Toddlers: 24 Months+

Help with potty seat recs?

So we are behind the ball probably but DS is still not ready to potty train but am going to get a potty chair to get him used to it. I have no idea what to get. Do I get a potty chair and a seat for the toilet and have one for both the downstairs and upstairs? Recommendations of what brands? I saw baby bjorn gets really good reviews and need one that is good for boys. Also, do I train him to go standing up right away or sit down at first? I already have anxiety about training him standing up and him peeing everywhere. I grew up with 2 sisters so this is going to be interesting!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Help with potty seat recs?

• I dislike the little potty chairs because the point of potty training is so that I don't have to clean up poop anymore.  Why get one of those things, if you're just going to have to dump it out and clean it.  Blech.

So we have the Arm & Hammer seat that goes on the regular toilet, and it's been working just fine. 

Also, I believe in not creating extra hurdles or transitions for my kids, so I didn't want DD to potty train on one of those seats and then have to transition to using the regular toilet, so we started her right off on the toilet, albeit with a seat her size.

I have a girl, so I am absolutely no help with boy advice.  Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used a potty seat that goes on the toilet instead of a separate potty chair.  They made need more help at the beginning getting up and down but then the transition to regular potty is sort of done for you.  

We have two of these.  One on each floor and we also take one with us when we go to someones house or something.

I think most people train boys sitting down but I also have a girl so I don't know what's best.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Like @SusieBW we got a toilet ring instead of a potty seat.  I really didn't want to clean up the seat, I didn't want to have to train him to use the toilet instead of the seat, and he was already watching us use the actual toilet.  We have the Baby Bjorn and so far so good.

Like you, we're not rushing to potty train, so the toilet ring is on the toilet, but we don't actively force him to sit on it.  We offer and suggest he can use it, but so far he is only consistently interested before bath time.  We've started him peeing sitting down, but he knows daddy stands up, and if he wants, he can too.  He hasn't got the whole coordination thing down with holding/aiming/etc. yet, so usually he prefers to sit.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sschwegesschwege member
    edited January 2014
    We have both a stand alone and one that goes on the big potty.  The little potty is by Fisher Price it's a little frog potty.  The adapter is the Baby Bijorn one.  I like them both, the Fisher Price one is very basic and easy to clean.  The Baby Bijorn one is great because it fits snugly to the seat, DD became scared at her Grandparents' house because their adapter seat slides around.  We also have the Potette which is a folding potty that you can put at the bottom of the stroller or in the car, that has been a life saver let me tell you!  Though you have a boy so perhaps not quite as crucial.  

As for what DD prefers she likes her stand alone potty better though she will use either.  I like that she can get on and off the potty independently with it.  Plus it was great for when we were potty training because I could put it wherever we were (important when you are EBFing a 4 month old).  I know moving the potty is kind of frowned upon by some methods of PTing, but it worked for us and DD didn't have any trouble when we moved the potty back to the bathroom. 
  • EcyEcy member
    My DD uses the Baby Bjorn potty seat that goes directly on top of our toilet. She also has a stool to help her get on & off the potty, which she finds fun. She's been pretty great about PT on her own and I haven't done too many incentives for her to do it. At her DC, the teacher uses a stamp reward system and she does love showing me how many stamps she has at the end of the day. My niece wasn't interested in PT at all. She will be 3 in early March. But now her mother has a jar of M&M's and she gets one every time she uses the potty. It's working for her.
  • We got a seat that fits on the toilet.  DS loves it because it has cars on it and it came with a little stool too.  I didn't want a separate chair to have to clean all the time and I wanted him to get used to the flushing.

He uses a small potty chair and a small toddler sized toilet at daycare.

We also use these!  We have one for each bathroom and one for Nana's house, too.  I love that I can sanitize them by taking them apart.  Also, the splash guard is the only one that worked for our guy.  All of the other seats/chairs we used, he'd get pee everywhere -_-
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"