May 2014 Moms
Options

The Wine Debate

During my first two pregnancies, my OB encouraged me go have the occasional small glass of red wine later in pregnancy to help with discomfort and to relax.

I am fully aware that there is not risk associated with the occasional small glass of wine. However, I just have a hard time sitting down while pregnant and fully enjoy it.

I'm wondering what you ladies think/do.

Re: The Wine Debate

• Options
    I rationally think it's ok, but it still feels weird to drink. I never thought I'd feel weird about it!

I find that when I do have the occasional bit of alcohol, I'm most comfortable with a half or small serving. I enjoy it more that way.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    In my second trimester I enjoyed the (very) occasional glass of red wine but I've stopped since I found out I had GD. The doc said not even occasionally now.

I don't see a problem with it however I say if you're not going to fully enjoy it and getting comfortable with the idea seems strange, just skip it.

Also for me, one small glass isn't going to relax me. I just had some because I absolutely love, love love wine. For discomfort and relaxation I prefer breathing exercises, yoga or a nice massage. :)
  • Options
    I agree with pp's - as long as you're not going crazy, all research says a little won't hurt you or LO. Go with your gut: if it feels wrong, then go with that. If you're comfortable, then go with that.

A point of consideration: in general, red wine tends to be more acidic. If acid reflux has been a problem for you during pregnancy (or ever, really), you might want to consider what the reflix backlash may do to you.

Reflux really the only reason I haven't indulged in an occasionaly glass of red wine. 

Cheers!
  • Options
    When I don't enjoy doing something, I typically don't do it.
    Unless it's stuff like work or getting my car's state inspection done. 

So if you're not enjoying your glass of wine, skip it. If your doctor suggested it to help with relaxation and discomfort, but by drinking it, it causes those things just seems counterproductive IMO.
  • Options
    Last time around, I didn't have any alcohol at all except for a few small sips of champagne spritzers at my baby shower. This time around, I haven't had any yet, but I'm not opposed to it. Once I hit the third trimester, I may enjoy a glass of red wine or two. I don't see any issue with having a small quantity infrequently.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've had a small glass here and there and have enjoyed every drop. I'm not brave enough to do it in public though, I'd feel too self-consious to order any kind of alcholic beverage when I'm showing so obviously.
  • Options
    I had a beer at the dine in movie theatre during my last date with DH. It was glorious. Until the heartburn, oh the heartburn! Also - where is pt cruiser chick to come yell at us that we are horrible mothers and are killing our babies and stuff?
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I agree--Cheers! I love pairing good wine with good food and have done so throughout the second trimester. All things in moderation :) That said, if it's not relaxing for you and you don't enjoy it, I'm sure you can find other things to enjoy/help you relax. :)
  • Options
    Oh trust- I'm not looking for permission, just assessing what others do.

My husband and I are huge wine fanatics. We are skipping our yearly February trip to Napa this year since I am the size of a whale and painfully sober. When we go to our local winery, I mostly just want to cry. Or slap him for getting the joys of a child without the sacrifices of carrying one.
  • Options
    Ooohhh, I am unfamiliar with said PT Cruiser Lady, but I DO hope she makes an appearance.
  • Options
    I don't because if I did and something went wrong, the kid had learning or behavioral difficulties etc, then I would always question if it was because of the alcohol. I think like you said, OP, that I wouldn't enjoy it, so it's not worth it to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    tjkdlhb said:
    I don't because if I did and something went wrong, the kid had learning or behavioral difficulties etc, then I would always question if it was because of the alcohol. I think like you said, OP, that I wouldn't enjoy it, so it's not worth it to me.
    Eh, my kid has severe global delays but I'm not about to start blaming myself.

ETA: I guess I just mean that alcohol or not, if you are going to end up blaming yourself in the event of any challenges your child has you'll go crazy.  Maybe it was the food you ate?  The medicine you took?  Ultimately you can't control everything.
    True that, Kitchen!

I'm not pro or anti wine...I've had champagne a couple times (my sister's 30th birthday, a wedding). I'd have a glass of wine if I was somewhere with an open bottle. I'm not going to open a whole bottle and drink one glass, haha.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've had a glass and will probably have another at some point.  Drink up (well, you know what I mean!)

imageimageimage

• Options
    spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited January 2014

I rationally think it's ok, but it still feels weird to drink. I never thought I'd feel weird about it!

I find that when I do have the occasional bit of alcohol, I'm most comfortable with a half or small serving. I enjoy it more that way.

This is me too. I had maybe half a glass of wine with Christmas dinner and that's been it so far. I was really looking forward to that but felt weird about it as I was drinking it. I'm not sure if I'll have any more before the baby comes, even though I know objectively that it would be ok.
  • Options
    I definitely don't judge women who have the occasional glass of wine during pregnancy. I've had 2 glasses of wine during this pregnancy and felt sick after, so it's just not for me right now.

What really bothers me is how judgmental people are regarding drinking during pregnancy. I was at the store the other day buying cooking wine for a pot roast, and so many people looked at me like I'd just kicked their puppy. The cashier gave me a death glare as she rang it up. So I guess that's why I'm all for OP having a glass if she enjoys it. I only said skip it because I got the impression it was causing a lot of anxiety.
  • Options
    I don't drink even not pregnant because I get hungover easily. But I think it's completely ok as long as it's occasional!
  • Options
    My first pregnancy I went completely cold turkey and didn't drink a drop from the second that second line came up....

This time, I have tried to relax a little bit and had a glass of champagne at Thanksgiving and a half a glass a wine around Christmas...but it just didn't feel right.  I wish I could get over it because I can really use a glass of wine...
  • Options
    I haven't really missed it, so it hasn't been an issue.  I might enjoy a small glass if the mood strikes later in the third tri.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    What really bothers me is how judgmental people are regarding drinking during pregnancy. I was at the store the other day buying cooking wine for a pot roast, and so many people looked at me like I'd just kicked their puppy. The cashier gave me a death glare as she rang it up. So I guess that's why I'm all for OP having a glass if she enjoys it. I only said skip it because I got the impression it was causing a lot of anxiety.
    When I was pregnant with my first, we were hosting a party at our house.  I went to the ABC store and bought about 6 bottles of hard liquor (I was 8 months pregnant at the time).  Everyone in the store was side-eyeing me and the cashier would not look me in the eye.  I finally just kind of shouted "I'm not drinking this; I'm hosting a party"  and the guy's sigh of relief was palpable.  

He said he was really glad because he actually gets a lot of pregnant patrons and a good chunk of them are not hosting a party.  :/  

As for the OP, I stay away from wine out of severe paranoia and guilt (I'm from a half-Catholic, half-Jewish family, so we know guilt well).  But I totally don't judge other people who do it.  I'm stocking up my wine and my breastmilk/alcohol test strips for after baby is born.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I can't bring myself to have any. Didn't have any alcohol at all while pregnant with DD and I don't think I will with this one either. Rationally I know that my kid would be ok, but I think I would worry too much throughout the pregnancy that I screwed up my baby by having that glass of wine. And if something did go wrong I would probably always wonder if it was because of the wine. I think it's fine to have a glass here and there if you want to, but it couldn't do it myself!
  • Options
    When I am not pregnanth I enjoy beer and wine I don't drink at all during pregnancy because I don't see the point of having just one, lol Probably won't really drink afterward so either unless we have a sitter and Ive pumped before hand
  • Options
    KBowen715 said:

Sometimes I have caffeine too. What, what?

Oh I have caffeine everyday, just small amounts! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I will be having a glass of wine with dinner when DH and I go away for v-day.. I don't see anything wrong with it at all and I've personally had a few glasses of wine throughout this pregnancy and I even split a beer with my brother lol shoot me ... Some people think too much about it I mean seriously my grandma used to go to the bar 9 months pregnant and get drunk no big deal it was normal no one side eyed you and my mom turned out normal... Not saying I'd ever do so nor suggest it but people need to relax about it some people smoke crack ... I don't think the occasional glass of wine or beer will hurt you or baby
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My mom and sister had a glass of wine or a beer per week with each pregnancy (4 and 3 kids, respectively), so I've kind of used that as a guideline. That first glass of wine once my second tri started was pretty much the best thing I've ever had. :)
    But, as PPs have said, if you're not going to enjoy it, it's probably not worth it.
  • Options
    XathXath member
    edited January 2014
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I've enjoyed a bit of wine and beer since my 2nd trimester.  Loved every last sip and was also sad to have to stop at a small glass or 1/2 a beer. 
    As for drinking during nursing...I don't really worry about it.  I never drink too much, and figure that if I have a drink while or right after I finish nursing, it will be out of my system by the time baby bellies up to the milk bar again! 
    Would worry more about having 3-4 drinks in a short period of time, but that doesn't happen hardly ever anymore (pregnant, nursing, or otherwise)!  You know you're a mom when....

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I have a glass of red wine every week, usually on Friday. It's my celebration for getting through a rough work week. My doctor has no issues with it. I also have my daily coffee too.
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    First pregnancy I stayed away entirely.

This pregnancy I have had a few glasses and enjoyed every damn drop. It does make me sad that I have to stop at one though.
    Stopping at one is the worst part :/ I've had 2 small glasses of wine and a half a beer this pregnancy. As long as you don't overdue it I see nothing wrong with it. I had a nice pinot noir with dinner when we went on an overnight trip and it was ahhhhmazing. 
    I'm a complete lush IRL so I'm counting down the days until I can indulge a bit more. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"