TTC After a Loss

OPK question

Since I am a POAS addict and I haven't POAS'ed in almost 2 months, I had to get my fix today. I am on CD12 since my D&C and have not bled/spotted for a few days now. I have had some cramping/pain near my left ovary which felt similar to O pain. That, coupled with an increase in creamy/watery CM, led me to reaching for that new pack of OPKs that I have. The OPK came back very positive, very quick. Realizing that possibly could be because I could still have Hcg in my system after this most recent loss, I decided to "waste" a wondfo hpt to see if I was still testing positive. Sigh, it came back positive. 

All of that said, is it safe to assume that the OPK came back positive because I still have residual hcg in my system and not in fact because I am actually O'ing? We are benched for 2 cycles anyway, however I am charting and using OPKs to see what my cycles are going to do now. 
PCOS & ute crew member
BFP #1: 10/24/2012  EDD 7/3/13, missed m/c @ 9 weeks, D&E 
DX: Septate Uterus. Septum resection 6/4/13
BFP #2: 12/20/2013  EDD 9/1/14, missed m/c @ 7weeks, D&E
BFP #3: 5/26/2014 EDD 2/7/15, missed m/c @ 9 weeks, D&E- DX Trisomy22
RPL, Karyotyping, and SHG: All Normal
BFP #4: 9/6/14 EDD 5/16/15 Praying for our RAINBOW!
Baby GIRL on the way!!
**All AL Welcome**

Re: OPK question

• You are correct, hcg will turn an opk positive.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• @KMW08 - thank you! I thought that was the case, but was just wishfully thinking that just maybe my body was doing something right for once
    PCOS & ute crew member
    Baby GIRL on the way!!
    **All AL Welcome**

• Loading the player...
  • Hcg does not always turn an opk positive. I've never had a positive opk with a positive hpt. There's no way to know if it's because of the hcg or not. Sorry. Maybe you can just keep testing with opks and see if they fade out and back in again.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• KMW08KMW08 member
    edited January 2014
    RayRay007 said:

Hcg does not always turn an opk positive. I've never had a positive opk with a positive hpt. There's no way to know if it's because of the hcg or not. Sorry. Maybe you can just keep testing with opks and see if they fade out and back in again.

@RayRay007
    You're only right about not knowing if it's hcg or LH, but since her hpt was also positive it's def from the hcg.

https://www.justmommies.com/articles/opk-as-hpt.shtml

https://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ovulation-test-as-pregnancy-test.html

FWIW @alysonjill with both my d&c's I did weekly hpts to personally track my falling levels & to estimate when af would show. AF showed at 50 & 42 days post d&c, so I had 6wks of positive hpts.

image    image

• KMW08KMW08 member
    edited January 2014
    When peeonastick.com existed, she explained that HCG & LH are nearly identical, but one had a do-dad.

So simply,
    This smiley :) represents LH
    This smiley :\"> represents HCG

They are the exact same smiley except HCG is slightly more fancy with a blushing animation.

Thus LH & HCG are so similar they can both cause an OPK to be positive.

However because LH is missing the do-dad/blushing animation, LH will NOT turn a hpt positive.

image    image

• KMW08 said:
    Hcg does not always turn an opk positive. I've never had a positive opk with a positive hpt. There's no way to know if it's because of the hcg or not. Sorry. Maybe you can just keep testing with opks and see if they fade out and back in again.
    @RayRay007 You're only right about not knowing if it's hcg or LH, but if her hpt was also positive it's def from the hcg. https://www.justmommies.com/articles/opk-as-hpt.shtml https://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ovulation-test-as-pregnancy-test.html FWIW @alysonjill with both my d&c's I did weekly hpts to personally track my falling levels & to estimate when af would show. AF showed at 50 & 42 days post d&c, so I had 6wks of positive hpts.
    Thank you for those articles. That explains it perfectly.

If I recall correctly, I was still testing positive for 2-3 weeks after my last mmc. At 5 or 6 weeks post D&C, I still had not gotten AF and was put on birth control pills. Therefore, I don't have any experience with how long AF takes to arrive. I have a bunch of wondfos, so I'll probably do what you did and track my levels down. I'm beginning to feel crazy!
    PCOS & ute crew member
    Baby GIRL on the way!!
    **All AL Welcome**

• KMW08 said:
    When peeonastick.com existed, she explained that HCG & LH are nearly identical, but one had a do-dad. So simply, This smiley :) represents LH This smiley :\"> represents HCG They are the exact same smiley except HCG is slightly more fancy with a blushing animation. Thus LH & HCG are so similar they can both cause an OPK to be positive. However because LH is missing the do-dad/blushing animation, LH will NOT turn a hpt positive.
    You are the OPK guru!  :P
    PCOS & ute crew member
    Baby GIRL on the way!!
    **All AL Welcome**

• I found one more site, not as thorough as the infamous poas.com, but brief explanations & pictures
    https://peestickparadise.com/opk_as_hpt.html

image    image

• KMW08 said about the tests. I'm sorry you are dealing with this too! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"