Working Moms
Options

Kids left at school

The trouble in ATL and other parts of the South has me thinking. So sad about all the kids who had to sleep at school because their parents were trapped at work or on highways. I work in a school, too. I have so much respect for the staff that stayed with the kids.

I love my job but I hope my kids and my students never have to experience this.
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Kids left at school

• Options
    I haven't really looked very far into it at all. But when I was a kid I would have loved something like that to happen. How much fun to get to sleep over with all your friends? Even if it wasn't planned it would still be an adventure! Maybe I just have a different perspective. My mom always taught me to make things a story and enjoy the adventures when they come!

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I agree with jBatch the kids probably loved it, where as a parent you are more concerned. Thank god I live in New England so we know how bad snow can get and I would say 85% of the time we are prepared for the worst. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jbatch said:
    I haven't really looked very far into it at all. But when I was a kid I would have loved something like that to happen. How much fun to get to sleep over with all your friends? Even if it wasn't planned it would still be an adventure! Maybe I just have a different perspective. My mom always taught me to make things a story and enjoy the adventures when they come!
    This was exactly the attitude taken by the principal at this school.  The teachers worked their butts off and got no sleep, but the kids had fun. 

https://www.today.com/moms/shelter-storm-teachers-entertained-dried-tears-kids-stuck-overnight-school-2D12018114

It's a good time to review your family and workplace emergency plans.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    I also admire all of the work that those teachers did.

I live in the town just south of Moore, OK and therefore know a lot of teachers/faculty that were in schools during the May 20 tornado.  I have so much respect for the love and sacrifices that teachers give their students.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited January 2014
    I live in ATL and this experience has taught me and DH that next time there is a snow situation like this one of us will leave work before the snow happens and pick DD up right away even if the school is still open. Thankfully my job let us out before the snow started and I picked up DD. DH got a hotel room because he stayed longer and would not have been able to make it home. Worse than being stuck in school are the kids that were stuck in cars or buses trying to get home. Someone where I work said her son was stuck on a bus for 8 hours. I think I would have enjoyed being stuck at school as an older kid but I imagine some of the younger ones had a hard time.

Edit to add that I also admire the teachers. They have families too and they spent the night making sure other kids were safe and comfortable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    Great story linked above. Those teachers are certainly superstars and made the best of what they had. I live in an area quite used to snow but I will never forget a storm that was predicted incorrectly about 10 years ago. I worked 35 miles from home and it took 7 hours to drive home. It was HORRIBLE. I was thankfull for a full tank of gas that allowed me to get home. Many many cars, trucks, buses were stopped on the highway without gas. People were stranded overnight on the roads. I don't mess with snow storms any longer. Flakes fly and i head home!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ok, granted I'm super hormonal right now being 40 weeks pregnant but the article above made me cry. I also though that most kids probably had a blast but I didn't think about how hard it must have been for all the teachers to keep everyone happy and calm. Mad props to those teachers!!!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"