November 2011 Moms

transition from crib to toddler or twin bed

Has anyone started the transition yet?

We are moving next week and we decided to keep DS in his crib so his new room is still "familiar" to him. However LO#2 is due in July and I was thinking about moving DS into a twin bed around May so he gets used to being a big boy and doesn't think LO stole his crib.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

Re: transition from crib to toddler or twin bed

• We turned ds's crib into the "daybed" in September. He had started climbing out. The change went really well.

I was still rocking him to sleep at that point. But, he quickly let us know that he just wanted to put himself to sleep. DS lays in bed & we read a story & have snuggle/cuddle time for a few minutes.

Sometimes though(like RIGHT NOW), DS gets out of bed & plays instead of napping. He will sometimes fall asleep by the baby gate at his door. Nighttime, he always stays in bed & falls asleep there.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm right there with you, e_cruiz!  LO#2 is due at the end of March and we thought it would be best to transition her out of the crib before then.  We are going straight to a twin bed and it is supposed to arrive in a week and a half...eek!  

She's often up playing/talking for a while before she goes to sleep so I'm a little nervous how that will go...  She IS super excited about getting a big bed though (we've been talking about it) so hopefully that will help...  (She asks if seahorse and some of her other toys will still get to be in bed with her.   Awwww....) 

I have heard of some kids that don't get out of their "big kid bed" and still call for a parent to come get them.  I kind of hope that's DD  :)  

Good luck to you!  I'll let you know if we learn anything from our transition at the end of the month!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the feedback ladies. I am going to start talking up the big boy bed idea as well. DS loved doing everything his older cousins do so I may show him their beds as well

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• I have heard of some kids that don't get out of their "big kid bed" and still call for a parent to come get them.  I kind of hope that's DD  :) 
    ^^This was my DD. She started climbing out of her crib and chewing on the wood dresser around 2 1/2+, almost 3. She didn't exactly call out for me to come get her, but would wait in her bed until I came to get her. I had to explain that it was ok if when she woke up she wanted to come wake me up. She was the kind of kid that never took advantage of that.

I don't know when we'll transition DS. He is the opposite of DD in every way, and will not stay in his room let alone his bed if given the opportunity. 

@e_cruiz - I would do what you're planning on doing. However, if your LO doesn't transition well due to too much change all at once, do you have a PNP that the baby could use for a couple months until #1 gets more comfortable?

GL to all who are transitioning now/soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We converted DD's crib to a toddler bed a couple weeks before she turned two because she started climbing out of her crib. It went really well. She loves having a big girl bed and will stay in it. She will sometimes get out of bed and go get a book and then get back in bed and read it but that's about it. Sometimes, if she poops in the morning before I get her up she will stand at the edge of her bed waiting cause I guess she doesn't like to lay down with poop. Even at nap times the most she will do is get up and open her shutters and then get back in bed and play with her toys/books.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We transitioned DD1 at 21 months when she started climbing out of her crib.  She did great until she was 25 months and then she fought bedtime for 2 months (she also quit napping around that time).  After that she did well until about 6 months ago - she started sleeping on the floor.  I don't fight that battle, she can sleep on the floor.

DD2 is still in the crib and I'm keeping her there as long as possible.  She is a bit more adventurous than DD1 was at her age.  I envision her climbing furniture and coloring all over the house while we sleep.  Keeping her contained to the room isn't an option because the girls share, so it will be interesting when we transition.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • We moved DS into a twin bed before we put the new baby in his old crib because I was also worried he might think the baby "stole" his bed. It went well and we haven't had any huge issues. We tell DS that he can't get out if bed and he listens.
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • Ack!  DD's new twin bed is coming tomorrow and I'm getting anxious about it!  

I'm having second thoughts about moving her out of her crib before she's ready.  She's a good sleeper in her crib, but even though she hasn't climbed out of it, I've read the "recommended" height limit is 35" is and DD is taller than that so I should just justify the switch as a safety move anyway...  And, as I said earlier, I'd rather do the switch now before the baby. 

Thank you, ladies, who have shared that their LOs have already transitioned!  I know everyone has to make the transition at some point, jumper or not....and I'm hopeful DD will do okay with the transition.  I think I'm just emotional because DD is hitting all these "big girl" milestones all of the sudden.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"