Multiples
Options

Pumping at work

Hi Everyone! It has been a couple of months since I was last on here. Sorry for being MIA.  I just returned to work a few weeks ago and am having a really difficult time keeping up with what my twins need.  I'm able to pump 12-15oz each work day at 3 pumping sessions. So, I am able to send two 3-4oz breastmilk bottles for each twin to daycare and 2 bottles of formula.  Before returning to work, I was pretty much EBF. They did receive some formula from time to time.  So, I am not too worried about that, but would like to increase my supply if possible.  Should I be pumping more often at work?  When I try to pump in the evenings at home, I barely get anything. I think the babes drain me after work and they still wake up often to nurse.  The twins are 6 months old tomorrow! (wow! time sure goes by fast!) and have started on solids for lunch and dinner.  I am taking fenugreek.  Any other tips would be great!! Thank you!

Re: Pumping at work

• Options
    With my now toddler, my OB had me drinking mother's milk tea, too. They tell you to steep it forever, so it ends up rather bitter. We always had issues with nursing, and she still has some eating and appetite issues, so I'm pribably not the best judge of its effectiveness. I found it at GNC.
  • Options
    I fully admit that I obsess about my pumping output, my freezer stash, and how to allocate ounces when I'm at work.

I don't pump enough to meet their needs at work - I get between 18-20 oz and need 24+ (3 4oz bottles each and I've been upping those bottles a bit). They used to sleep 11pm-7a so I'd wake up engorged and pump off enough to cover my deficit. Before I went back to work, I built my stash with it.

And then they started waking at night - 2x sometimes 3x to eat - and I didn't have my morning pump to cover my gaps. I've been dipping into my stash and I started taking more milk plus and cal/mag/zinc. I've noticed that I'm fuller and pump prob an extra oz or two.

It's continually frustrating bc I have more than enough on the weekend when I'm home w them.

As much as it sucks,I'd prob up my weekend pumping to bank some extra oz for the week. Pump after their first morning feed before work if you can. When you pump at work, turn it back to fast/let down speed at the end to get another let down. If you have your own office, do a power pump in the middle of the day.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    While I haven't pumped yet with twins, I wanted to say with my singleton son the 6 month mark was the hardest time for me to pump as much as he needed.  However, starting him on solids really helped to balance everything out.  Just wanted to send a note of encouragement and hope that works out the same for you!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Also! How's your water intake? Are you eating enough? I bf my oldest for 20mo and BFing twins is seriously more physically draining.

I also have had success upping my protein intake. I'm not a big meat eater but when I eat greek yogurt, eggs, etc I see a boost in output. Oatmeal helps me too.

• Options

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice! I truly appreciate it!  The power pump in the middle of the day is a great idea!  @carrotcake06 what do you do - pump 10, off 10, on 10, off 10 again for an hour?  We have private mother's rooms at work which would make this easy to do if I don't have any meetings. My girl has been up about every 2 hours throughout the night wanting to nurse. So, when I've pumped in the morning I have maybe 1/2 an ounce - it is sad.  I don't feel that engorged feeling anymore in the mornings like I used to. I started just yesterday going back to the fast/let down speed on the pump during my pump session and it does seem to give me another ounce which is great! I don't know why I didn't think to do that sooner.  I'll try to drink more water and eat more protein as well.  I tried to drink mother's tea, but the brand I got tastes like black licorice which I absolutely hate. So, it is not very appealing to me. Thanks again everyone!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"