January 2013 Moms

Should I Change daycares?

I have had my daughter in the same daycare since she was about 5 months old. The first thing I don't really care for is that they more just watch the kids and don't really tech and work with them. Lately I have also noticed that they have so many little babys that it seems hard for them to give her much attention.

I went to look at another daycare with my sister and it is very nice (education based) and they watch the number of little infants that are enrolled so all kids get the time they need. She actually wouldn't take my sisters daughter on Wednesdays because of this.

She has been going through stranger danger very bad lately, and she just started not crying when I leave her in the Morning. So I would be starting that process all over again. What would you do?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Should I Change daycares?

• One of the things that I have always really liked about my home daycare was that she only takes in 2 babies at one time who are 12 months and younger. From about 5 months until he was 9 months, my son was the only baby (the next oldest being 2 years old). That said, I have always felt confident with him being there because I knew that he got all the attention that he needed and deserved. If I started to feel like my child has the possibility of his needs being neglected, then I would consider changing daycares. Change can be hard for kids, but if I knew that it was better for their well being then we would move to a different daycare. It might be rough for a week or two, but then your little one will get back into a routine and will be fine. 

Maybe before looking at leaving you could address your concerns with the daycare provider---at least give them a chance to address your concerns. Maybe there are changes they could make to make you feel better about having your daughter there. 

Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • it is a small center daycare, the ratio has to be 4;1. they follow the ratio (on the rare occasion they don't).but most of the time the rest of the babies are very young, not even crawling.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • She is still in the infant room at the current daycare and will remain there until 18 months. At the new daycare She would move up at 15 months and they start doing the circle time and stations.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • IMO - if your LO has separation anxiety, there needs to be someone with her during the day whom she can feel safe with/bonded to, and whom she can get comfort from if she feels scared, etc.  This can definitely be a daycare worker!  DD has separation anxiety, but she has really bonded to two of her daycare workers (ratio is 3:1 in the infant room) and gets lots of cuddles and loves from them throughout the day. She cries if they aren't there in the room with her.

If I didn't feel this were the case, I'd switch daycares in a second.  Sounds like your gut is telling you you should consider a change.  I'd at least look into it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think if you don't feel like it's the best for your LO then you should explore new options. If you confront the provider/s will they be upset with what you are saying and take it out on your LO. I guess I feel like they do what they do and are not going to change because you want them to. Your daughter will adjust, it will just take time but in the long run it will be better for her.

DS is in an in-home d/c and she only takes one child under the age of one at a time. So DS is the youngest and she has a 22 month old and two 3 year olds. She is gaining a newborn this summer, not sure how DS is going to handle that...but I know he will adjust!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Go with your gut. IME that's very important. My ds was in a couple bad daycares before I finally found a good one.

With dd I found "the one" then took too long to make a final decision and had to wait a few more months to get her in but I'm so glad I did. Leaving your child somewhere you're comfortable with is priceless.

That being said, I don't think my 13 month old would benefit from stations or anything too structured. At dc they sing songs and read books but it's mostly just learning skills, like social interactions with peers or encouraging walking and talking or explaining what things are as kids are interested in it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"