Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Best brand of yogurt

I have been buying the Gerber yogurt but I read the other day those are awful for babies. So what do y'all think is the best brand of yogurt?

Re: Best brand of yogurt

• I only use full fat greek yogurt (fage total). I find it's thicker than regular yogurt which makes it less messy. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • I use the Stoneyfield Yo Baby...yes it does have sugar in it. Its something she's given in moderation..maybe once or twice a week...and for the most part she eats no other processed foods or anything loaded with sugar.

• Loading the player...
  • I give DD Stoneyfield organic plain whole milk yogurt. It comes in a big tub and I get it at Walmart. I don't mix anything into it. She loves it. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank y'all! I will look for these next grocery store trip.
  • We do full fat greek yogurt. It's the Greek Gods one. We use it for our dog too. They all love it! Nice and high in fat and protein, which is good for our LO's. My dog likes it too :P.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My daughter loves yogurt but hates the baby yogurt. I do regular yogurt and greek. I use different kinds of the major brands.
  • I go with full fat plain greek yogurt and check the ingredients and try to only get those that are just cultured milk/bacteria, no added sugars. Fage is good for that one and comes in smaller sizes. LO happens to like it plain, so that's the way I serve it to him.
  • Anything that is full-fat and without added sugars.

I usually buy Fage, Mountain High or one particular local dairy brand. If you or your LO aren't crazy about one brand, try a different one. Yogurt flavor (even plain) and consistency can vary considerably across brands. There are some local yogurt brands near me that I will never make the mistake of buying again - and I really like yogurt!
  • We just get a big tub of Plain Organic Whole Milk Yogurt (Trader Joe's Brand).  Then I mix in mashed bananas, applesauce, or mashed berries adds sweetness without refined sugar.
  • hollygb22 said:

I use the Stoneyfield Yo Baby...yes it does have sugar in it. Its something she's given in moderation..maybe once or twice a week...and for the most part she eats no other processed foods or anything loaded with sugar.

We love Stoneyfield Yo Baby, and pretty much ALL yogurt has sugar in it, Yo Baby has less than many other brands I looked at. I love that it's nice and thick makes it easier for her to feed herself.
  • hollygb22 said:

I use the Stoneyfield Yo Baby...yes it does have sugar in it. Its something she's given in moderation..maybe once or twice a week...and for the most part she eats no other processed foods or anything loaded with sugar.

We love Stoneyfield Yo Baby, and pretty much ALL yogurt has sugar in it, Yo Baby has less than many other brands I looked at. I love that it's nice and thick makes it easier for her to feed herself.
    Pretty much all flavored yogurt has added sugar in it, but pretty much all of the plain yogurts out there do not. If you want to give your child yogurt with added sugar then that's your call and I'm not criticizing you, but you're doing it because you choose to, not because there are no other options. 

OP, I recently found frozen pre-diced fruit (strawberries, mango&pineapple) that Dole makes. It's really, really easy to thaw a small portion in the microwave, dump in some yogurt, and mix them together. That way you get flavored yogurt without the added sugar (other than what occurs in the fruit, of course). Frozen blueberries work well, as well. 
  • I started making my own when I was having a difficult time finding full fat yogurt in the stores in the quantities that my son was eating. I bought a $40 yogurt maker from Amazon and it's super easy-- like 5 minutes of prep (after you've boiled the milk) and then you just set the timer and don't touch it for 8-11 hours depending on how thick you like it. I am super lazy so if I'm saying it's easy, believe me, it's really easy.

• Meery82Meery82 member
    edited January 2014
    Noosa yogurt has a shit ton of sugar in it, but damn is it delicious. I mostly keep it to myself. =P~
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Beth.1212 said:
    hollygb22 said:

Pretty much all flavored yogurt has added sugar in it, but pretty much all of the plain yogurts out there do not. If you want to give your child yogurt with added sugar then that's your call and I'm not criticizing you, but you're doing it because you choose to, not because there are no other options. 

OP, I recently found frozen pre-diced fruit (strawberries, mango&pineapple) that Dole makes. It's really, really easy to thaw a small portion in the microwave, dump in some yogurt, and mix them together. That way you get flavored yogurt without the added sugar (other than what occurs in the fruit, of course). Frozen blueberries work well, as well. 

I realize that I choose to give my child yogurt with added sugar in it. Based on the ones I looked it, Stoneyfield didn't have as much as other brands. Since it's not a daily part of her diet and eaten once or twice a week, it's the brand I choose to give.

Just added my perspective on what I choose to give in case the OP wanted other suggestions besides plain yogurt with added in fresh fruit.

• We use Yo Baby or Yo Toddler. I find it at almost any store that sells yogurt.

#2 BFP 8/23/14, EDD 5/1/15, M/C 9/17/14 - Forever in our hearts <3

• We always get Cabot full fat greek yogurt. She likes it plain but I'll put in berries and muesli as well.
  • We bounce back and forth between organic full fat plain greek yogurt and the YoToddler from Stonyfield. The YoToddler is more of a treat because of the sugar, but it's nice every once in a while. 
    PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
    You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
     Lilypie - (KAFM)

• I like the YoBaby and YoToddler yogurt.  But one brand that my kids really like is at Walmart--it is the Great Value lowfat vanilla yogurt.  Both of my kids-my 3 year old son and my 1 year old daughter really like that yogurt.  And I like it too.  So it is fun snack for us to share together. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • smileybabyboysmileybabyboy member
    edited February 2014
    eyenigh said:
    I started making my own when I was having a difficult time finding full fat yogurt in the stores in the quantities that my son was eating. I bought a $40 yogurt maker from Amazon and it's super easy-- like 5 minutes of prep (after you've boiled the milk) and then you just set the timer and don't touch it for 8-11 hours depending on how thick you like it. I am super lazy so if I'm saying it's easy, believe me, it's really easy.
    You don't even need a yogurt maker. I've made it in my crockpot and it comes out fine. 
  • Full fat, greek yogurt when I can find it.  I swear, these days everything is fat-free!  LO loves the Trader Joe's apricot and mango one, it does have sugar in it but she doesn't eat that much at once.  We also give Kefir, a more drinkable yogurt, in the morning, mixed with WCM.  I feel like that regular pro-biotics in both really keep her healthy and regulated and this benefit off-sets the sugar present.

I like the Noosa, too, but it doesn't have quite as much protein in it.  Special treat for mama!

• Full fat, greek yogurt when I can find it.  I swear, these days everything is fat-free! 
    This drives me crazy. It's steadily harder to find full-fat yogurt in the stores here. They keep dropping options.
  • kristennd said:

Full fat, greek yogurt when I can find it.  I swear, these days everything is fat-free! 
    This drives me crazy. It's steadily harder to find full-fat yogurt in the stores here. They keep dropping options.
    Me, too! I dislike fat-free dairy products for many reasons. Primarily because they don't taste right.
  • Full fat, greek yogurt when I can find it.  I swear, these days everything is fat-free!  LO loves the Trader Joe's apricot and mango one, it does have sugar in it but she doesn't eat that much at once.  We also give Kefir, a more drinkable yogurt, in the morning, mixed with WCM.  I feel like that regular pro-biotics in both really keep her healthy and regulated and this benefit off-sets the sugar present.

I like the Noosa, too, but it doesn't have quite as much protein in it.  Special treat for mama!
    You do know that you can get probiotics that you just add to water or milk, right? They are easy to obtain in much larger quantities than in yogurt without additives..
    Do you have a particular brand you recommend?  We are currently doing Culturelle and a Walgreens brand.  I always worry that it might overheat in the shipment of it and be worthless.  

We are trying to fight back on a stubborn case of thrush :(
  •  Straus Family Creamery: plain, organic full-fat yogurt

https://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/item/organic-plain-yogurt

Near me I can get it at costco, whole foods, and a tiny family-run vegetable corner store.

I also have found plain, organic full-fat yogurt from Trader Joes

• Yes, thanks, I know that probiotics come as a supplement as well.  We used them before LO was eating solids.  I am comfortable with my choice in organic kefir mixed with her breakfast milk sippy, for the calcium and protein she gets from them as well as the probiotics.  We keep sugar to a minimum in her diet, and I really don't stress about the small amounts she does get.
    Full fat, greek yogurt when I can find it.  I swear, these days everything is fat-free!  LO loves the Trader Joe's apricot and mango one, it does have sugar in it but she doesn't eat that much at once.  We also give Kefir, a more drinkable yogurt, in the morning, mixed with WCM.  I feel like that regular pro-biotics in both really keep her healthy and regulated and this benefit off-sets the sugar present.

You do know that you can get probiotics that you just add to water or milk, right? They are easy to obtain in much larger quantities than in yogurt without additives..

• Fage with my own mix ins
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"