April 2014 Moms

Should I be expecting another US?

I'm currently 28 weeks 3 days today, and have had 2 U/S altogether. I've noticed some people have had 3+ by the end of their pregnancy, and was just wondering if I should expect to receive another one by the end. My OB hasn't mentioned another one, so I was more or less wondering what was common.
Delilah Noel
4/25/14 12:41am

Re: Should I be expecting another US?

• I probably won't get another one unless I have any complications. The less ultrasounds the better. More ultrasounds mean you may be having complications or something, so don't worry! Just means your having a good pregnancy with a healthy baby :)

• I would assume not, unless for some reason they deem it medically necessary to get another look at your LO. Some practices hand them out like candy but I'm pretty sure it's the norm to have a dating ultrasound early on (8 weeks-ish) and your anatomy scan (18-22 weeks) and that's it in an uneventful pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • It just depends. First regnant I had the anatomy scan then ended up with another one at 40 weeks since I hadn't gone into labor yet. This time I'll get another one at 35-38 weeks because of gestational diabetes. So it depends if something comes up that they feel like they need to check on your fluid level or growth or something.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok, thanks! LO seems to be baking pretty well, so I don't really expect the need for another U/S.
    Delilah Noel
    4/25/14 12:41am

• With a complication-free pregnancy, you probably won't unless there is some question as to positioning / size nearer to your EDD.  
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • I get an ultrasound at every appointment.  Early on, when I realized this was not happening to everyone else, I asked the US tech (we are BFFs now) if I was high risk and the Dr. just wasn't saying anything.  She assured me that there were no problems, but that I have a "kind doctor" who recognizes that women like to see the baby.  The only ultrasound I have even had billed to my insurance was the anatomy scan.

I thought that maybe it was a practice-wide sort of thing, but one week I saw the NP because my OB was on vacation, and she used the Doppler and didn't order an ultrasound.  The ultrasounds are not long....maybe 1 or 2 minutes tops, just long enough to take measurements and record the heartbeat.  Sometimes the tech will switch the machine over to 3d to see if we can get a picture of LO's face!
  • For some doctors more ultrasounds means you probably have complications... But not all. My dr gave us an ultrasound every visit until 20 weeks when we decided to go to his other office which was closer to where we moved. The first office had ultrasound machines in every room so it was just nice to see the baby. Nothing was wrong... Just a bonus I guess.
  • I've had...five?  But I've had some issues plus an IVF pregnancy, so there is some extra monitoring. 
  • I'm considered high risk so I get them often, but one or two is normal for an normal pregnancy. On one hand, it's nice to see so many pictures of my baby and many of them in 3D. On the other hand, there are so many discrepancies in growth of the baby and ultrasounds aren't always accurate, so if something is even slightly off it can be very stressful. There are so many tests and scans it makes for a vey long and uneasy pregnancy and if I were to do it again, I would only stick to the usual one or two US. In a normal visit with your Obgyn they can detect many complications and call for an US to check it out. So consider yourself lucky that your dr hasn't determined any more US are necessary!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ive had about 5 too... I have a healthy pregnancy but my need for extra is to monitor a cyst that has gone rogue and is being monitored, thus the extra ultrasounds.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had a total of 9 so far and I just booked 3 more. Low progesterone brought me in after my IVF early at 5 weeks. Heavy bleeding at 6 weeks, which turned out to be a very large hematoma, so weekly monitoring until week 9. Went for my IPS at 11 weeks, baby was to small, back again at 13 weeks. 20 week anatomy scan that showed a low lying placenta. 30 week follow up ultrasound showed a short cervix and had one more after that showing a shorter cervix and some funnelling. Be thankful you've only had 2. Means everything has gone well for you and baby.
  • My pregnancy had been uneventful and we ha just the dating and mid-term USs so far. My doc mentioned we may do one near the end to check on size and position. All sounds normal for you though. :-)
  • I get quite a few, but only because I am HR...
  • I think two is normal, but I've had three to check on a placenta issue. 

• chucko326 said:

I get an ultrasound at every appointment.  Early on, when I realized this was not happening to everyone else, I asked the US tech (we are BFFs now) if I was high risk and the Dr. just wasn't saying anything.  She assured me that there were no problems, but that I have a "kind doctor" who recognizes that women like to see the baby.  The only ultrasound I have even had billed to my insurance was the anatomy scan.

I thought that maybe it was a practice-wide sort of thing, but one week I saw the NP because my OB was on vacation, and she used the Doppler and didn't order an ultrasound.  The ultrasounds are not long....maybe 1 or 2 minutes tops, just long enough to take measurements and record the heartbeat.  Sometimes the tech will switch the machine over to 3d to see if we can get a picture of LO's face!
    Your lucky... My OB ordered 3 dating ultrasounds because they did it so early. I declined the third and I'm glad I did because I was charged $300 for each one plus $145 for each visit from her and my insurance chose not to cover it at all...

Pretty sure my anatomy scan was $300 as well... At least part of my deductible from last year goes towards this year....

• My doctor likes to do one more at 36 weeks just to check size and positioning. But I think 2-3 is totally normal for a complication-free pregnancy
  • Not always true. I get an US every visit and am not having issues. It can depend on the doctor and/insurance
    I probably won't get another one unless I have any complications. The less ultrasounds the better. More ultrasounds mean you may be having complications or something, so don't worry! Just means your having a good pregnancy with a healthy baby :)

IAmPregnant Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've had 4 - standard dating at 7 weeks, one because I had been spotting for a week around week 9, 12 weeks, and 20 weeks.  I'll have another one at 32 weeks because of gestational diabetes, but I until I got this diagnosis I was not expecting another one.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB just ordered one for next week for me. I'll be 31 weeks and 2 days. It's just a growth scan. I had one at 18 weeks and a short one at 20 to get a few things they missed the first time. I'd say that 2-3 is normal for a regular low risk pregnancy. 
    YCSWU
  • My MW requires zero, but we opted for 1. If you're low risk and have no other signs of a problem, you shouldn't "need" any more- which is a good thing!! :)

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • moomoojlm said:
    My pregnancy had been uneventful and we ha just the dating and mid-term USs so far. My doc mentioned we may do one near the end to check on size and position. All sounds normal for you though. :-)
    this. I asked my doc yesterday and that's exactly what he told me too.
  • boxerbabyloveboxerbabylove member
    edited January 2014
    I've had 3, one for dating and then 2 anatomy scans since baby wasn't able to be cleared during my first anatomy scan. At the second anatomy scan they told me that since I'm overweight they want to see me at 32 weeks for a growth check ultrasound. Up until last week there were no other complications so I was a bit irritated to have them assume baby would be too large just because I'm a bit overweight but it means seeing baby again so I'm cool with it since insurance will cover it. 

ETA typo
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Usually you only get more if there are complications. I'm having one on Monday to check on growth, since I'm a diabetic, I'll be having them every couple of weeks from now on until delivery.
  • I only had a third to check fluid when I felt reduced movement with my first.
  • My dr does the dating scan (mine was at 8 weeks), then 12 weeks (downs), 20 weeks (anatomy), and 32 weeks standard.
  • chucko326 said:

I get an ultrasound at every appointment.  Early on, when I realized this was not happening to everyone else, I asked the US tech (we are BFFs now) if I was high risk and the Dr. just wasn't saying anything.  She assured me that there were no problems, but that I have a "kind doctor" who recognizes that women like to see the baby.  The only ultrasound I have even had billed to my insurance was the anatomy scan.

This. My Dr. gives me an ultrasound each visit. I love it. I am not high risk.

happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"