December 2013 Moms
Options

I think I'm on to something... (STTN)

We have a pellet stove that heats our house. The bedrooms are far away from the stove so they stay cool. At night I have space heaters to keep us warm so I don't have to put the heat on.

I noticed that if I position the space heater so it blows towards DD's bassinet that the skirt on the bassinet catches the heat and brings it up into the bassinet (there are little mesh patches on the sides like a breathable bumper and the heat seeps in through there). On the nights I do this (I've done it four times now) DD has slept 6 - 7 hours straight. I think she is so nice and toasty in there that she doesn't get up. If there is no space heater then she only sleeps 3 1/2 hours stretches.

Just thought I'd share this observation with you ladies in case I'm on to something.

Disclaimer: The space heater is about three feet from her so not to overheat her or risk fire. It's just enough to make her feel warm.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

Re: I think I'm on to something... (STTN)

• Options
    We were able to get a 4 hour then a 2 hour in tge crib last night also with the space heater going.
  • Options
    I noticed a nice warm bath right before nursing and swaddling gives me 4-5 hours. Once I noticed that it was magically so I understand how you feel :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everything you said just scared me...I know what you said but that feels like a fire hazard
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    Lyzza350 said:

Everything you said just scared me...I know what you said but that feels like a fire hazard

The space heater is no where near or touching the bassinet and we have hardwood floors. It's not just going to burst into flames.

Also I should add the skirt is only about 4 inches long. It does not go to the floor and the legs are metal.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    I'm pretty positive that increases the risk of SIDS, I wouldn't chance it just to get a couple more hours of sleep.
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member

I'm pretty positive that increases the risk of SIDS, I wouldn't chance it just to get a couple more hours of sleep.

Where did you hear that? That's pretty scary if it's true.

My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    LO had his first longer than 3 hour stretch of sleep two nights ago. I have been giving him pumped bottles the past two nights at bed and he's slept 5 hours. I have been rejoicing these past two mornings! So I get it!
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    LP0198 said:

So I googled it (because that completely freaked me out) and it says excessive heat where the baby sweats. The room should be between 65 - 70 degrees. The heater is on a thermostat which shuts off at 70 degrees so I think it would be ok (and she doesn't get sweaty either).

My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    LP0198 said:

I've read that more than once as well, in fact, I think it even mentions it in the SIDS post either on dec or nov board. Don't let hr get over heated. And FYI those things burst into flames all the time. I would never feel comfortable having one close enough to a baby bed that might catch fire before it would wake me up. Maybe give her an extra blanket and move the heater
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    @Linny0316 - I do appreciate your concern. We are very careful when we use it. This one is really nice and has a shut off if it overheats or overturns. Also the bassinet is up against my side of the bed. The heater is about 3 - 4 feet away us.

My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"