February 2013 Moms

Diaper Rash

So E had one of those atomic acid poops last night and when he woke up with terrible diaper rash and bleeding spots. We just ran out of our preferred Angel Babies Bottom Balm and I still have more Grandma Els, but he doesn't seem to like Els as much. I think it'd because it's thick at first so it hurts to spread on. I know he probably just needs more time to heal up, but is there anything else I can do to help him? He just seems so uncomfortable. Should I push more liquids?
                We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

Re: Diaper Rash

• We had a really really bad rash when DS was a lot younger. My cousin is a NICU nurse and she said the best thing for healing is air. I left his diaper off for 2 days pretty much straight.... it was a nightmare but it did clear up pretty fast.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We usually do some diaper free time every change so we should be good then.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • We use the Desitin Maximum (purple) on active rashes - it protects better than anything else we've used. When there is no active rash, we use Vaseline at every diaper change for a protective barrier. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• (and yes, always push fluids in the event of loose bowel movements to be sure he's hydrated)
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• RosebeanRosebean member
    edited January 2014
    We usually use Live Clean daily, but when things get bad, we use Burt's Bees. And for acidic poops, corn starch in the diaper is really good for neutralizing it. We had to do corn starch with DS from day one because his poops were always acidic. ETA: my iPad has the weirdest sense of autocorrect lately. It's driving me apeshit!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • nlp1990nlp1990 member
    edited January 2014
    DS had a terrible diaper rash last week from those acid poops and OTC diaper cream made it worse. But a couple of days of coconut oil and it was cleared up.

ETA typo.
  • Last week I let DS roam around naked after work. (we have hardwood floors, so nothing gets stained).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We use butt paste and lots of air it out time
  • We had a very similar situation earlier this week (overnight poop = terrible diaper rash). We used Calendula Oil on it and it worked extremely well. We tried some butt paste first but it really didn't do anything. The Calendula Oil slides on super easy and really helped heal it. By the next diaper change it was already improving and was barely noticeable by the end of the day. Highly recomend it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Will the corn starch cause any repelling or washing problems with my cloth diapers?

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Coconut oil and fresh air here. Poor baby! :(

• Another cloth diaper user here. I've always been concerned about harming the diapers and have good luck with coconut oil on LO's skin. I agree that air works well too.
  • We had a really bad yeast rash about a month ago - nothing worked, not even the Triple Paste AF.  But a couple of days of coconut oil was MAGIC.  That is my go-to now.
  • I've been doing the Grandma El's because I was out of Coconut oil.  I emptied a jar of Angel babies Bottom Balm and refilled it with coconut oil-- DH has this weird problem touching coconut anything.  He's not allergic to it, he just doesn't like it.  He insists that my coconut oil smells like coconut.  It DOESN'T.  Anyway, put that on last night and he looks SOOOOOO much better this morning!

Thanks all for the help and advice!

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"