July 2013 Moms

Important Decisions Vent

A couple days ago DH and I went to look at a house, and now I am super stressed about it. In any other situation, I would say that we aren't ready to move ( we have had our little ranch for about three years, since we got married.) However, the house for sale is basically my dream house. It is old and huge with an amazing yard and garage in the perfect location. We have been doing lots of number crunching, and theoretically we could afford it. It needs work, but this is a house we would live in forever, so I don't mind spending the rest of our lives fixing it up how we want. 

BUT

-DH's job has a really weird pay structure. His actual salary he receives in his biweekly checks is about $30,000, but most of his pay comes in three bonuses in Feb, Aug, and Nov. These bonuses, while generally very substantial and making up most of his pay, can vary a lot. One is profit sharing and based solely on how the company did that year, and the other two are merit based, so it basically depends on what projects he has been working on. It makes budgeting really weird. 

-We should probably make the offer contingent on the sale of our current home, so that is another uncertainty. 

-We were not planning on selling so soon, so between improvements and interest, the sale of our current house would probably break even. When we bought we assumed we would eventually make some.

-I love my little house, with the custom colors, and the mural I painted in DS's room and the work we have put in, I will be sad to leave it. 

-What if we can't have more kids, its really too big now for just the three of us?

-DH's company is kind of in recovery mode from the recession, so it is slightly fragile. Because of the pay structure, he would never get laid off, just take a huge pay cut from the bonuses. 

- What if we just change our minds and regret it? aka, I am just a worrier.

TL;DR : Planned on moving in 5-8 years, but dream home is for sale now. WWJ13D?  and I suck at making big decisions.

Thanks for the vent
Married 6/18/11
BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Important Decisions Vent

• Do it, it'll hopefully all work out in your favor.

Just saying what I would do if my dream home came on the market :) I'd take the risk! 
  • ^^^the two halves of my brain right now haha
    Married 6/18/11

• Loading the player...
  • Put in an offer. You can try and get it for a price you want. At least you can say you tried. Good luck!!
  • Wait. You raised a lot of big deal questions... It doesn't sound like now is the right time. We just had to make the same choice. I'm sad, the home seems like it could have been our dream home but... It ended up a wise choice for us to wait (for similar issues)
    Me:33/DH: 34
    Married: July 28, 2012
    DD: July 29, 2013
    DS: July 1, 2015
    Current EDD: May 15, 2017
  • I would definitely wait. Honestly, it just doesn't seem like it's the right time. The fact that you think you'll regret it later is a big factor.
  • chiboo9 said:
    I would definitely wait. Honestly, it just doesn't seem like it's the right time. The fact that you think you'll regret it later is a big factor.
    I thought the same thing about our current house lol.
    Married 6/18/11

• Wait. You raised a lot of big deal questions... It doesn't sound like now is the right time. We just had to make the same choice. I'm sad, the home seems like it could have been our dream home but... It ended up a wise choice for us to wait (for similar issues)

This exactly..
    Two under two, here we come!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage image
  • I would wait, or at least put in a low, contingent offer if it's been listed awhile.
  • Wait. I'm sure there are other houses that would be your dream house. You wouldn't be able to do much fixing up for a few years anyway if you have little kids. A bigger house takes more time to clean and maintain. It sounds like it would make your finances tight. Tight finances and no time to work on a fixer-upper would stress you out. And you'd start to hate the house if it is a source of stress. There will be another opportunity at your dream house some day. And your dreams might even change by then.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd wait. You seem full of a lot of uncertainty right now. Something just as "dreamy" may come along or the same house could go back on the market at another time. It just doesn't sound like a good time to make the switch IMO.
  • I would do if and only if you can afford it on that base $30,000. If it depends on the extra that he's used to getting, I wouldn't do it. I'm more of a do it and then figure it out person but not when it comes to house and a mortgage. That's not something to figure out later. 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Wait.

This. I see my dream house keep coming up on the housing market. What's funny is: it's a different house every time. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"