January 2013 Moms

s/o travel: taxis/rental cars and carseats?

Our family is planning a trip to Florida, and we are planning to fly there. However, once we arrive we'll need to either rent a car or take a taxi to get to our destination, as well as other places in the area. So what do we do about a carseat?? Fly with the convertible carseat and install it into each vehicle we use? Am I missing something here, because this sounds like a lot of work.

Re: s/o travel: taxis/rental cars and carseats?

• That's exactly what you should do.  The safest place for a child to be in a plane or a car is in their car seat.  Do NOT rent a carseat from a rental company.  Often times these seats are dirty, expired and have an unknown history.  The seat could've been in an accident, and could fail if you were in an accident.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • weve traveleld a lot with DD. we usually just check the convertible car seat and rent a car. we install it once and then check it on the way home too. If were going to visit friends out of town they usually can get a carseat from a friend so we just borrow one and dont bother bringing our own. You can also rent car seats from car rental companies or baby supply rental companies like babys away!

• Loading the player...
  • Another great option is to get a cheap, light weight car seat specifically for travel.  The Cosco Scenera is only 6lbs ($40 at Walmart) and the Cosco Apt is only 11lbs ($60 at Walmart).  These seats pass the same tests and are just as safe as expensive seats.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We bought a car seat "backpack" from diapers dot com so that we could check the convertible car seat with a little padding. I won't lie; it was extremely heavy to carry. I would research which car seats fit well into the backpacks. We needed two people to wrestle with the car seat to get it zipped up because it wasn't necessarily tailored for the backpack.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• ==N====N== member
    edited January 2014
    You can get a thing that's like a dolly, you strap the car seat to it and put lo in it like a stroller. Then install it in the plane and in the rental car.

I once read that checking a carseat is the equivalent of it being in an accident.

Eta: @privacywanted beat me to it. That's the thing I'm talking about. That's probably more clear than my explanation, lol.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Bring the car seat.  On our first trip with DD we checked the car seat, it got broken and we had to rent from the car rental - it was AWFUL. It looked like it was 10 years old at least. The first thing we did was drive to a BRU and buy a Cosco that we now use for travel.
    And we have a thing similar to this https://www.overstock.com/Baby/Go-Go-Kidz-Travelmate/3471011/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=UZ59HgAAAOamfXf8:20140130232526:s 
    Which turns the convertible into a stroller so you don't get a back ache like @URMySunshine77
    @PrivacyWanted: why, oh why didn't we get one of these! So I assume that you gate checked the seat?

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"