August 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone else already stressing about labor?

I'm mostly afraid of a C-section.  That was my fear last time too.  Mainly because I'm sure I'd pass out every time I saw my stitches.  It's almost as if I'm more scared now as a STM because I know what to expect.  Not trying to scare any FTM either! I don't think it was a horribly paintful experience, I'm just worried about how to improve my labor experience and how to prevent a C-section.  This seriously kept me awake all last night!

imageimageimage

Re: Anyone else already stressing about labor?

• Options
    STM and definitely more nervous this time (so weird). I'm mostly nervous about another 40-some hour labor. I've decided to be more prepared physically (staying in better shape) and mentally (considering using a "technique").
  • Options

Those emergency C-sections are the worst.  I know people that have had one and I think they're saints for going through it!  I'm not against having a C-section if necessary, but I'm the kind that gets majorly dizzy at the sight of blood.  I would prefer the pain of a vaginal birth over taking care of stitches from major surgery.  How long do those last? and do they offer options other than staples?

I opted for an epidural last time, but only after I was 8 cm dilated just to be sure a c-section was out of question (since it slows down progress), but this time around I'm debating whether to do an epidural earlier or not at all.  However, if I don't do an epidural, do they give you anything for pain if you have to get stitches for tearing?

OMG I'm totally freaking out already!

imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    novameh said:
    STM and definitely more nervous this time (so weird). I'm mostly nervous about another 40-some hour labor. I've decided to be more prepared physically (staying in better shape) and mentally (considering using a "technique").

Me too! Mine lasted from a Thursday Morning until a Friday night.  I didn't do any labor techniques beside my husband reminding me to breathe and a warm shower.  I'm definietly signing up for labor classes this time around.

imageimageimage

• Options

I was more worried the second time.  I had a great pain free birth with my first and was sure I wouldn't be that lucky a second time.  I was correct about the second birth being different, but that didn't mean it was bad.

This time I'm excited to try to imagine how this birth will go.  For me it feels like my babies dictate the labor and delivery.  If I do what they dictate, things go very smoothly and much more comfortably than I would have believed possible.  If I try to do what I think I should do or what someone else suggests...then things slowdown and get painful.  So I'm so curious to see how this one will be.

• Options
    Not scared. Partly because I am having a RCS so I know what to expect and also my recovery was easy the first time. 

Yes, laboring for 30 hours was hell. I am not going to lie about that. 

I had internal stitches with steri-strips on top. The strips peeled off after a few weeks. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I did hypnobirthing classes, and it helped. I still use the techniques when I'm getting stressed
  • Options

The only thing I'm really terrified about is having to have a c-section and being awake for it. I can't stand needles and surgery and whatnot as it is, and there's no way I could handle being conscious while they cut into me and all. I'd rather them just knock me out entirely and let me wake up to my baby all clean and snuggled up with my husband.

This is what I told DH the other day...would love to just be knocked out then wake up to a brand new LO & DH! LoL
  • Options
    I have barely even thought about labor this time...I'm still focusing on getting out of first tri. :) But...I'm not really nervous. I had a scheduled C-section the first time and I'm really hoping for a VBAC this time so there are a lot of unknowns at this point, but I really want to experience labor.

The only part of my C-section experience that was bad was when they were prepping me...I was so flippin nervous and they were poking and prodding and putting in cath. The actual surgery and recovery were fine though.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Logan 10/20/2010 ~ Addison 8/26/2014
  • Options
    I'm more nervous about after labour. The bleeding, the swelling, and the after pain.
  • Options
    I'm not really nervous about this delivery.  I think that's mainly because my last delivery was so traumatic, I'm hoping that this one almost has to be better.  I had 4th degree tearing, an awful case of hemorrhoids, vacuum assist, nerve damage to my leg which resulted in an MRI, multiple neurologist visits, and physical therapy.  I really do hope to avoid a C-section, though I'm aware that it is always a possibility.  I just try not to dwell on it.  What will happen will happen, and worrying won't change a thing.

ETA:  Hit "post" too soon.
    Reading that, it actually makes me WANT a c-section again. Your labor sounds way worse than my surgery!
  • Options
    I wasn't but I'm kinda concerned now because my 1 hr glucose test results were pretty high so I'm expecting to fail my 3 hour test next week and I'm not sure how GD will effect my pregnancy/delivery. Hopefully I can still have my Vbac in the hospital I just don't like not knowing. Going to talk about all the "what ifs" with my awesome OB at my next appt. last pregnancy/labor and delivery was a breeze compared to my first, this pregnancy seems harder than the last 2 :/ hopefully it gets better.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Nuclearcupcake I had GD with my last pregnancy and I fully expect to have it again this time around too. My OB wouldn't let me go past 39 weeks (which is really dumb if you ask me, but whatever) so that would be the only way I think it could really affect having a vbac.
  • Options
    tabaskoa said:

@Nuclearcupcake I had GD with my last pregnancy and I fully expect to have it again this time around too. My OB wouldn't let me go past 39 weeks (which is really dumb if you ask me, but whatever) so that would be the only way I think it could really affect having a vbac.

Thank you! I went into labor with DS1 at 39w4days and went into labor with DS2 at 37 weeks so I have no problems going into labor on my own. This was reassuring until I can talk to my Dr. I keep telling DH not to worry until we get our test results. I don't have a history if big babies either my last pregnancy I was almost GD but I just had to be more cautious with my food choices not diet or test blood sugars or anything. It's just very intimidating to hear about. Did it clear up after you had baby?
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you! I went into labor with DS1 at 39w4days and went into labor with DS2 at 37 weeks so I have no problems going into labor on my own. This was reassuring until I can talk to my Dr. I keep telling DH not to worry until we get our test results. I don't have a history if big babies either my last pregnancy I was almost GD but I just had to be more cautious with my food choices not diet or test blood sugars or anything. It's just very intimidating to hear about. Did it clear up after you had baby?
    I had to test blood sugar 4x daily and follow a meal plan, but I didn't have any issues keeping it under control and DS was born at 39w1d and was only 6lb11oz so yeah didn't need to worry about having a big baby. Towards the end of the pregnancy I also had to go in twice a week for NST. And it did clear up after baby.
  • Options
    I would totally recommend using a technique for labor. I did an all natural home birth and am pleased with not using any meds. I highly recommend two books: the guide to childbirth by Ina May Gaskin and Hypnobabies. The first book has two parts. The back section is the most important. It teaches you what your body is capable of and how it works. I found it really empowering and comforting to know how intuitive our bodies are. Relaxing through labor is sooooo important too. Also, my husband was an awesome coach - he read the Gaskin book too. Id recommend a doula or a very invoked and supportive husband to help you through labor. I couldn't have done it alone!
  • Options
    I'm nervous I will go into labor and something will happen where they tell me I can't have a RCS!

• Options

I was more worried the second time.  I had a great pain free birth with my first and was sure I wouldn't be that lucky a second time.  I was correct about the second birth being different, but that didn't mean it was bad.

This time I'm excited to try to imagine how this birth will go.  For me it feels like my babies dictate the labor and delivery.  If I do what they dictate, things go very smoothly and much more comfortably than I would have believed possible.  If I try to do what I think I should do or what someone else suggests...then things slowdown and get painful.  So I'm so curious to see how this one will be.

I think this is exactly how I feel. Although last birth experience wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, it wasn't bad at all. During and even after my labor, my family would ask "you sure you want to do this again?" And I'd smile and say "yes!" So I'm scaring myself into thinking there's no way I'm getting lucky twice!

You guys are making the stitches from a c-section seem doable for me. I guess it's just the fear of the unknown that's getting to me.

@loulou182 you're totally right! The recovery absolutely was the worst part! I was not prepared for that.

@MsGrace2003 Wow! I'll be praying for an easier labor for ya!

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to know I'm probably just overthinking it. I'm def looking into the techniques mentioned.

imageimageimage

• Options

I would totally recommend using a technique for labor. I did an all natural home birth and am pleased with not using any meds. I highly recommend two books: the guide to childbirth by Ina May Gaskin and Hypnobabies. The first book has two parts. The back section is the most important. It teaches you what your body is capable of and how it works. I found it really empowering and comforting to know how intuitive our bodies are. Relaxing through labor is sooooo important too. Also, my husband was an awesome coach - he read the Gaskin book too. Id recommend a doula or a very invoked and supportive husband to help you through labor. I couldn't have done it alone!

Thanks for the book recommendations. I was hoping for a med-free birth but gave in at 8 cm, then later realized I must have been transitioning. If I had a doula remind me of that I would've probably held out and opted out. I'm going to seek a doula this time around.

imageimageimage

• Options
    I am nervous about an emergency C section, but labor and delivery don't worry me as much as healing afterwards. I was in a lot of pain and had swelling last time. I'm worried ill tear again and chasing around DS will be impossible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm actually really calm about it this time. What happens, happens.

However, reading this post has me thinking twice. Yikes at some of the stories!
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Options
    The only thing I'm worried about is something going wrong so I would have to have a c-section. I had a really positive experience my first time even with being induced. My labor lasted 15 hours from the time I was given the pill till the time dd came out. I pushed for less than ten minutes so I would love to have a repeat of that experience but I don't know if I will be that lucky the second time around. 
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-section with my son.  Prior to going into labor I was terrified of having a section.  But everything happened so quickly, and I just wanted him to be okay.  So I had a panic moment then was getting rolled in.  While the recovery was painful, I did bounce back pretty well.  I made my hubby help me with my stiches, which also were the disolving kind.  I hae a friend who tore with her vaginal birth and was in much more pain way longer than I was with my csection.  I'm trying to deceide whether to do VBAC or schedule csection this time around.  The only thing I didn't care for was being disconnected from the birth, but they gave my son to my husband to show me and I found hold/nurse him while in recovery.

• Options
    I'm trying not to think about it. I had pitocin last time as I was only 1 cm dilated when my water broke on it's own. Then after they broke the rest of my water (I guess only part of it broke) they kicked up my pitocin when my body also kicked into hyperlabor drive. It was horrible until I requested an epidural. Then it was all fine! I really hope I don't have to have pitocin this time. But other than that, I don't allow myself to think about labor just yet.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• Options
    I'm not nervous about labor yet. I'll be nervous when we get closer and I find out if baby is breech or not. I have a heart shaped uterus so that can make it harder for turning the bigger babies get.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

@raclla right? me too!

@kimberlybethh did you have an epidural? I think I pushed for about 15-20 minutes but I think it's because of the epidural I had.  If I can repeat that then I may be persuaded for no meds this time around.

@GinnyJ2012 I agree, the stitches from tearing hurt me as well.  It made breastfeeding difficult since I couldn't sit up for a long time.

imageimageimage

• Options

@Nuclearcupcake, I had diet controlled GD, I was risked out of the hospital birth center, but since I was lucky enough to maintain my numbers with just diet, my care and birth were slightly different. I had a growth US at 37w, I didn't have to do NSTs, I did have weekly appointments. My mws are very evidence based, so they didn't necessarily have black and white treatment protocols (ie, you have to deliver at 39w), as long as my numbers stayed controlled by diet, they wouldn't have rec'ed an induction and would have treated me like anybody else (ie, I would have until 42w if needed with NST every other day after 41w). Baby was born normal size (7lb, 2 oz) at 39+3. Baby needed BGL testing a couple times within her 1st 24h, but her numbers all came back good. and it did go away on its own after.

Because I'm a Vbac patient my OB won't induce (I know some do) we set a date last time for my csec for 41 weeks knowing I probably wasn't going to make it to my dd and go into labor on my own and proceed with Vbac. The hospital I'm delivering at is smaller than any other one I've been to because it's a military hospital. Thank you for sharing, I'm trying not to worry to much until I take the three hour lie I said but I can't help but be a bit nervous for the "what ifs"
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    gris37 said:

and do they offer options other than staples?

I am a fourth year medical student and have participated in many c-sections and the great OB's I've worked with all use what's called a "subcuticular closure" which means they use dissolvable suture material (thread) that closes the incision just underneath the skin layer, so you actually can't see the stitches, and you don't need to have them removed because they dissolve. They usually put some steri-strips (those white little tape strips) on the skin to just keep it closed and the body does the rest! If I end up having a c-section I am going to INSIST that I have this closure because it leaves a MUCH nicer/smaller scar than staples!!! No offense to any OB's out there who use staples, but it seems like kind of the lazy way to go!
  • Options
    Not too nervous at this point, but we hired an amazing doula and I have always felt so comfortable with my OB. Just to give an example, I once got a phone call from her office that freaked me the f&*% out and I had no idea what it meant. Quick google search lead me to assume the worst and I called the office bawling. The nurse put me on hold for a minute and told me to come in. She put me right in my doc's office on the couch and about 20 minutes later she came in and sat and hugged me and talked to me until I was calm, explaining that what they were calling about wasn't even that big of a deal in the long run, so warm and caring. I know she's a bit old school and not 100% receptive to trying to go med-free but she makes me feel comfortable enough that I'm not worrying just yet. 
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• Options
    Oh, and aside from the c section... My mom, you know, 30 years ago, had me by one and they cut her up and down, so her stomach has always liked like a butt. Don't want that to happen either.
    That's called a "classical incision" which is rarely used these days unless there's a specific medical reason to use it. These days they pretty much always use a "low transverse" incision which is horizontal and low across your abdomen. So unless you have something abnormal going on (your placenta in a weird place, the baby positioned poorly, adhesions, etc) it is very unlikely that they will have to do a vertical incision! :)
  • Options

Oh, and aside from the c section... My mom, you know, 30 years ago, had me by one and they cut her up and down, so her stomach has always liked like a butt. Don't want that to happen either.

That's called a "classical incision" which is rarely used these days unless there's a specific medical reason to use it. These days they pretty much always use a "low transverse" incision which is horizontal and low across your abdomen. So unless you have something abnormal going on (your placenta in a weird place, the baby positioned poorly, adhesions, etc) it is very unlikely that they will have to do a vertical incision! :)

This is what I heard as well, that they only do that now for medical reasons. My mom has the same issue from when she had a cesarean. So I was scared that would happen to me. Mine is so low and small that I am thankful.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

The only thing I'm really terrified about is having to have a c-section and being awake for it. I can't stand needles and surgery and whatnot as it is, and there's no way I could handle being conscious while they cut into me and all. I'd rather them just knock me out entirely and let me wake up to my baby all clean and snuggled up with my husband.

This was me, my whole first pregnancy! I was so against being induced because I was scared it would cause a c-section. Well turns out I had to be induced because of high blood pressure and DS measuring big at my 37 wk u/s. My induction turned into a c/s, I partly blame the Drs. for rushing (broke my water, cathed me and gave epidural at 2 cm...2cm!). Anyways I had to have an emergency c/s and my epidural didn't take so I felt everything when they cut into me and they had to put me under completely. I was really upset because when I came to I was so disoriented and could hear DS crying but couldn't focus on him. Then they took me to recovery and sent DH with him to the nursery after they assured me that they would go with me to recovery to do skin to skin and breast feed. It was almost 5 hours before I got to meet my son because they gave him a bath while I was in recovery and had to wait until his temp came back up to come to my room. After all that I want to do a VBAC but they won't induce me so if I haven't went into labor on my own by 39 weeks they'll do a RCS. I'm hoping it will be a better experience since it'll be planned...maybe.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not real nervous.. Yet. I felt strangely at peace going into labor with DS, even though I am a really really anxious person. My biggest concern is that I will tear again and have trouble healing. I still don't understand how I managed to tear forward and up towards my clitoris but it was a PITA to get to heal. Labor was short, hopefully I get that lucky again!
  • Options
    I'm not real nervous.. Yet. I felt strangely at peace going into labor with DS, even though I am a really really anxious person. My biggest concern is that I will tear again and have trouble healing. I still don't understand how I managed to tear forward and up towards my clitoris but it was a PITA to get to heal. Labor was short, hopefully I get that lucky again!
    Oh dear god! I didn't know that was possible. I haven't been having any anxiety about delivery, but I'm 99% sure I'll have a nightmare about this tonight!

I still kind of blame the OB that was delivering.. She was rough. And then she stitched me up all crooked. I just pray it doesn't happen again! Or any other tearing hopefully.
  • Options
    I was terrified of delivery with my first, like normal. And I had a horrible delivery experience. So with my second I was very apprehensive, but I don't think nervous because I knew what to expect. And my second delivery was about as perfect as I could imagine, even though I was induced. This time I'm going to the same hospital, so I know what to expect and I know I will have another great experience.

But I'm also delivering at The areas top notch nicu hospital so even if anything does go wrong, I know I'm in the best possible hands. I think that helps immensely in easing my anxiety.

Good luck! The best advice I can give is to enjoy what is happening in your pregnancy today and try not to think about tomorrow. We have a whole lot more tomorrow before delivery. :)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    mikescutie7mikescutie7 member
    edited February 2014
    A coworker today horrified with me with stories of her pre-eclampsia, toxemia, and experience with c-sections. Another newly pregnant coworker of mine was nearly crying when she was telling us all this lol

But really not nervous yet, probably when the time gets closer. It all feels so far away
    photo c9f20a08-e61b-4141-972e-d243ea91d7a9.jpg
  • Options
    Don't let others share their delivery room war stories! I was so terrified by these stories, and then I had a bad experience. Luckily for me, my second was a dream! The best response I've learned is to politely but firmly tell the sharer, "I'm really not comfortable hearing your experience. I'm already a little nervous, so I would rather hear only positive things."

The over sharers don't always listen but I quickly became confident enough to just WALK AWAY if the person continued to speak. Good luck and happy deliveries!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    gris37 said:

@raclla right? me too!

@kimberlybethh did you have an epidural? I think I pushed for about 15-20 minutes but I think it's because of the epidural I had.  If I can repeat that then I may be persuaded for no meds this time around.

@GinnyJ2012 I agree, the stitches from tearing hurt me as well.  It made breastfeeding difficult since I couldn't sit up for a long time.

I did have an epidural. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it along with having a baby that weighed less than six pounds. She was so small she almost slid right out :) 
  • Options
    Wow ... I had an emergency C and I didn't think it was that bad. I labored for 5 hours, pushed for an hour , fetal heart rate kept dropping, OB strongly recommended C, and I signed off on it. I didn't SEE the surgery (the OR team put up a sheet) and the whole surgery was very short. My recovery wasn't that bad... the incision was itchy for a few days, but it wasn't terrible. Also, my scar is only about 3 inches long and very low.

I am going for a VBAC this time, but if I need a C I won't be heartbroken.

• Options
    I am actually not worried about it at all this time.  My delivery with DS was really rough (vaginal, 3rd degree episiotomy, 2 hours pushing, horrible hemis and due to being induced for high bp, I was restricted to laying on my sides for 12 hours of labor and ended up with nerve damage on one hip due to it.)  Suffice it to say I was a little worried going into that with DD again.  But it was a completely different experience.  I was induced again for high bp, but labor was half the time, I wasn't as limited on how to lay because my bp wasn't as high and I only pushed for 20 min.  

From both labor experiences I've learned two things about my body: a) I might not be able to go into labor naturally or without pitocin.  With DD, my water was broken as a I was 4cm when I went in for inducement and although we gave it time to start labor, I never had a true contraction until the pitocin was hooked up. And b) an epidural speeds up my labor tenfold.  It makes me relax and I dilate fast once I've gotten it.  Knowing both of things things calms my mind because I know that I will likely be induced for one reason or another, and that I will not hesitate to get an epidural when I'm ready. 

I think that knowledge makes me feel more comfortable.  And maybe I'll feel more nervous later on in the pregnancy, but I'm not worried at all yet.
    Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"