Cloth Diapering

Help with nighttime dipes

I have been CD for almost 6 months with no issues. I use pockets during the day and I was using a tri folded prefolds with a bamboo in the middle at night with a cover over. My covers and prefolds were NB size and baby has outgrown them so I went to pockets and it has been a disaster ever since. Nothing is holding through the night. I tried a pocket with a MF and a bamboo behind and he leaked. So then I tried a MF with 2 bamboo behind and he leaked. Last night I did a change at 230 and he got up at 730 and he had leaked. Jr does not sleep through the night and is often up every hour to 2 hours so this may be part of it. He is nursing a lot still at night. I'm half tempted to order some bigger prefolds and some blueberry OS covers and call it a day. I don't want to have to sposie at night.
imageimageimageimage

Re: Help with nighttime dipes

• Pockets never worked for us after awhile, no matter what we out in them. We switched to fitteds and those worked great.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not familiar with fitteds but I will check into them.
    imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with @rrrrrachel….fitteds and covers.  If you overstuff a pocket it will cause gaps in the legs….and leaks

I say fitteds and covers :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Or get some bigger prefolds and hemp. These have always been my go to overnight. Either way get some bigger covers (best bottoms are great, cough, cough).

Fitteds are great, but i never found the need.
  • Thanks ladies!!
    imageimageimageimage

• Let's say I went the prefolds route, could I use a hemp or bamboo prefolds without the MF? I know those are slower absorbing.
    imageimageimageimage

• Let's say I went the prefolds route, could I use a hemp or bamboo prefolds without the MF? I know those are slower absorbing.
    We use *zero* MF here. So yes, hemp or bamboo prefolds would be fine. But put them in a cover instead of making yourself crazy trying to make pockets work for overnight. We haven't been able to use them reliably ON since DD was about the same age as your LO.

I don't use microfiber. You'll need to do a little trial and error to figure out what you need.

I made my own hemp inserts. From 12 months to 2 years I've used one large cotton prefold and two double layer hemp inserts. I made my own hemp inserts out of one yard of hemp fleece.

You could easily use a bamboo prefold without microfiber. Hemp absorbs slower so if it's just hemp it may cause issues, if it's a blend it might be fine. You'll need to test it.
  • sarenu1 said:
    Hemp absorbs slower so if it's just hemp it may cause issues, if it's a blend it might be fine. You'll need to test it.
    I don't think any of the easily available hemp prefolds (BabyKicks, Geffen, Thirsties) are solely hemp. They are all a cotton/hemp blend and hold a ton.

• sarenu1 said:

Hemp absorbs slower so if it's just hemp it may cause issues, if it's a blend it might be fine. You'll need to test it.

I don't think any of the easily available hemp prefolds (BabyKicks, Geffen, Thirsties) are solely hemp. They are all a cotton/hemp blend and hold a ton.

Disclaimer: I've never looked at hemp prefolds so I know nothing about them.
  • Okay, I am just trying to make sure I give myself the least possibility of leaks. I think I am going to try a prefold with a cover. If that doesn't work I'll try fitted. Does it matter if it's a flat?
    imageimageimageimage

• Okay, I am just trying to make sure I give myself the least possibility of leaks. I think I am going to try a prefold with a cover. If that doesn't work I'll try fitted. Does it matter if it's a flat?

Nope it doesn't matter. If research some folds. If he's leaking in the side you'll want to pin or Snappi it. And you can always double them up.
  • sarenu1 said:

Okay, I am just trying to make sure I give myself the least possibility of leaks. I think I am going to try a prefold with a cover. If that doesn't work I'll try fitted. Does it matter if it's a flat?

Nope it doesn't matter. If research some folds. If he's leaking in the side you'll want to pin or Snappi it. And you can always double them up.
    I know a few different folds. And I do have snappis. Thanks again.
    imageimageimageimage

• We use prefolds and double them up at night now that she's sleeping through.  Works fantastic.  When we bump up to the next size, I just use one of the size she wears during the day and one of the smaller to double her up so the diapers aren't as big at night.  I don't think she's ever leaked out of those!
  • Pockets didn't work for me at night either. I switched to fitteds (TT and Sbish) with a blueberry coverall and it's worked amazingly. I also use some BB cover with a hemp trifolded prefold with a MF sandwiched in-between the folds and that's been working as well. I just bought a joeybunz so that's my next trial!

I only use MF bc I have it btw. 
    Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
    BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Pockets didn't work for me at night either. I switched to fitteds (TT and Sbish) with a blueberry coverall and it's worked amazingly. I also use some BB cover with a hemp trifolded prefold with a MF sandwiched in-between the folds and that's been working as well. I just bought a joeybunz so that's my next trial!

I only use MF bc I have it btw. 
    That's how I was doing it before only with bamboo. The prefold tri folded with the bamboo sandwiched between and it worked great. I love BB.
    imageimageimageimage

• sarenu1 said:
    Okay, I am just trying to make sure I give myself the least possibility of leaks. I think I am going to try a prefold with a cover. If that doesn't work I'll try fitted. Does it matter if it's a flat?
    For DS at one month we use a prefold jelly rolled and snappied with a size small thristies hemp insert laid in a bummis super whisper wrap with no issues. I only change him at night if he poops and we haven't had any leaks with this combination.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"