Minnesota Babies

Frustrated....

edited August 2013 in Minnesota Babies

I guess I'm mostly just venting.  I'm really frustrated by how high day care costs are in Minnesota.  It causes so much unnecessary stress ... and now with the whole unionizing day care workers ... Just going to make it worse.  Not really sure what the point of this post is ... just ... you know.  Looking for someone else who cares, haha.

Re: Frustrated....

• mbgreenwaltmbgreenwalt member
    edited August 2013
    I used to gag at the cost of day care, but then I started thinking about the costs in a different way and now I kinda feel bad for my DCP.  I use an in home provider and what I pay her (her asking rate) averages out to $3.15 an hour per kid.  So in total, I pay her less than minimum wage to care for the most important people in my life.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I read an interesting article from MPR about this issue and it addressed that. The fact that childcare is so expensive, and the workers aren't paid very well at all, and the standards in general aren't very high, but in order to fix it the cost would need to go up, but it's already so high...

The main point of the article that I took away was how the old welfare system was designed to basically pay women to stay home and care for their kids, but now women are expected to work, thus expected to pay for child care. It's a huge problem with no solution.

And, although I do feel bad that they are getting paid less than minimum wage ... In order to afford day care in my area AND afford to actually get to work in the first place, one would need to make at least $300/week AFTER taxes... so about 12.50/hour.  So that's just enough money to afford to pay someone else to watch your child and get to work to make enough money to pay the person who watches your child. 

Now I'm just ranting for no reason.  It's essentially an unsolvable problem unless magic money shows up from somewhere.

• Loading the player...
  • Lex, I am with you! If my mother-in-law wasn't offering to provide child care (for free) I'm honestly not sure what we would do. 

I actually hear an NPR report about a year ago that the Twin Cities has the third-highest costs for childcare in the United States. Unfortunately, our income doesn't correspond. 

Part of my beef is not with the system (although that's a huge part) but is rather my spouse who has this idea that newly married people who are still in college (well he is, I'm done with my B.A.) should be able to have it all. But that's a subject for a different post.
  • For the first year in FOREVER our DCP isn't raising rates this year.  We're lucky enough to be able to afford PT but there's no way we could ever afford full-time.  It works out to roughly $8.50/hr. for PT, and that's only ONE child...  Granted the rate drops considerably once they've reached post potty training, but still!

The sad part is that the teachers at the center we're at are making a living wage (and if they have kids that need DCP it's included as a benefit), if the unionization goes through their costs are the ones that will go up.  The DCP can only raise rates to a certain level before parents have to say they simply can't afford it which will hurt the workers even more because numbers will drop and staffing will have to correspond.. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the idea of thinking about it from the daycare perspective. I worked at a preschool for a little while and it's a lot of work. Breaking it down it's not that much. I think about that when I start whining SO about being a SHAM for the first few years. I work and go to school online so there is really no point until I graduate and get a higher paying job.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My husband and I are worried about the cost as well. I'm not really sure how we can afford it plain and simple because we're already barely getting by. We are currently in Eden Prairie, so if anyone has a recommendation, it would help a lot!
  • I used to gag at the cost of day care, but then I started thinking about the costs in a different way and now I kinda feel bad for my DCP.  I use an in home provider and what I pay her (her asking rate) averages out to $3.15 an hour per kid.  So in total, I pay her less than minimum wage to care for the most important people in my life.

Amen!!

As a former Nanny I know I made really good money taking care of kids. Daycare is VERY expensive!! One of the families I used to nanny for always said "you are taking care of our most precious cargo, we want to make sure you are taken care of" Taking care of kids is a HUGE responsibility & can be very long days(like any job) 

If I could, I'd stay home but financially we have to have me working & have my babe in daycare. We are pinching pennies now more then ever, but it's all worth it & you will figure out how to make it work. I don't know how we are, but we are....barely! Good luck! (kind of a scatter brained post ;-))

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Try having twins haha.  I had a really decent paying job but just couldn't justify commuting an hour each way and paying almost 70% of my take-home pay for a center (couldn't find two infant openings at an in-home) so now I stay home and do a couple little things on the side.  It was a tough decision but turned out to be for the best.  I miss working sometimes but not the commuting - especially in the snow! :) 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"