TTC After a Loss

Question about D&C

ksz_3ksz_3 member
edited January 2014 in TTC After a Loss
I haven't yet had my D&C. I was going to wait until the weekend to see if I miscarry naturally but the more I think about it, I just want to move on as quickly as possible. I'm don't know much about the D&C except for it's purpose is to scrape the lining of the uterus to start fresh.

My question is do you have to be put to sleep or do you have the option? Will they give you general anesthesia? Is anesthesia necessary if I can deal with some discomfort? I've asked my coworkers a few questions and they both said it's just a big fluff and it's not as bad as it sounds. They were both awake for their procedure. Any insight would help.

BFP #1 12.12.2013 | EDD 08.24.2014 | MMC 01.27.13 @ 10w 1d, Baby measured 6w 2d | Natural MC 02.01.14

Currently NTNP

Blog 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Question about D&C

• I've had both and I would prefer to be put under. It's quite painful and rather disturbing to be awake during the procedure. In addition, I didn't really appreciate the nurses and doctor chit chatting like it was no big deal. They were removing my babies kwim?

Good luck with whichever one you chose. At a minimum, it goes pretty quick.
  • I've had 2 D&C's. They were both performed at the hospital under anesthesia. I think your co-workers are incorrect. D&C's are considered surgery for a reason. At this point, I am glad I was asleep for the procedure because as soon as I woke up, I could start to heal and I was not awake to remember the hard/painful parts.  I am not afraid of having a D&C.

I am very sorry for your loss and I hope whatever loss method occurs for you is quick and easy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

TTC #1 since June 2012
    Current Status:  IVF with ICSI and PGS
    Genetic, RPL, SA and Fertility testing = Normal/Good
        HSG = All Clear
    BFP #1 12.30.2012  ||  Blighted Ovum 02.05.2013  ||  D&C 02.11.2013
    BFP #2 09.10.2013  ||  c/p 09.12.2013

BFP #3 12.1.2013  ||  mm/c  01.15.14  ||  D&C 01.21.14  chromosome abnormality
    May 2014:  Residual HCG and retained tissue found
    05.13.2014:  Hysteroscopy D&C to find and remove retained tissue
    June 2014:  Tissue sample results indicate a partial molar pregnancy
    May - Aug 2014:   TTA for monitoring and testing
    08.21.2014:  Hysteroscopy to remove minor scar tissue - the result of 3 D&Cs
    Sept/Oct: IUI #1  Femara + Bravelle + Ovidrel = BFN
    Oct/Nov: IUI #2  Femara + Ovidrel = BFN
    Nov/Dec: IUI #3  Femara + Bravelle + Ovidrel = BFN

My Ovulation Chart  || *~*~All AL Welcome~*~* ||  DIY Blog

imagehttp://i59.tinypic.com/v5ztqr.jpg  image

image image 

• Loading the player...
  • I had twilight anesthesia, which from what I understand means you are technically conscious but you won't remember anything.  Is there a reason you don't want anesthesia?  

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #1 1/29/13, EDD 10/9/13 
    MMC discovered at 10 weeks (baby measured 9 weeks) D&C on 3/16/13 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
    BFP #3  8/11/14  EDD 4/22/14
  • I've also had both and 100% agree with Pink Camino that being put under is better.  I was given light sedation/twilight and just went to sleep.   I woke up, it was done, and I wasn't in any pain.  The lead up was worse than the procedure itself.   

One question I would ask is if they are doing the D&C with ultrasound guidance.  They did that for me and it made me feel better that they were not going in "blind" so to speak.  

Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss.  I totally understand about wanting to move as quickly as possible.
    ----
    *I am no longer regularly posting on TB because of the fucked up debacle of Jan 2015 when administrators banned long-term members and mods with no notice and completely dismantled a community full of women who cared about each other.  If you see me posting it's only to give support to a poster who needs it or to post something important enough that I need to say.  I am no longer responding to  anything other than issues that affect people who I care about*
    37 years old, MH is 42
    TTC since 2010; Dx Unexplained Infertility; possible male factor 
    August 2012 through June 2013:  6 IUIs with clomid and trigger shot, all BFNs
    7/2013, Pregnant! Unmedicated--we were on a treatment break
    8/20/13 no heart beat; 8/23/13 d&c
    3/15/14 IVF #1:  Lupron/Follistim/Menopur; ER 3/10 resulting in four transfer grade blastocysts, transferred one pretty blast and froze the remaining three. BFN. 
    Natural FET in May cancelled because the universe hates me my hormones were not cooperating.
    6/24/14 FET #1: transferred two pretty embryos; BFN   
    8/28/14 FET #2: BFP, ended in Chemical pregnancy

Done with medical intervention and getting used to the idea of CFNBC.  

All welcome
  • ktlovess said:
    I was put to sleep and intubated actually. It was a blessing since I was pretty scared and emotional. I also hyperventilated when the doc used the word "missed abortion". That is an AWFUL medical word, but it is what it is called, though it made it seem like I chose it.

I also had a nurse ask me why I was crying right before. She said "are you scared about the surgery"? I said, no... I am upse t that this is happening. The she said "do you have any other kids". And I said no, and she said "too bad". Seriously, what a bitch face. So, that made me feel awful. I am sure that if I was awake, I would have been a wreck.

If you can chose, I would not want to be awake. It's not a "big fluff" at all (that's also not a very kind thing to say, and actually made me roll my eyes) and it definitely IS as bad as it sounds, considering why it's happening. That's my view on things.
    @ktlovess That is an awful thing to say.  ((hugs))  You deserve better then that.

OP, I agree with kt, a D&C is not "big fluff" nor is experiencing a mc.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

TTC #1 since June 2012
    Current Status:  IVF with ICSI and PGS
    Genetic, RPL, SA and Fertility testing = Normal/Good
        HSG = All Clear
    BFP #1 12.30.2012  ||  Blighted Ovum 02.05.2013  ||  D&C 02.11.2013
    BFP #2 09.10.2013  ||  c/p 09.12.2013

BFP #3 12.1.2013  ||  mm/c  01.15.14  ||  D&C 01.21.14  chromosome abnormality
    May 2014:  Residual HCG and retained tissue found
    05.13.2014:  Hysteroscopy D&C to find and remove retained tissue
    June 2014:  Tissue sample results indicate a partial molar pregnancy
    May - Aug 2014:   TTA for monitoring and testing
    08.21.2014:  Hysteroscopy to remove minor scar tissue - the result of 3 D&Cs
    Sept/Oct: IUI #1  Femara + Bravelle + Ovidrel = BFN
    Oct/Nov: IUI #2  Femara + Ovidrel = BFN
    Nov/Dec: IUI #3  Femara + Bravelle + Ovidrel = BFN

My Ovulation Chart  || *~*~All AL Welcome~*~* ||  DIY Blog

imagehttp://i59.tinypic.com/v5ztqr.jpg  image

image image 

• ksz_3ksz_3 member
    edited January 2014
    @laromana09 I've never had anesthesia and have never had surgery which makes me a bit scared.

@ktlovess I agree that it was a bitchy thing for your nurse to say. Also please understand that "big fluff" was not my words. I also agree it was something cruel thing to say but didn't really think their choice of words until now. Maybe the one girl put it that way because she's had 8 awful MCs but I'm not sure how many D&Cs?

I believe (if given a choice) I will go with being put under. I'm sure I will be a hot mess going in there and will need to be put out.

ETA: I will be going to another OB for my D&C if possible. The staff showed no empathy when I started bawling my eyes out. I'd prefer staff that could show me a little remorse and not numb to the fact that miscarriages is something they see everyday. I just wasn't comfortable there at all. They also didn't seem concerned that I had started bleeding and weren't willing to see me sooner than my appt that was already scheduled after I had already been to the ER.

BFP #1 12.12.2013 | EDD 08.24.2014 | MMC 01.27.13 @ 10w 1d, Baby measured 6w 2d | Natural MC 02.01.14

Currently NTNP

Blog 

• Don't be afraid of anesthesia.  One minute you're awake and they're administering the drugs, then next thing you know the procedure is done and you've already been in the recovery room for an hour.  It may help to take some xanax or equivalent before you get to the hospital.  I did and it really helped me.

BFP 7/16/13, EDD 3/27/14 - blighted ovum  - D&C 8/26/13
    Dx PCOS and Septate Uterus
    Septum Resection - 2/6/14
    brand new cuterus
    March 2014:   first medicated cycle + iui
    = BFP!
    Baby Drgn born December 3, 2014

• I have had 1 D &C and I am glad I was under anestesia.
    TW loss mentioned 

**BFP#1 9/5/12   EDD 5/15/13  changed to 5/25/13 after u/s,  missed mc 10/19/12.  D and C 10/22/12** 
     **BFP#2 9/12/13  EDD 5/16/14 changed to 5/27/14 after u/s, hb 126 on 10/11/13, miscarriage on 10/24.13**
    ~RPL testing results from 12/6/13 show everything normal except elevated prolactin. Blood work is now in the normal range. All AL welcome!
    BFP #3 10/24/14  Our rainbow baby was born July 2015
    BFP 4 10/28/19 EDD 7/6/20
  • @ksz_3  I was totally afraid of anesthesia until I had it.  As Drgn30 says, it's truly no big deal.  In fact, if I'm being totally honest, it was almost enjoyable in the fact that it was the first time I was relaxed and asleep since I had found out about my missed m/c.  

Good luck with a new OB - how horrible to not have empathy in an OB's office.  :(  
    ----
    *I am no longer regularly posting on TB because of the fucked up debacle of Jan 2015 when administrators banned long-term members and mods with no notice and completely dismantled a community full of women who cared about each other.  If you see me posting it's only to give support to a poster who needs it or to post something important enough that I need to say.  I am no longer responding to  anything other than issues that affect people who I care about*
    37 years old, MH is 42
    TTC since 2010; Dx Unexplained Infertility; possible male factor 
    August 2012 through June 2013:  6 IUIs with clomid and trigger shot, all BFNs
    7/2013, Pregnant! Unmedicated--we were on a treatment break
    8/20/13 no heart beat; 8/23/13 d&c
    3/15/14 IVF #1:  Lupron/Follistim/Menopur; ER 3/10 resulting in four transfer grade blastocysts, transferred one pretty blast and froze the remaining three. BFN. 
    Natural FET in May cancelled because the universe hates me my hormones were not cooperating.
    6/24/14 FET #1: transferred two pretty embryos; BFN   
    8/28/14 FET #2: BFP, ended in Chemical pregnancy

Done with medical intervention and getting used to the idea of CFNBC.  

All welcome
  • Thank you ladies for giving me a little bit more insight! It's really helped!

Currently NTNP

Blog 

• ksz_3ksz_3 member
    edited January 2014
    @meladoriestar I would have been LIVID! Missed abortion and habitual aborter are both insensitive terms to use.

Currently NTNP

Blog 

• I am so sorry for your loss. I had one D&C and 2 NMC. I was asleep for the D&C and wish I had one for the other 2 losses. It was an easy surgery and pain free recovery. It was over and done with fast. I only remember being wheeling into the OR.

I had a D&C with suction and I had MINIMAL spotting after. No cramping, no pain, no gushing, nothing. I know everyone is different, but that was my experience. I was also nice because I didn't have to bleed and pass POC for a week. My very best advice for you, is get the D&C. Don't wait. If you want you can send me a private message and I can tell you in much detail of my NMCs and D&C. Like I said, if I had the option for the other 2 losses, I would have done the D&C. GL
    imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I am so sorry sorry for you loss. I got put completely under for my D&C and I personally would not do it any other way. I also have them put something into the IV as soon as I get it to calm my nerves. When I woke up I was in quite a bit of pain and was given a few shots of pain medication into my IV within the first 15-20 minutes. I am so sorry that you have to go through this.
    Me- 27 w/PCOS     DH - 28
    TTC since December 2012 
    BFP 6/29/2013 - EDD 3/16/14 - MMC 9/5/2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS and taking metformin 750 mg  twice a day
    April 2014 -  - 1st ICI Cycle - BFP 5/15/14 EDD: 1/20/15
    A/S 8-22-14 - Its a BOY!!
    12/15 Checkup & heard his beautiful heartbeat
    ALL WELCOME -
    imageimage

• I also wasn't given a choice, I had IV sedation so I was asleep but not under general. I'm grateful that I have no memory of the actual procedure, I can't imagine. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• @ktlovess - what an asshat of a nurse you had. Too bad you didn't TP her for real. Blame it on the anesthesia.

OP - to echo the other ladies, a D&C, as with any part of medical or surgical management of a mc, is not "big fluff". If you can avoid the d&c, great. If not, enjoy the happy anesthesia drugs. For me, it was the only fluffy part of the whole ordeal.

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"