July 2014 Moms

And so it begins: Heartburn

In my whole life I can count the number of times I've had heartburn, two. But today it hit me out of no where while out grocery shopping. I haven't eaten anything new today just BAM, eye watering, lip quivering, chest to neck fire-y pain and it hasn't subsided for hours :( Anyone finding relief from this? I've tried Tums Smoothies and coconut water but nothing's helping. Ice water helps a little going down but it doesn't last long.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: And so it begins: Heartburn

• Hopefully baby has a full head of hair to show for your discomfort. In the meantime, tums. I popped those guys like candy the whole second tri last go around.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Zantac has been the only thing that works for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • I got it really bad a few weeks ago (it not only felt like my chest/throat was on fire but also my lungs/back?!  It was awful!).   I happened to be walking past a pinkberry.  Some plain frozen yogurt seemed to do the trick for me!  I assume because it helped coat my throat and push that stomach acid back into my demon stomach's pie hole ;-)  But it's not always practical to go buy frozen yogurt in those scenarios.

• @TallMomma29 Since the Tums aren't doing anything, maybe I'll make a trip out for frozen yogurt! 

I think we have Zantac in the house but it isn't on my "safe drug" list.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I tried tums and maalox but each gave me about an hour of relief. I have found that eating an apple really helped but other than that I've just really changed my diet to alleviate the pain. No spices, citrus, mints, and chocolate amongst other things. I pretty much only eat bland food. Maybe I'll try Zantac.
  • I had it awful last time around... it hasn't started yet and I'm just hoping and praying...

I ended up getting an rx for pepcid last time (i think it's also otc, but for some reason i had a prescription for it) and that was for the really really bad days. It worked.

But before I took the pepcid, I would take an apple cider vinegar tablet. I've heard lots of recs to actually swallow like a TB of acv, which sounds just awful to me, but it works so hey. I really prefer the tablets. So I do those, and most of the time they did the trick.
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • TallMomma29TallMomma29 member
    edited January 2014
    @TallMomma29 Since the Tums aren't doing anything, maybe I'll make a trip out for frozen yogurt! 

I think we have Zantac in the house but it isn't on my "safe drug" list.
    Hopefully it helps you too!  At the time I was visiting DH and he teased me for stopping in the middle of a 10 minute walk to a lunch place to get frozen yogurt (but he also didn't try to stop me... smart man! :)).  

I avoid Zantac for the same reason.... but I'm also the type to just avoid taking any form of medication in general unless absolutely necessary (no crazy pharmaceutical stance here!  I'm just too lazy to research ;-))

• As in they told you it is not safe or it's just not listed?

I took Zantac everyday for 6 months with DS and everything appears normal with him. No double head or extra appendages.

Thank god for Zantac!!!!!!

• @tourqeyes It's just not on my handout from the OB. It sounds like a lot of you got the ok for it and it does the trick. If the frozen yogurt and/or apple cider vinegar doesn't work tonight I'll call the office in the morning to ask!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • bgoodbparbgoodbpar member
    edited January 2014
    Same happened to me with my first pregnancy. NEVER had heartburn before then 5 months in BAM! Had it everyday after until I delivered, even without eating. Nothing worked but Zantac 150, I was soooooo thankful to whoever invented the stuff haha.. I was assured by my midwife that Zantac was ok, and I'm not big on taking any meds but I was suffering. Mean thing heartburn is!

ETA: forgot to mention my heartburn is already back a few months earlier this time around.. Grrrrrrr

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"