September 2012 Moms

High fat diet to lose weight

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but it was an interesting read on my FB this morning... Swedish health officials are pushing a high fat, low carb diet as a way to treat obesity and diabetes and help people lose weight in general:

https://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sweden-becomes-first-western-nation-to-reject-low-fat-diet-dogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition/

Re: High fat diet to lose weight

• Interesting. This doesn't surprise me. Years ago I did Atkins for about 7 months. I lost weight and felt healthier and "lighter" somehow. I can't explain it. But your body operates completely differently when you completely eliminate sugar and other carbs - I just felt much better.

Atkins (and all low carb diets, really) gets such a bad rap because people picture 10 oz steaks, sticks of butter and bowls of heavy cream. That's not what it's about at all. Not to mention all the pre-packaged candy and snacks they have now. None of that was available 10 years ago.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • willy_gertwilly_gert member
    edited January 2014
    The bad thing about Atkins and other low carb/ no carb diets is that your body starts getting energy by essentially eating your muscles.  They aren't bad diets, but they can have lasting ill effects.  My dad did South Beach and he always had great muscle tone in his legs and it is completely gone now.  He lost 100+ pounds, but his legs are incredibly weak and it is really hard and a long process to build back muscles and muscle tone.  

In my experience and research and education, the best diets are not diets, but lifestyle changes and are changes that include moderation.  You need carbs, you need protein, you need certain kinds of fat.  I can get on board with cutting out processed sugar because it doens't occur naturally, but really, there aren't a lot of food groups you should just cut out.

::Steps off Soapbox::

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure about the muscle tone, because I'm not a doctor. But I know a lot of hard core exercise fans and trainers who don't eat carbs and they retain muscle because they eat a lot of protein. I know too much protein can put a strain on your kidneys, but I don't think no carb = no muscle.

You don't have to completely cut anything out with Atkins, execept sugar. I ate fruit, oatmeal, quinoa, beans, etc. They are all carbs. This is another myth associated with Atkins.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• The bad thing about Atkins and other low carb/ no carb diets is that your body starts getting energy by essentially eating your muscles.  They aren't bad diets, but they can have lasting ill effects.  My dad did South Beach and he always had great muscle tone in his legs and it is completely gone now.  He lost 100+ pounds, but his legs are incredibly weak and it is really hard and a long process to build back muscles and muscle tone.  

In my experience and research and education, the best diets are not diets, but lifestyle changes and are changes that include moderation.  You need carbs, you need protein, you need certain kinds of fat.  I can get on board with cutting out processed sugar because it doens't occur naturally, but really, there aren't a lot of food groups you should just cut out.

::Steps off Soapbox::
    I completely agree that you shouldn't cut out an entire food group- carbs are not evil, nor is fat, nor is protein- we need them all.  I just thought it was an interesting approach to not see fat as the cause of us getting fat.  I don't think the swedes were recommending cutting out all carbs or even something so extreme as atkins, but rather emphasizing adding healthy fats and proteins as a way of staying full longer, and limiting carb intake as a result.  I just read the article though, not the studies.
  • MomtobeNJ said:

Interesting. This doesn't surprise me. Years ago I did Atkins for about 7 months. I lost weight and felt healthier and "lighter" somehow. I can't explain it. But your body operates completely differently when you completely eliminate sugar and other carbs - I just felt much better.

Atkins (and all low carb diets, really) gets such a bad rap because people picture 10 oz steaks, sticks of butter and bowls of heavy cream. That's not what it's about at all. Not to mention all the pre-packaged candy and snacks they have now. None of that was available 10 years ago.
    About ten years ago, I lived with three girls who all did Atkins together. When I remember that house, all I can think of is the lingering bacon and sausage smell!!

That's all I wanted to add:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"