2nd Trimester

How much weight have you gained by 19 weeks? What is a normal amount?

I have gained about 9-10 lbs since becoming pregnant. I am now 19 weeks and feel huge! I started out at 5'2'' and 114 lbs and adding on 10 lbs has me feeling like a whale. Is this too much too quickly? Where are the rest of you?

Re: How much weight have you gained by 19 weeks? What is a normal amount?

• I'll be 18 weeks on Sunday and I'm up 2lbs. This is also my third baby and didn't lose all my baby weight from my second so I had more weight on me to begin with. Dr.s typically want you to gain between 25-35lbs so if you feel huge now, just wait! lol
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• At 19 weeks, I hadn't gained anything yet. Probably because I was sick until 16 weeks and by 19 I hadn't gotten my appetite back. I started gaining after 20 weeks... Now, I'm almost 4 weeks from my due date and I've stayed at 30 lbs for a month or so. It depends on you! Don't let how much or little weight others have gained make you feel insecure about what's going on with you. As pp has suggested, talk to your doctor about it because that's your best bet of keeping everything under control. I'm sure your doctor can be extremely helpful.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're eating healthy what you gain doesn't matter. FWIW Im similar in size to you and with my 3 previous babies I gained about 10 lbs in the first and second trimester and barely 5 in the third- which is pretty opposit to most who gain the majority at the end. Its just what my body does.
  • Everyone is different. My recommended weight gain, per my doctor, is 15lbs for the entire pregnancy. I am at 8lbs at 19 weeks, and she said it's fine. I have feeling I will be be gaining closer to 20, but as long as I am eating healthy and staying super hydrated, it's ok. 

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • I'm 5-2 and started out at 127.  Now the scale says 135.  I work out everyday but it is still so hard to get used to gaining weight.
  • I'm 19 weeks too.
  • I'm 17 weeks and I've gained 13lbs :( This is terrible. I try to eat well (I cheat ONCE in a while). I workout. Nothing I can do to stop it.

Now that I feel better, I'm going to try to reduce my carbs again. I had a very strict way of eating before I got pregnant, so I knew any little change (increasing carbs) would freak my body out and gain easily.

Baby is healthy and that's what matters most. I'll try to keep within the 30lbs as much as I can.
  • Hi LrCg - did you do anything differently in the third trimester to make you gain a great 5lbs? That's awesome! I need to do what you did next trimester!

*LrCg* said:
    If you're eating healthy what you gain doesn't matter. FWIW Im similar in size to you and with my 3 previous babies I gained about 10 lbs in the first and second trimester and barely 5 in the third- which is pretty opposit to most who gain the majority at the end. Its just what my body does.

• 18 weeks and I've only gained 2 lbs so far.  I know last time around I had gained more by this point.  I agree with others that the number doesn't matter (though doctors do recommend 25-30 overall), but each woman is obviously different and will gain different amounts at different periods of pregnancy.  As others recommend, if you are concerned, talk to your doctor about it.
  • coffee89coffee89 member
    edited January 2014
    If you search there are probably hundreds of threads just like this that can help answer you. Also this really is a question for you doctor. If they aren't concerned then there is no reason for you to be. All I can suggest is to make sure you are eating healthy nutrient dense foods vs junk.

To answer your question I've gained nothing at week 20.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • I only gained like 4 lbs by 18 weeks and a total of 8 by 22 weeks

It's a BOY

• Hi LrCg - did you do anything differently in the third trimester to make you gain a great 5lbs? That's awesome! I need to do what you did next trimester!

*LrCg* said:

If you're eating healthy what you gain doesn't matter. FWIW Im similar in size to you and with my 3 previous babies I gained about 10 lbs in the first and second trimester and barely 5 in the third- which is pretty opposit to most who gain the majority at the end. Its just what my body does.

Honestly I barely paid attention to my weight, my midwife never weighs me just asks for a detailed list of what I eat. With all my pregnancies I've had a food advesion to sweets. I also don't like chicken in my first trimester so I eat more pastas so I always assume that's why I gain that in the beginning then go back to my regular eating habits. Also because I'm short in the third trimester I have to eat a ton of mini meals since everything is all squished inside the body.
  • It's a better question for your doctor. Weight gain varies by each woman, and also what's best for each woman varies. With DS I gained on average 1 pound a week, so by this same point I would already be up 20 lbs. I gained 50 total with him and am only 5 feet even, so I looked huge! With this pregnancy I am up probably 7 pounds or so?

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• I was up 18 pounds at 22 weeks. A coworker friend of mine is 32 weeks and is only up 5 pounds. Both our doctors say we're fine and babies are developing right on track. Everyone is different. We're different ages, heights, starting weights, body types, metabolisms, etc... Too many variables.
  • I'm 25 weeks and I really haven't gained any weight. I've just gained it back. I was 120 at the beginning, and was brutally sick the first tri and lost 10 lbs. I've only just gotten back up to 120 now. My first pregnancy I was up nearly 20lbs by now, (gained 45 by the end) but I wasn't nearly as sick.
  • i am 20wks tomorrow with my third and have gained 6-7lbs so far. i don't know what is normal- it really depends on too many things, what your bmi was before, if the baby is having a growth spurt, etc. sometimes you put on a lot of weight one week and nothing the next. there is a weight tracker tool i use on babycenter.com that will let you enter your info and give you a gauge for how much is "normal". 

but if your dr isn't worried, i wouldn't give it another thought. we have our whole lives to lose this weight. i don't have a swimsuit issue to shoot anytime soon. lol!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It sounds like you are right on track.  My OB said on average, 10 lbs by 20 weeks and then 1 lb per week after that.  I am trying to gain no more than 30 lbs this pregnancy but we'll see what happens.  At 21 weeks I was up 8 lbs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• I'm 15 weeks and have gained 14lbs.  It's subjective though, for me this is perfectly healthy whereas for someone else it may not be.
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • I gained 1.5 pounds at 19 weeks but everyone is different. Like everyone else said, talk to your doctor. :)
  • Yes, everyone is different. 
    I totally understand feeling huge... but in the end, we all end up gaining the same average amounts (typically). 
    With my first, I gained a total of 27 lbs. I know I gained most of it in the front half and gained nothing the last 2 months. Seriously, not a pound.  I was freaking out because by 32 weeks I had gained 27 lbs and was thinking I was going to hit 40.

With this little guy, I'm on the same track. At 22 weeks, I've already gained nearly 20 lbs and can tell my body is slowing down. For some reason, I gain it all in the front half of my pregnancies.  

Knock on wood that I only gain another 7-10 lbs in the next 18 weeks, but I have a feeling I will.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lara0802 said:
    Yes, everyone is different. 
    I totally understand feeling huge... but in the end, we all end up gaining the same average amounts (typically). 
    With my first, I gained a total of 27 lbs. I know I gained most of it in the front half and gained nothing the last 2 months. Seriously, not a pound.  I was freaking out because by 32 weeks I had gained 27 lbs and was thinking I was going to hit 40.

With this little guy, I'm on the same track. At 22 weeks, I've already gained nearly 20 lbs and can tell my body is slowing down. For some reason, I gain it all in the front half of my pregnancies.  

Knock on wood that I only gain another 7-10 lbs in the next 18 weeks, but I have a feeling I will.
    Please let this be me...lol.  I'm up 21lbs already and will be 23 weeks tomorrow.  
    ~Jessica~ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"