May 2012 Moms
Options

Crying during a book

Strangest thing happened. I was reading LO snuggle puppy, a boynton book, which i sing to him, and he started to cry. But it wasn't a normal cry, it was the most sorrowful cry I've ever seen from him. His lip quivered after a couple pages and then he quietly sobbed, tears going down his cheeks. When the book ended he was totally fine again. He did it two nights in a row with that book. The first night I thought it was a fluke. The second night, the association was obvious so I asked my husband... And I learned he did it when my husband sang the book too! It's a totally happy, non scary book. Has anyone else kiddos ever had a reaction like this to a book? It was kind of spooky.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Crying during a book

• Options
    DD occasionally gets really upset about stuff in books, like in I Love You Because You're You, she gets upset every time we get to the page where the little fox is sad because his toy airplane broke. She starts crying "a-pane boke. Mommy, wix it!" And just won't stop talking about it until I can convince her that the fox's mommy will fix it for him. Same thing with the part of Oh My Oh Dinosaurs where the balloon is broken.

I think they are starting to develop empathy and more complex emotions at this point. Does your son talk enough to tell you why he's crying? If not, maybe avoid that book unless he requests it and try to make it more "fun" than sweet by pointing out the big mess puppy made with the cookies, all of the silly things puppy is doing, etc. (It's a favorite book here too!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I know that book by heart! That's a funny one to upset anyone ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"