May 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone high risk? Pre-term labor?

I had my checkup with my doc today and my glucose test done. I will be 25 weeks on Monday. When I was pregnant with my DS I had PTL starting at 30 weeks and was in and out of L&D where I was given shots to stop contractions and then started on Brethine till 37 weeks. I was taken off of the meds and delivered a week later on my own after my water broke after a night stay to monitor high blood pressure and strong contractions. I did not receive the proper care and help from my previous doctor so I switched. My new doctor has been great and is really supportive/understanding. 

Also, after DS was born I had a miscarriage back in May with a DNC in June. Also another miscarriage in August and was placed on Progesterone for the first 15 weeks of this pregnancy. My doctor told me today he wanted to do an ultrasound in 2 weeks to check cervical length and monitor it by doing ultrasounds every couple of weeks. I've very thankful he's taking precautionary measures, but can anyone give me any more info on this? Are the ultrasound vaginal ultrasounds? TIA! :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

Re: Anyone high risk? Pre-term labor?

• Options
    Cervical length ultrasounds are generally vaginal, yes. I went into PTL on Tuesday this week. :( If you start having regular contractions, see if they'll run a Fetal Fibronectin test. That will give them an idea whether you'll go into full blown labor in the following 2 weeks.

I'm currently taking Progesterone 17 injections weekly and now I'm on Procardia 2-3 times per day. My daughter was born preterm as well after Id been in labor for 3ish weeks.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    They can measure cervical length abdominally via ultrasound but its not as accurate and it can be blocked by baby being in a bad position. When I was in L&D two weeks ago, they tried to measure abdominally as my MFM requested no TV ultrasounds- but baby had her head stuck down there and blocked all view. Usually if the intent is to check cervical length- they'll just go transvaginally. 

I'm high risk for both PTL and incompetent cervix but my doctors have decided not to do additional cervical checks for fear of introducing infection unless symptoms merit. That's a rare case though and my cervix is basically only being held together by the cerclage at this point. If the cerclage starts to fail, bleeding occurs. So there's no real point in sticking the TV wand up my vajayjay just to see that I'm still hanging out at the same crappy measurement unless there's bleeding involved (in which case they'll likely have to clip my cerclage and deliver- but we are hoping it doesn't come to that for a couple of months)

I see you're only a couple days behind me so you'll be too far along for most docs to consider a rescue cerclage if you start to dilate. So if your measurements start to look bad you can expect to be put on restricted activity or bed rest to give you as much time baking this baby as possible :)
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm 23 weeks (FTM), and this past month I've been seen every week due to my BP and 24 hr urine screen results. More and more, it's looking like I'm developing pre-e so my OB is having me schedule with an MFM because there is now a higher possibility that I wont carry to term. 

I'm trying not to stress about it since that doesnt do me any good, and just praying that I can make it as close to EDD as possible. 

Good Luck and here's hoping that everything goes well for you this time around.

• Options
    Anyone else's OB not believe in bed rest? After I went into labor this week I thought that's where we were headed, but they said that new studies show that "light activity" is just as effective as bed rest but reduces the risk of blood clots that bed rest forms.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes my first OB never but me on bed rest and didn't take the steps I thought and others thought were necessary to stop my pre term labor. Finally after one of the labor and delivery nurses called her, she called me and told me to get to the hospital ASAP. I was going to be monitored over the weekend for the high blood pressure but ended up going into labor the next morning.

That being said..I was 38 weeks and was ASKED at 36 weeks if I wanted to come out of work..I didn't know what I was doing so suggested that I work another week. Had I known how serious it all was..I would've gone out immediately!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"