July 2014 Moms
Options

NBR: AW Work Vent

I'm really about to lose my mind. I work in a fucking insane asylum. 

I told you guys about one situation in WTF Wednesday yesterday, with the kid who's threatening his teachers (the mother never came in, btw, and I have no idea what's going on there). Also...

- yesterday I took a class down to lunch and there was a first grader shrieking at the top of his lungs because he lost at 7-up. No consequence.

- on my way upstairs I passed the guidance counselor with a kindergartner who has been in our building for 2 days. He was found siting on the window ledge in the bathroom...6 feet above the floor. When the mother was called she said, "That's not a big deal. I don't care." No consequence. (This is the same kid who, when i told him to sit in time-out, turned his back and yelled at me to leave him alone). 

- another (BIG) first grader threw himself on the floor yesterday, screaming, then pushed and HIT the guidance counselor. NO FUCKING CONSEQUENCE.

- the same kid started crying and slamming the chair in front of him today because he didn't like the seat I assigned him. I called the office to have him removed from my classroom. Nobody came. 

This has all happened in two days. I really feel like the inmates are running the asylum and we have no backup or support. It's insanity. 

imageimageimage

Re: NBR: AW Work Vent

• Options
    Yikes.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    So what's it going to take for them to actually do something? Are these kids going to have to hurt themselves badly, or hurt someone else before anything gets done? I'm sorry, it sounds like a really frustrating situation to be in.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Salsera29Salsera29 member
    edited January 2014
    So what's it going to take for them to actually do something? Are these kids going to have to hurt themselves badly, or hurt someone else before anything gets done? I'm sorry, it sounds like a really frustrating situation to be in.
    Well, and I'm not joking here, in the situation with the 5th grader...he will have to come in and stab, shoot, or seriously assault someone and get arrested for anything to happen. Most likely he will be suspended for 5 or 10 days, during which time he will be sitting at home playing video games with his older brothers. One just got shot, and the other is home from jail, so good for him and all. Then he will come back to school and continue the same behavior while his teachers try not to set him off. 

Right now I'm planning on staying in this school through next year and then trying to transfer for an instrumental position. This week is seriously making me consider rethinking this timeline. Some areas of this city are really nice...with parents who give a shit...and kids who aren't out of their damn minds (not their fault of course, but doesn't make it any less frustrating). 

ETA: I have to add this though. During lunch, two 4th graders come in my room (by themselves) to file and stuff for their teacher. I gave them some CDs to listen to. When I came in they were listening to something different so I asked them about it. You know what they said? "Well that Alicia Keys CD had some curse words on it so we changed it to Kidz Bop." I love those kids. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    That story in the ETA legit made me smile. There are some good kids out there still.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options

I have to ask @Salsera29, are you at all afraid for your health/safety with these kids around (especially being pregnant)?

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm really about to lose my mind. I work in a fucking insane asylum. 

I told you guys about one situation in WTF Wednesday yesterday, with the kid who's threatening his teachers (the mother never came in, btw, and I have no idea what's going on there). Also...

- yesterday I took a class down to lunch and there was a first grader shrieking at the top of his lungs because he lost at 7-up. No consequence.

- on my way upstairs I passed the guidance counselor with a kindergartner who has been in our building for 2 days. He was found siting on the window ledge in the bathroom...6 feet above the floor. When the mother was called she said, "That's not a big deal. I don't care." No consequence. (This is the same kid who, when i told him to sit in time-out, turned his back and yelled at me to leave him alone). 

- another (BIG) first grader threw himself on the floor yesterday, screaming, then pushed and HIT the guidance counselor. NO FUCKING CONSEQUENCE.

- the same kid started crying and slamming the chair in front of him today because he didn't like the seat I assigned him. I called the office to have him removed from my classroom. Nobody came. 

This has all happened in two days. I really feel like the inmates are running the asylum and we have no backup or support. It's insanity. 

GREYTOWN
    Ugh, I can't even imagine. Kind of echoing the PP who asked about what would have to happen.. what has to happen for that kid that was in the building for 2 days? (as in would the school at any point intervene or bring in outside intervention?)

• Options
    This is why I can't work around children.

• Options

Gosh, that is so scary. Why doesn't anything happen? Is it just that the parents don't care therefore the administrators can't really do anything.

In the schools here, if a kids threatens a teacher or acts that way it's immediate suspension.

• Options
    It is sad that there is no support for the teachers in situations like this. Make sure you stay safe.

/rant on
    As for the kids, it breaks my heart that they have no support from home and no guidance. It really is a vicious cycle. The parents I work with through casa have grown up in similar situations and are now dealing with CPS as a consequence of having no parenting skills or motivations to be parents. Some how that cycle has to be broken or we will just end up with more and more broken people/kids :(
    /rant off
  • Options
    Salsera that is absolutely terrifying! I feel like there is so much wrong with this, it's hard to even process it. This is what happens when parents don't care, but also are convinced their little angels can do no wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if the reasoning behind the lackluster response to these outbursts stems from a fear of retribution from an angry parent.

On my husband's last day of student teaching in December he was leaving school and a kid he didn't even know threw ice at the back of his head. He caught the little monster and took him to the principal's office, and when the dad showed up he was pissed at my husband, not his kid! Luckily the principal sided with my DH as he saw the whole thing and eventually the dad came around, but jeez. This was high school btw.
  • Options
    Salsera29Salsera29 member
    edited January 2014
    kmawb said:

I have to ask @Salsera29, are you at all afraid for your health/safety with these kids around (especially being pregnant)?

I am in the general sense, but not in the immediate sense, you know what I mean? I am afraid that someday, something is going to happen, but not anything imminent. It is, to a certain degree, a risk we choose to take working in this kind of area. 

I got news for you though. If one of these kids does put a hand on me in the next 5 months, you are going to see an Oscar-worthy performance. I would definitely be in fear for my baby's life and have to get checked out at the hospital. I'd also be pressing charges. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Salsera29 said:
    I am in the general sense, but not in the immediate sense, you know what I mean? I am afraid that someday, something is going to happen, but not anything imminent. It is, to a certain degree, a risk we choose to take working in this kind of area. 

I got news for you though. If one of these kids does put a hand on me in the next 5 months, you are going to see an Oscar-worthy performance. I would definitely be in fear for my baby's life and have to get checked out at the hospital. I'd also be pressing charges. 

I understand what you mean @Salsera29.  I just think it's sad that a teacher has to feel afraid of their students and powerless to make a change.  I hold teachers in very high regard and think that they are grossly underpaid for the important job that they do which just makes it worse to hear that they have to work in an environment like you do.

I hope you (and baby) stay safe at work for the durtion of your pregnancy.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks for the support guys. Most days I love my job but sometimes you need to vent to people who aren't in it with you, you know? 

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"