Boston Babies
Options

Any ladies delievering at SSH

Jules5611Jules5611 member
edited January 2014 in Boston Babies
I can't help but have an unsettling feeling...I am due in 2 weeks and planned on delivering there since it is less than 5 minutes from my house. Thoughts? Opinions?

https://www.wcvb.com/news/local/boston-south/2-childbirth-deaths-probed-at-south-shore-hospital/-/9848842/24013448/-/aarr74/-/index.html?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=wcvb+channel+5+boston

Re: Any ladies delievering at SSH

• Options
    I heard about this news story today too.  Keep in mind that both of the women had unpredictable and unpreventable reasons for their complications.  One had a very rare amniotic embolism that caused her death.  It wouldn't have mattered where these women gave birth, they would have had the same result.

I'm also delivering at SSH in April.  I was a little nervous at first, but once I read the whole story I'm not very concerned anymore.  If you're really worried you could talk to your doctor about your concerns.
  • Options
    I am delivering there in March and have had the same unsettling feeling....mostly because this is my first and I am nervous anyway. Everyone keeps reassuring me that these were related to the mothers issues and not the hospitals lack of expertise. Hoping for the best and not switching at this point. It is also very close to where we will be living. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am also delivering at ssh in June . I'm also a little nervous about it but I'm trying to think positive. Is anyone using Crown ob in Quincy ?
  • Options
    I used Atrius Health out of Weymouth. My neighbor had a baby January 8th and used Crown Colony and delivered at South shore and said everybody was amazing.

• Options
    I delivered there October 2012. All the staff there are and were amazing! It is awful thing that happened to these women! My Drs are crown Obgyn as well. I will also be having my second baby at SSH in September.
    View Full Size Image
  • Options
    Spoke to my doctor today and am feeling much better about delivering there. My doctor assured me that these were freak instances. She told me that she has been doing this for over 15 years and only once has she seen an  amniotic fluid embolism. She explained that it is  a rare condition that occurs when amniotic fluid or material from the fetus, such as hair, enters the maternal bloodstream. She also let me know that a lot of her colleagues have gone their whole careers with no encounters of this happening. I feel better knowing this but even before these two deaths I have had a fear of c sections. My husband is insisting that if I needed one as a result of an emergency that he would pay for an ambulance ride into town.
  • Options
    After looking further into it and speaking to friends and family I do feel better. Part of me is still a little nervous but I think that's only normal. I had a vaginal delivery with my first so I'm def hoping not to have a c section....they scare me a little too.
  • Options
    I personally knew the woman who just recently passed there (Colleen). She also had a very hard pregnancy with Placenta Previa which in turn the c-section after she had given birth to her previous children vaginally. I also know a grief counselor that works there and it was something that they could not have prevented because they would have no way of knowing she would react that way. Two very terrible tragedies that could have happened anywhere, they just happened to be at the same hospital in very short time of each other.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ caycelee Sorry for your loss. Thank you for your input. Very unfortunate situations for both families involved.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss and thanks for posting
  • Options
    First, I am so very sorry for your friends loss @Caycelee. My heart breaks for both of those families. I am delivering there in May and my heart dropped when I heard these stories. This is my first pregnancy at 36 yo and I am already terrified of labor. I am even more terrified of C sections! The more I am reading, the more I am learning that C sections (all over) have increased significantly. In many cases, yes they are emergency related, but there are a lot that aren't necessary. I don't know, it's my opinion, but if I have to push for 30 hours-yes it sucks, but I would much rather do that than a C (as long as everything if fine). Anyways, I am going to speak with my Doctor on Tues (my next appt) in regards to C sections and SSH etc. Just trying to stay positive and relaxed, but I have had about a half dozen friends who have delivered at SSH in the past 2 years that had wonderful experiences. Wishing us all luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"