March 2014 Moms
Options

Dehydration-Yes, I called my MW *update*

jrw526jrw526 member
edited January 2014 in March 2014 Moms
Let me preface this by saying that I have a call into my midwives, but it's lunch hour so I'm waiting for them to call me back.

Talk to me about dehydration. I caught some sort of stomach bug and vomited 5 times between 2 and 6 this morning. I've also had several bouts of diarrhea.

I've been able to keep about 12 oz of water down and 4 oz of ginger ale and one of those apple sauce cups. I'm extremely thirsty, but I'm afraid to drink a lot at one time because I don't want to throw it up.

Ladies who have been in this boat what have your doctors recommended.

Re: Dehydration-Yes, I called my MW *update*

• Options

My OB recommended something with electrolytes (Gatorade/Powerade) for extreme dehydration along with water.

This. My PCP and OB say.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a similar situation a couple weeks ago and couldn't even keep down water. They didn't want me to come in unless I couldn't keep anything down for 8 hours as not to infect others and recommended Popsicles. It was about 4 days before I felt like I could eat regular food again
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you can get to the store or someone can get it for you try Pedialyte. They sell it in liter jugs or individual mix packets. I bought the individual packets and they were a god send during my first tri. They have more electrolytes than sports drinks and you don't have to drink as large of a quantity either which is also good when your having issues keeping food/drink down.
    Good luck & feel better!
  • Options
    Last week they also reccomended Gatorade for me, she said take it in very small tablespoon-sized doses if that's all I could keep down. She said if over the next 6 hours I couldn't keep r down then to come in for fluids.
    Induction of mo/di twin boys scheduled for 2/24! Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Options
    jrw526jrw526 member
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the replies.

I got a call back and if I can't keep anything down for 24 hours then it's a trip to l&d for fluids. I was also told I could try Gatorade or Pedialyte or Popsicles for flavor and electrolytes.

DS threw up at daycare for DH went to pick him up and is going to stop at he store on the way. I'm hoping this is short lived!

Edited: posted before I was done typing.
  • Options
    When I'm feeling pukey I have the best luck if I just don't stop drinking - even tiny sips to wet your mouth every few minutes will get something into your system. I'd try slightly chilled or room temp water, too - somehow it makes my body less.... aware I'm putting something into it if it isn't cold.
  • Options
    I had this last week, after 24 hours if being unable to keep fluids down I went in for fluids and Zofran. They recommended Gatorade and Popsicles, and sticking to the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) diet if I tried any foods at all. I was sick for almost a week, only started eating somewhat normally yesterday :(

Hope you get better soon!

• Options
    aw that sucks! I usually give DH pedialite and 7up when he's not feeling well and it seems to help a lot. saltines are good too once you start getting hungry. Hope you feel better.

• Options
    I had this same thing yesterday, however I was having small contractions as well from dehydration.
  • Options
    Yikes" feel better
  • Options
    Pedialyte pops are way better than the drink. My recommendation is sips of fluids (about a tsp) every 20 minutes, this way it keeps your stomach from spasming and allows you to get fluids I to your body. It's more important to push fluids than eat. Once you can handle that, that start with a bland diet. Good luck to you!!
  • Options
    I'm feeling better. It seems to have just been a 24 hour thing. I've been sipping on water and Pedialyte all day. I've been able to keep down a banana and some applesauce and some dry Cheerios. Thanks for the advice ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"