Stay at Home Moms
Options

Has anyone ever donated breastmilk?

My second son is only 7 weeks and I already have about 350 ounces of frozen milk.  I know most of it will end up in the garbage since I stay at home and rarely use a sitter.  I was just wondering if anyone has ever donated milk and if so, what your experience was like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Has anyone ever donated breastmilk?

• Options
    I agree with PP. If you plan to nurse for any length of time you never know when you might need it...
  • Options
    Human milk for human babies does donations. They have local Facebook group s to set up babies in need with moms who have milk.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I donated on human milk 4 human babies onFB. Another mom came to me and picked it up.
  • Options
    I looked into it 8 years ago & it sounded pretty hard back then. I ended up weening from pumping when DD was 9 mo and she got bottled BM until she was a year. (I BF through 10.5 mo).
  • Options
    I hooked up with a woman on our local Human Milk 4 Human Babies FB page.  I agree with others, I would hold onto it until it's close to expiring and then donate.  When my twins were born I made more than enough, then at 4w my supply tanked and never recovered.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I donated my entire freezer stash since I never used it. I found moms/babies in need through Human Milk for Human Babies on Facebook. I would always keep 75 ounces for my freezer and then donate the rest, just in case.
  • Options
    kklamb10 said:
    Maybe I'm selfish but I'd hold on to it for a while. You never know what could happen. Eta: It sounds like you have a bit of an oversupply. I would cut back on your pumping.
    I was going to say this too.  It's good in a regular freezer for 3-6 months, deep freeze for 6-12 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"