Baby Names
Options

Need some direction on a boy name

Just confirmed we are having a baby boy and looking for some help looking at name alternatives.

Background: Last name is Italian but fairly short. (Sounds pretty close to Barillo.)

We don't like trendy or super popular names, loathe "unique" names. We'd like something classic but not super-common, with a strong sound to it. Ideally, the name would at least have a nodding acquaintance to, or at least "go" one or more of our ethnicities -- Italian, French and Russian. (This could be very subtle, I don't necessarily mean names like Enzo, Pierre and Feodor.) 

I LOVE the name Nicholas. DH likes it, but hates the nickname Nick and isn't really feeling any of the alternatives either. 

I've thrown out other options (some of which I like more than others): Alexander, Steven, RIchard, Daniel, Joshua, etc. All of which were rejected by DH for various reasons (too close to a friend's son's name, bad nickname, creepy second cousin's name, just not feeling it, etc.)

Any other suggestions that might work for us? Or feedback on Nicholas/Nick issue? I feel like Nick is such an inoffensive name, I'm sort of blown away that he dislikes it. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Need some direction on a boy name

• Options
    First thing that came to mind was Leo.
  • Options
    BulgariHeartBulgariHeart member
    edited January 2014
    Really like Nicholas! Other suggestions could be Gabriel, Samuel, Louis, Guillaume, Arthur, David/Davide, Philip/Philippe, Sasha, Clement, Federico, Antoine, Laurent. ETA Andreas
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Anthony, Mateo, Julian, Leo, Dominic
  • Options
    Leo, Julian, Joseph,Nico for Nicholas, Pierce, Abel, Luca, Adam, Brice, Gabriel (love this), Sebastian, Anton, David, Dominic, max,
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options
    Everyone pretty much mentioned all the suggestions I was going to.

Matteo/Mattias
    Gabriel
    Leo
    Max
    Adrian
    Julian
    Luca

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    bromios said:

Etienne (possibly my second favorite boy name ever)

OMG you solidified my girl crush. I am obsessed with this name.

• Options
    Theodore,  NN Theo?

I love Nicholas with Nico as a NN.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    bromios said:
    bromios said:

Etienne (possibly my second favorite boy name ever)

OMG you solidified my girl crush. I am obsessed with this name.
    Oh gosh... :\"> ;) Seriously though, isn't it amazing? It is so strong and masculine but still refined and elegant, and that is not always easy to find! I first heard it when I was reading I Capture the Castle, as in Etienne de Godys. It was love at first sight!
    I wish I had as cool of a story about finding it. I first heard it was a city in France- Saint Etienne-through their soccer team. LOL. You're clearly fancier than me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"