May 2013 Moms
Options

why wont he feed himself

My LO will not pick up food and eat it himself. The minute it touches his mouth he makes a sour face and stops. I put the same food on a spoon and feed it to him he eats like a champ. I don't know what to do
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: why wont he feed himself

• Options
    I'd wait it out a little. Just keep putting stuff on his tray and he'll play with it first and then eventually will get the hang of it. Maybe he just isn't ready yet. Everyone starts at their own pace.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree with PP - give it some more time. I'd just keep offering and trying, eventually he will do it. I think a pincher grasp is a ten month milestone? I think a lot of babies do it before then but it's not considered late until after ten months from what I've read. It's kind of like babies who crawl at 6 months and mine who still isn't crawling very well. They all focus on different things at different times.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son can only eat something long. No pincer grip yet. It will come with time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    5953fpp said:

I agree with PP - give it some more time. I'd just keep offering and trying, eventually he will do it. I think a pincher grasp is a ten month milestone? I think a lot of babies do it before then but it's not considered late until after ten months from what I've read. It's kind of like babies who crawl at 6 months and mine who still isn't crawling very well. They all focus on different things at different times.

He has his pincher grasp and he can do it. He just won't actually eat it. And playing with it he's a pro.
  • Options
    R went through that phase. He would sit and yell at me to pick it up for him. He just sat there with his mouth open like a little bird. Then suddenly for the last two days he is refusing spoons. He will only eat what he can pick up or he'll suck from the pouch directly. Driving me bonkers. He also still refuses to hold his own bottle when eating. When he's done he'll hold it without a problem.
  • Options
    my son does this sometimes. usually if I eat some and look all excited that encourages him to actually eat. 
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    we have the opposite issue...refuses food unless he is eating it on his own.
    .I think you are the luckier one though because I am sure your LO is eating more because you feed him and it has to be much neater too.
  • Options
    Yes, we are in the same boat as @mslaurats.  S only wants to feed herself!
  • Options
    Jack isn't anywhere near feeding himself. Give it time. 
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't even tried to let LO feed herself yet. I wouldn't be concerned. 
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    just a thought, but could it be a texture thing?
  • Options
    My kids hucks it on the floor and the dog gets it. She uses those banana rice cake things like chalk and get tray as the board on her high chair. She has zero concept about feeding herself. I'm not worried about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MJ isnt feeding himself... MAYBE he will get one or two puffs in his mouth if he is lucky.

Otherwise it is all spoon fed (still purees) all day every day!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"