Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sleep and feeding issues...long

LO is 10 weeks old and hasn't been a good napper since day 1. He has always been great at night until a few days ago. As for napping during the day it doesn't really happen. Naps are short and I have to bounce on an exercise ball sometimes for the whole nap. Occasionally he will take an hour long nap but most are 20 minutes. I would be fine with short naps if he woke up rested but he doesn't. I have tried everything and every piece of baby equipment there is. What sort of works now is bouncing him while swaddled with a pacifier. He has always been good at night but all of a sudden he is waking up a lot. Sometimes he wakes an hour after he ate. He also started giving us issues with eating in the middle of the night like fighting the bottle or only eating an ounce. I have no idea what changed. This morning I laid him in bed with me and he went back to sleep while I just laid there. 

The other issue is feeding which may or may not go hand in hand with the sleep issue. I cannot get him to eat more than 2 ounces at a time. I try to get him to eat every 2 hours since he eats so little. I really think he would go at least 3 hours if I would let him. He is gaining weight although he is a little guy. I told his ped and she wasn't concerned. He fights his bottle so much and it just really seems like he is hungry but won't eat. He is bottle fed and eats on avg 19 oz a day but I feel like I'm force feeding him. 

Any suggestions or advice on either issue are appreciated. Especially if you have had the same or similar problems.

Re: Sleep and feeding issues...long

• He is FF and I agree that he isn't eating enough. His pediatrician said he's fine because he is gaining weight. He has a sensitive tummy so we currently use Gerber good start gentle. The doc suggested soy so we tried it and he cried when he pooped so we stopped that right away. We are going to try similac alimentum just to see if it helps. I definitely agree that if he would eat more he would sleep better. Thanks!
  • I would try getting the feeding issues sorted out first.  Then I think he would sleep a better, at least I would hope so.  My DD was a preemie and we would wake her to eat every 3 hours, we FF also.  Now we wait until she is ready to eat on her own, usually about every 3.5 hours, about 2.5oz.  My LO is 4 weeks old and eating around 16oz per day.  She's gaining weight and has good wet/poop diapers.  I wouldn't necessarily feed him every 2 hours...unless HE wants to eat that often.  Maybe he would eat more per feeding.  I also wouldn't be so quick to switch formulas...it can take a few days or even a week to adjust.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • He's been on the same formula for a long time. I have tried waiting until he is really hungry but he will still only take 2 ounces. He has gone 4 hours without eating and then fought a 2.5 ounce bottle. 
  • Are you getting good burps while feeding?? My LO won't take more if he needs to burp. Gas pains could also account for the waking up a lot, have you tried using gas drops before bed??
  • I could've written the same feeding issues word for word. It is so frustrating, and even harder when you don't know the cause! I thought my LO had an ear infection at first, negative. The NP didn't seem to know why she was so fussy and not eating well. Basically left us with "if she's having two wet diapers a day, don't worry" and just give pedialyte for volume if we were worried. (Note: I wasn't satisfied with this...2???). After her appointment, we noticed two white bumps on her bottom gums... So maybe hers is related to teething.

Anyway, I'm sorry I really don't have advice, but thanks for posting this, as hopefully some advice will come! I hope things improve with your LO soon.
    -Jenn Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always try burping him when he starts fighting it but then he won't take the bottle again. Usually if I can get him distracted he will eat. We tried doc brown bottles but he didn't seem to like those. I bought the next size nipple with no change. I just worry that something is bothering him and he associates eating with whatever it is. 
  • dls17 said:
    I always try burping him when he starts fighting it but then he won't take the bottle again. Usually if I can get him distracted he will eat. We tried doc brown bottles but he didn't seem to like those. I bought the next size nipple with no change. I just worry that something is bothering him and he associates eating with whatever it is. 

my little one fights me burping him too...is yours actually burping?? I also find my LO does well with the planted bottles using those inserts, but no matter what he has to have a few good big burps per feed or he's miserable when laying down.
  • My LO is 10 weeks and was finally diagnosed with acid reflux due to feeding problems. She was only eating between 18 and 20 oz a day, so basically behind an entire feeding. I could get her to eat 2-3 oz per feeding but if I tried to give her more when she showed signs of hunger she would scream when the nipple touched her lips. The reflux was interrupting her sleep as well because formula was coming back up and waking her, not to mention it is painful. We switched formulas more times than I can remember before finally settling on Enfamil AR. It has added rice so the formula is thicker and has a hard time coming back up. She has been doing so much better with the new formula and the prescription Zantac her ped has her on. She is starting to nap during the day though usually in her swing and she sleeps through the night. I would research acid reflux and silent acid reflux and see if your LO is showing the signs. GL to you as I know how frustrating it is when you don't know what is wrong.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Klaz0606 said:
    My LO is 10 weeks and was finally diagnosed with acid reflux due to feeding problems. She was only eating between 18 and 20 oz a day, so basically behind an entire feeding. I could get her to eat 2-3 oz per feeding but if I tried to give her more when she showed signs of hunger she would scream when the nipple touched her lips. The reflux was interrupting her sleep as well because formula was coming back up and waking her, not to mention it is painful. We switched formulas more times than I can remember before finally settling on Enfamil AR. It has added rice so the formula is thicker and has a hard time coming back up. She has been doing so much better with the new formula and the prescription Zantac her ped has her on. She is starting to nap during the day though usually in her swing and she sleeps through the night. I would research acid reflux and silent acid reflux and see if your LO is showing the signs. GL to you as I know how frustrating it is when you don't know what is wrong.
    I think he does have symptoms of silent reflux but when I brought it up to the doctor she said as long as he is gaining weight it's fine. It's not fine if he is uncomfortable and unhappy. She told us to try cereal in his bottle but he screamed shortly after eating and let out some gas so I think it was too hard on his stomach. 
  • My LO is gaining as well but she is on the smaller side. If you want to think about switching formula I would try the AR and even think about getting a second opinion. A lot of Peds don't know a lot about reflux so they don't diagnose it. Trust your instinct. I thought it was reflux 4 weeks ago and my DH and mother disagreed. My baby was miserable until I put my foot down and went back to the doctor.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We are in the same boat here as well, and our little one is 6.5 weeks. He was diagnosed with reflux at day 8 of life, when we rushed to the ER because he was in his car bed ( born at 37 wk 3 days due to IUGR) and became red in the face and blue around his mouth. He has been on reflux precautions ever since. Meaning, frequent burping, keeping him upright for 30 min post feeding. And now we are adding cereal to his bottle to help settle the acid (dr said it was no different than feeding Enfamil AR or Similac for Spitting Up)
    We tried gas drops a couple of weeks ago when he was burping well, and they worked wonders for about a week, though they seemed to cause constipation. (The RN at my dr office said they can cause the digestive track to slow down.) And so we stopped the gas drops and wouldn't you know we have less spitting up and he is still burping like a man!! 
    But we are still having constipation problems. :( 

• Have you tried gripe water? On days that my LO won't burp a lot and is fussy after eating (screaming uncontrollably when being put down) we give him a tiny bit of gripe water. It's all natural, and has worked wonders in his comfort when he can't seem to get the gas out. I also find the next feeding he will get all the gas out in more ways than one lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"