convertible seats. 1 is installed all the time in our car. We use the other for travel and if we need it in a secondary local car. The one we use daily is much nicer and will last longer than the back up/travel one.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• We just bought a convertible, and it will stay installed in my truck. My dd is little, and still fits nicely in her infant seat, so if we take my husband's truck we will just use the infant seat in his, for now. We generally take mine, though. After she grows out of the infant seat, I still don't think we will buy another convertible, since the one I chose was pricey and I don't think DH would be ok with buying another one that would sit 90% of the time.

I'm not comfortable with anyone else driving her, and I rarely leave her, so no one else has need of a carseat in their car.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @nana_osaki is it the diono radian rxt convertible seat with booster?  MIL is going to buy one for us, and I want to make sure it's that one…up to 120lbs with the booster, right?.  

• Mandmeesh said:
    @nana_osaki is it the diono radian rxt convertible seat with booster?  MIL is going to buy one for us, and I want to make sure it's that one…up to 120lbs with the booster, right?.  
    Yes. It's the RXT or r120. They are the same only one has head wings and one does not.
  • Mandmeesh said:
    @nana_osaki is it the diono radian rxt convertible seat with booster?  MIL is going to buy one for us, and I want to make sure it's that one…up to 120lbs with the booster, right?.  
    Yes. It's the RXT or r120. They are the same only one has head wings and one does not.
    do I want head wings? 

• Mandmeesh said:
    Mandmeesh said:
    do I want head wings? 
    It depends. I have the ones with head wings. It can mean it might not last as long if your kid is long torsoed. Mine is not and I like the extra side impact protection.
  • It's technically a convertible, 5pt harness, and booster. Technically. Plus the steel framing inside of it that allows it to go up to 120lbs, but it isn't needed for it to be 120lbs.
  • 120 lbs? S isn't half of that.
    MH said he wasn't 120 lbs until he was a senior in high school

• cool, so M will be the safest car-riding high schooler EVER :)

• Lol, unless he's like me and is 120lbs at 10 and over 5ft. :P Really, the funny thing to think about is that the height to stop using a booster is 4'9". I know of a few adults that barely make that.
  • edited February 2014

Lol, unless he's like me and is 120lbs at 10 and over 5ft. :P Really, the funny thing to think about is that the height to stop using a booster is 4'9". I know of a few adults that barely make that.
    *raises hand*

I would have been the middle school-er in a booster seat. Even still, I'm only 4" too tall to safely ride in the r120.

(edited because math is hard - I'm too tall, not too short)

• Lol, unless he's like me and is 120lbs at 10 and over 5ft. :P Really, the funny thing to think about is that the height to stop using a booster is 4'9". I know of a few adults that barely make that.
    *raises hand*

I would have been the middle school-er in a booster seat. Even still, I'm only 4" too short to safely ride in the r120.

What in it's "booster" mode. :P
  • What in it's "booster" mode. :P
    Indeed. But that would make it even harder for me to reach the pedals to drive. Though it would be much easier to see over the steering wheel. : P
  • We could always get you those special pedal extenders they have.
  • For now we have 1 infant seat but two bases...when he outgrows that we will get 2 convertibles. Both grandmas also have one for their car, although we didnt buy them, they did.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"