September 2012 Moms

Opinions of the Unpopular kind...

I just wanted to beat kellers...

Re: Opinions of the Unpopular kind...

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't even stand up in a wedding if the dress was $400.  Perhaps this is a regional thing, or I have cheap friends?  The most I paid was $189.  It wouldn't have been bad if the dress wouldn't have been ugly and they wouldn't have been divorced in less than a year...

I had a UO on my way to work this morning, then got distracted.  Perhaps it'll come to me...

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• I wouldn't even stand up in a wedding if the dress was $400.  Perhaps this is a regional thing, or I have cheap friends?  The most I paid was $189.  It wouldn't have been bad if the dress wouldn't have been ugly and they wouldn't have been divorced in less than a year...

I had a UO on my way to work this morning, then got distracted.  Perhaps it'll come to me...
    The most I ever had to pay for a dress was just over $200, and it was the cutest of the bunch when it came to bridesmaid dresses. I think attendants should have to pay for their own dress. I also don't think it comes out of the gift money for the couple.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I was MOH for a wedding in college and my friend knew my money situation.  She still chose a $400+ dress and then it was another $100 in alterations and another $50 for shoes.  I threw her a bachelorette party that cost me $200+ and didn't feel like I could afford a wedding gift on top of that, because there wasn't anything less than $100 on their registry and they both had full house set ups and had been living together for two years.  She had the nerve to ask me later and then subsequently end our friendship because I didn't buy them a wedding gift.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• I think people who use their nursing baby as an excuse to bring him/her everywhere are annoying. There's a girl in a FB group I belong to who's griping that she can't bring her daughter (almost 1) to an 8-hour training for some volunteer work she does. She thinks the organization is being inflexible. I think it's ridiculous to assume anyone else wants to look at/listen to your child while attending something that is for adults.

• melody921 said:

I wouldn't even stand up in a wedding if the dress was $400.  Perhaps this is a regional thing, or I have cheap friends?  The most I paid was $189.  It wouldn't have been bad if the dress wouldn't have been ugly and they wouldn't have been divorced in less than a year...

The most I ever had to pay for a dress was just over $200, and it was the cutest of the bunch when it came to bridesmaid dresses. I think attendants should have to pay for their own dress. I also don't think it comes out of the gift money for the couple.
    I don't think it comes out of the gift either. I just consider it as an additional gift (to rationalize it in my head I guess) since it's obviously a close friend or family member, KWIM?

• My UO is that I think it is really silly how people in Atlanta are getting up in arms over what happened during their winter storm.  They want to know why and how their roads got so congested?  Well, I could tell you, but I don't think you really want to know the truth.
    the truth is that the city/state was completely unprepared. Because, well, it's unrealistic for them to be completely prepared for something like that.
    They can never be completely prepared, but I read a quote from the mayor of Atlanta that said after the snow they had in 2011 that shut down the city for 3 or 4 days, they purchased 70 snow plows! I'm not sure when/if those plows were dispatched...would be interesting to know.

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• TheAnne said:
    I have no issue with nail clipping at work as long as it's not around food or where someone has to watch or see any clipping aftermath. 
    Eww, I do. I also take issue with people who apply deodorant at their desks and pick their teeth.

• I'm surprised at the number of s12 babies that aren't in cribs anymore. I mean, do what works for your family and keep your kid safe and all that but #babyjail4lyfe
    I know some of those folks are also following the Montessori style bedroom (as will we) where the entire room is "designed" to be child-friendly and allow them freedom and access. This means, no heavy furniture (or bolted to walls), no cords, no breakables in the room.

Little Sprout Blog

• I was MOH for a wedding in college and my friend knew my money situation.  She still chose a $400+ dress and then it was another $100 in alterations and another $50 for shoes.  I threw her a bachelorette party that cost me $200+ and didn't feel like I could afford a wedding gift on top of that, because there wasn't anything less than $100 on their registry and they both had full house set ups and had been living together for two years.  She had the nerve to ask me later and then subsequently end our friendship because I didn't buy them a wedding gift.
    No offense but you should have told her no or backed out. I've done that before. I was asked to be in 3 weddings in 2 months and I was in law school. Yeah sorry I couldn't afford all 3, so I turned the 3rd one down. I was just upfront and honest and she totally understood. If she wouldn't have understood she's probably not the type of person I would've been friends with anyway.
    I considered it, but her sister had died less than a year before and she made a big deal about I was her best friend and she needed a MOH because her sister had died etc.  I just thought it was fairly inconsiderate because she knew my money situation and because I was also newly engaged trying to plan a wedding.  

I had my bridesmaid dresses made and I only asked my girls to purchase the fabric.  Which was like $25 - $50 and I paid the dressmaker.  

• thebanichthebanich member
    edited January 2014
    TheAnne said:

Do you even need to plow 2 inches?

I feel like 2 inches just melts away or blows away in a few hours.

this issue was the ice, not the snow and the winds were likely nothing like what you prairie people get ;)  The snow doesn't blow much around but even if it did, the inch of ice under it made it so no one could do anything but skid into each other.  the whole thing was a clusterfuck of bad decisions. 
    Pretty much. The whole "Oh get over it southerners" thing is really old. People in the south don't know how to drive in snow and they don't have the equipment to deal with it. There was no salt, no sand etc.  They weren't expecting anything until later in the day and everyone tried to go home at the same damn time.

Clusterfuck is a perfect word for the situation.

• Yeah. Bedrooms are for sleeping.  Not roaming around freely and getting up in the middle of the night to play with toys.
    They aren't supposed to be getting up in the middle of the night to roam, they are supposed to be in there bed :) Plus, in those bedrooms, they have little to no toys or other objects lying around to play with. It's certainly not for everyone, but I see no harm in giving it a shot when you think your child is ready. We'll try it around 2.5 years old.

Little Sprout Blog

• My UO is that I think it is really silly how people in Atlanta are getting up in arms over what happened during their winter storm.  They want to know why and how their roads got so congested?  Well, I could tell you, but I don't think you really want to know the truth.
    the truth is that the city/state was completely unprepared. Because, well, it's unrealistic for them to be completely prepared for something like that.

STUCK
    Yeah, when you have hardly any plows and salt trucks to prepare, 2 in of snow and ice become a big deal. It wasn't even really the snow that was the problem, it was the ice. Atlanta is mostly hills and bridges, so no matter how slow you go, you're going to start sliding. Driving on ice is pretty much a no brainer, but when nothing been done to the roads, there's not much you can do to stop sliding. Just one or two cars crashing or an 18-wheeler jack-knifing can block a whole road. When we had ice last week tow trucks weren't even going out to clear the cars because of the road conditions, so that just added to the traffic mess. When cities don't get much winter weather, there's no reason to keep a fleet of salt trucks at the ready.
    But you're right. All southerners are just idiots who don't know how to drive and can't handle cold weather. *eyeroll*
    @sharkfarts I didn't say that.  But the last time I checked most people could check weather for themselves.  So if it was going to be as bad as they say they predicted, then maybe you call in to work and say you aren't comfortable with driving.  The part I find silly is blaming the government completely and totally.  I have read numerous articles where people say, "well the government didn't cancel schools and didn't tell us to close our businesses."  Well, maybe you need to make that decision for yourself.  

FTR, I grew up in TX and consider myself a southerner living in KS.  I don't think southerners are dumb, I just think it was a bad situation.  There doesn't necessarily need to be someone to blame!

• melody921 said:
    I think people who use their nursing baby as an excuse to bring him/her everywhere are annoying. There's a girl in a FB group I belong to who's griping that she can't bring her daughter (almost 1) to an 8-hour training for some volunteer work she does. She thinks the organization is being inflexible. I think it's ridiculous to assume anyone else wants to look at/listen to your child while attending something that is for adults.

especially an almost 1 year old.

Newborns at a mandatory event, I can see.

Exactly. She's saying her daughter won't take a bottle and needs to nurse. I contend at that age, you can either find a way to work around her nursing schedule by giving her more food or a cup. Or else, bring someone along with you to mind your kid off-site but nearby so you can duck out to nurse. I just get so tired of it. It's not like I can bring my kid to work.

They can never be completely prepared, but I read a quote from the mayor of Atlanta that said after the snow they had in 2011 that shut down the city for 3 or 4 days, they purchased 70 snow plows! I'm not sure when/if those plows were dispatched...would be interesting to know.

_______

I saw an iinterview with the mayor last night. He said in the city of Atlanta the streets were plowed by morning and drivable. He has no jurisdiction over the interstates and wishes people would stop blaming 'Atlanta' for the traffic nightmare and start blaming Georgia State and the rest of the metropolitan towns/jurisdictions who did not have their streets plowed.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Stasi said:
    I'm surprised at the number of s12 babies that aren't in cribs anymore. I mean, do what works for your family and keep your kid safe and all that but #babyjail4lyfe
    I know some of those folks are also following the Montessori style bedroom (as will we) where the entire room is "designed" to be child-friendly and allow them freedom and access. This means, no heavy furniture (or bolted to walls), no cords, no breakables in the room.
    I intrigued by this. What kind of furniture do you use that wouldn't be heavy or possibly dangerous. We have everything bolted to the walls.

• I just wanted to beat kellers...

Stuck 
    That took me a minute. I was trying to figure out what she did wrong that would make you want to beat her. Ha. 
    Ha!
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • I think people who use their nursing baby as an excuse to bring him/her everywhere are annoying. There's a girl in a FB group I belong to who's griping that she can't bring her daughter (almost 1) to an 8-hour training for some volunteer work she does. She thinks the organization is being inflexible. I think it's ridiculous to assume anyone else wants to look at/listen to your child while attending something that is for adults.
    I refused to leave my nursing 12 month old for an overnight offsite. My boss' wife babysat her during the days and while we went out for dinner, and she stayed in the hotel with me at night. To be fair, I didn't insist that she be with me for the "adult" events, and if she hadn't come with me, my DH would have had to take a half day off of work to do both daycare drop off and pick up (and DH is hourly, not salaried), but still. My perspective was that my obligation to my company falls within my agreed upon business hours, and that since they were asking for an exception, I was within my bounds to ask for compromise and accommodation as well.

STUCK
    Yeah, when you have hardly any plows and salt trucks to prepare, 2 in of snow and ice become a big deal. It wasn't even really the snow that was the problem, it was the ice. Atlanta is mostly hills and bridges, so no matter how slow you go, you're going to start sliding. Driving on ice is pretty much a no brainer, but when nothing been done to the roads, there's not much you can do to stop sliding. Just one or two cars crashing or an 18-wheeler jack-knifing can block a whole road. When we had ice last week tow trucks weren't even going out to clear the cars because of the road conditions, so that just added to the traffic mess. When cities don't get much winter weather, there's no reason to keep a fleet of salt trucks at the ready.
    But you're right. All southerners are just idiots who don't know how to drive and can't handle cold weather. *eyeroll*
    @sharkfarts I didn't say that.  But the last time I checked most people could check weather for themselves.  So if it was going to be as bad as they say they predicted, then maybe you call in to work and say you aren't comfortable with driving.  The part I find silly is blaming the government completely and totally.  I have read numerous articles where people say, "well the government didn't cancel schools and didn't tell us to close our businesses."  Well, maybe you need to make that decision for yourself.  

FTR, I grew up in TX and consider myself a southerner living in KS.  I don't think southerners are dumb, I just think it was a bad situation.  There doesn't necessarily need to be someone to blame!

See, that doesn't work. Most people can't or won't just keep the kids out of school for funsies and then not go to work.

If the kids go to school in a bad situation and something happens the administration is always going to be to blame. They made the decision to keep schools open.

This happened where I live on Tuesday (we get a fair amount of snow). The county waited to long to close the schools and a bus skidded off a road and rolled and it sent a kid to the hospital.

• We do "Bagel Thursday" at the office, where every week a different person signs up to bring in bagels and coffee. It's a nice thing to look forward to and has actually really boosted morale. But we have one woman who complains EVERY week that bagels are unhealthy and we shouldn't be eating so many carbs. So don't eat them, yo.

• We get ice and snow a lot.... usually after a 60 degree day. Damn Missouri.

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • eshee8198 said:
    I think people who use their nursing baby as an excuse to bring him/her everywhere are annoying. There's a girl in a FB group I belong to who's griping that she can't bring her daughter (almost 1) to an 8-hour training for some volunteer work she does. She thinks the organization is being inflexible. I think it's ridiculous to assume anyone else wants to look at/listen to your child while attending something that is for adults.
    I refused to leave my nursing 12 month old for an overnight offsite. My boss' wife babysat her during the days and while we went out for dinner, and she stayed in the hotel with me at night. To be fair, I didn't insist that she be with me for the "adult" events, and if she hadn't come with me, my DH would have had to take a half day off of work to do both daycare drop off and pick up (and DH is hourly, not salaried), but still. My perspective was that my obligation to my company falls within my agreed upon business hours, and that since they were asking for an exception, I was within my bounds to ask for compromise and accommodation as well.
    I can see your point on this, and it's nice they could accommodate. My boss and job would not have been so accommodating. When I had to travel, DD was home with DH, drinking bottles. I just don't like when people expect it and act like everyone is anti-kid and anti-nursing mom if they are told to leave their LO home.

• But you're right. All southerners are just idiots who don't know how to drive and can't handle cold weather. *eyeroll*
    Yup. Just like northerners are whiny bitches who can't handle 90 degree weather ;)

Ice is difficult to drive on, there is no denying that, but I don't think anyone is saying that the main reason everything shut down is because people in Atlanta can't drive. It was because of bad decision making on the part of the mayor's office/GDOT/whoever makes those kind of calls and surrounding suburbs mixed with an incredible amount of people hitting the roads right as the conditions got really bad...

Little Sprout Blog

• Snow is pretty and I wish I lived farther north so I could get more of it. I want all of the snow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"