Baby Showers
Options

Invite wording for non cliche shower

My Mom and I are planning a shower for my cousin. I really don't know much about showers, but my Mom has been to a whole bunch. MTB isn't into the whole cliche pastel colors, you name it type of shower. That's fine, and I know we're gonna have fun with it. But my Mom wants to put in the invite a note stating to NOT buy cliche outfits. MTB hates the pastel in your face IT'S A BOY type clothing. So no football stuff, trucks, blue colored item. I don't think we need a note because you can tell from her registry that she's not into it, but my Mom says that she's seen lots of people disregard the list and buy whatever they want.

So if we include a note, what the hell do we say to not seem so rude? I suggested a witty poem or something, but I honestly don't think we need a note. Thoughts?
May 14 Jan Siggy Challenge New Years resolutions I will not keep: Saving Money
Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Invite wording for non cliche shower

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I knew I was right ;). I'm in charge of the invites, so I'll just keep putting my foot down about the note. The registry and invites themselves should set the tone. Worse comes to worse, she'll return them or maybe she might be surprised and find some things cute!
  • Options
    linzerdlinzerd member
    edited January 2014
    I hate pink and am having a girl. The invitation said "The parents to be prefer gender neutral colors. Baby s's nursery will have an ocean theme" plain and simple. Don't buy pink and please stay within the chosen theme. (If you want to see your gift put to use basically...)

Firstly I would like to say that I was nervous of how to say that on the invitation. I didn't think that it should have said anything, but my mother insisted (she and MIL are hosting together but MH and I designed the invitations b/c he is a graphic designer and works for a printing co., so the invitations were free) And there were a lot of people who commented on how much they liked them and wanted to know where we got them.

I'm sure there will be some on here that do not agree with the fact that it said that or think it is rude. Regardless of that it is too late and the invitations went out long ago. My shower is next Sat. and I'm pretty sure no one decided they weren't coming because they were offended that it said that on the invitation. My friends and family/MH's family know me well so I'm sure this hasn't caused anyone's panties to bunch!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    "It's a boy; But unfortunately you have shitty taste; So give us something; And include a gift receipt just in case!"

:-j
  • Options
    I agree that you can't say anything.I am also hoping not to get a lot of cutesy outfits for my shower because I simply don't think I'll use them. So I asked my mom to make the shower theme something gender-neutral to sort of set that tone. The invite won't say anything about it being a boy, even though it's not really a secret. And if anyone calls my mom to ask about the sex, my mom can say something like "It's a boy but they're hoping to keep things neutral in case #2 comes along soon" or let them know my nursery decor is white/green or something like that. That's as far as I would go with giving gift suggestions.
    BabyFruit Ticker 

image image image image image
    Married since June 2012
    EDD May 2014
  • Options
    linzerdlinzerd member
    edited January 2014
    >eta quote fail
    You never know.  If I was going to your shower I'd probably go out of my way to get you a pink nursery decoration with kittens and hearts on it.  And not include a gift receipt.  Just to teach you and your host a lesson that this is not cool.

The only lesson this would teach me was that you obviously don't care that you just wasted your own money.

There have been a lot of things bought off the registry already and what isn't we will get on our own, I don't need it all to be bought for me. So if someone thought they were being a smart ass and "teaching me a lesson" they would be sorely mistaken. I really don't understand why people even want to give someone a gift they don't like or won't use. It's a waste of time and money. I always try to give people gifts that are practical and that they will like.
    If you want it to be something that you will like, then go buy something for yourself and don't bother giving a gift at all. I think that's the point of a gift. To give someone something they like, can enjoy, and will use.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    But you wouldn't know if you pissed me off or not. I would smile and tell you I loooooved it so much and then into the trash it would go when I got home. :P
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You're right. It is wrong. To a bunch of chicks on TB. Good thing I'll never know who was trash talking me cause it doesn't matter to me one bit. Not really that important to me what the almighty internet strangers say either.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm confused.  Your honored guests took time out of their day to come to your shower.  Why would you want to do something that could possibly make you come across as impolite ?  Especially to those people that spent time and money on you and your baby.  

Again, this isn't just " ladies on the bump, " it is common sense  and well common decency to not tell people how to spend money on you unless they specifically ask.  

Do you do the same thing for your birthday and Christmas ?  Do you call people up and say " Oh by the way, if you were planning on getting me something, don't buy this and this and that and that.

Listen, by the time I had my baby shower, I already had my fill of pink clothes, but it would not have been nice to have said anything on my shower invitation about not getting anything pink.  
  • Options
    linzerd said:

I hate pink and am having a girl. The invitation said "The parents to be prefer gender neutral colors. Baby s's nursery will have an ocean theme" plain and simple. Don't buy pink and please stay within the chosen theme. (If you want to see your gift put to use basically...)

Firstly I would like to say that I was nervous of how to say that on the invitation. I didn't think that it should have said anything, but my mother insisted (she and MIL are hosting together but MH and I designed the invitations b/c he is a graphic designer and works for a printing co., so the invitations were free) And there were a lot of people who commented on how much they liked them and wanted to know where we got them.

I'm sure there will be some on here that do not agree with the fact that it said that or think it is rude. Regardless of that it is too late and the invitations went out long ago. My shower is next Sat. and I'm pretty sure no one decided they weren't coming because they were offended that it said that on the invitation. My friends and family/MH's family know me well so I'm sure this hasn't caused anyone's panties to bunch!

Seriously? I hate pink and I would buy you the pinkest, bow covered outfit if I got this.

Sure, I would have preferred more gender neutral stuff because it's my style. But, fun fact, as the mother of two girls, when you're on our second blow out of the day and you haven't had a chance to do laundry in the week, you will be thankful for the clean pink onsie and not give a ____ about the fact that it's pink.
  • Options
    linzerd said:
    But you wouldn't know if you pissed me off or not. I would smile and tell you I loooooved it so much and then into the trash it would go when I got home. :P

And into the trash your invitation would go. I wouldn't buy you shit.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

If your cousin didn't want 'boy' clothing, then why did she find out the sex and tell everybody?

I'm not finding out the sex because while I'm also not into the whole pink/girl blue/boy, it doesn't mean I wouldn't accept a lovely gender specific gift after my son or daughter is born.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"