Breastfeeding
Options

Extended BFing and dental health

Hello everyone!
DD is 19 months and still BFs during the night. The pedi complained and said we should night wean because of cavities. I read elsewhere about the antibacterial properties of BM protect against cavities and how the milk does not pool in the mouth (as it would with a bottle). I have tried to look at studies, but none of them included dental hygiene practices.
I brush DDs teeth twice a day, she does not eat sugary foods and diluted juice is a rare treat. I am wondering if other extended BF moms noticed any tooth problems. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Extended BFing and dental health

• Options
    I'm breastfeeding my third LO now, and did extended BF with my older ones. Only one of the two ever developed a cavity in a baby tooth, and it developed much older. It was so mild it didn't need to be filled/addressed since it was going to fall out soon after anyway. Remember, the teeth your LO has now are only in there for a few more years.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    as PP said, breast milk has a protective effect against cavities. it is also good for your child's jaw/oral development as it helps shape the palate, making it less likely they will need orthodontia.

i brush DS's teeth 2x a day, once when he gets up, and once after his bath. he still nurses to sleep most nights. we have not taken him to the dentist yet (he is 17 months), but we haven't noticed any problems. he has almost all his teeth (bottom canines are just coming in now). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was worried about this with DD1.  At 18 months i brought her to the dentist.  She told me as long as I brushed her teeth after dinner we were fine.  DD's teeth are great! 
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I do brush her teeth after the last meal (usually dinner), then she just nurses. I use a natural tooth paste from Essentials for Young Living.
    I am so paranoid about cavities but your comments reassured me :)
    I do not want to night wean just yet, especially because DD has all 4 canines cutting plus 2 molars!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"