Cloth Diapering
Options

another DIY wipe question

LaBellaVidaLaBellaVida member
edited January 2014 in Cloth Diapering
I'm making my own wipes this weekend. I'm using flannel. I'm using my aunts sewing machine and she has a serger, but I'm not sure if she's going to have it available for me to use because they just moved. I would prefer to serge the wipes, but if i can't what do you recommend on the stitch? I need a good hold since it's flannel and i don't want them to unravel.

I have no clue what I'm doing, so some advice will be appreciated.

Thank ya!!! :-)

Re: another DIY wipe question

• Options
    Wide zig zag will work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I turned and topstitched. Super easy, but more work.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I turned and topstitched. Super easy, but more work.
    Mandmeesh said:
    Wide zig zag will work.
    I've done both. Wipes are really hard to ruin and IMO, it's okay if they don't turn out perfect. They're a good practice/beginners project.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've just started mine. I some t&t but think I will go with the zig zag for the rest. I think they lay a little more flat and it's less work

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• Options
    I zig zagged and ran the edges through so that the zig went on the front side and the zag went underneath to the back (if that makes sense).
    ?
    Yea I figured it wouldn't. I was half asleep during a MOTN feeding. I was trying to explain that I put the edge right in the middle of my presser foot so the stitch wraps around both sides. It's probably how everyone else does it.
    isn't that called overlock stitching or something?  like serging, but with a regular machine
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I experimented a little with stitches, and the one that has held up the best for me was something like the bottom D or F in this picture. I did it so the pointy part was toward the edge of the wipe and the sort of straighter side was toward the body of the wipe, if that makes any sense.
    600 × 274 - crafts.tutsplus.com

• Options
    unaveragejaneunaveragejane member
    edited February 2014
    @Chickypoo2468 - My zig zagged wipes aren't falling apart, but I don't really like fraying. My cheap, single-ply serged flannel wipes (don't remember the brand) are unraveling a little, and they drive me nuts.

• Options
    I'm planning on doing two ply.
    I hope to have no issue with unraveling.

I hope i can just serge them

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"