Trouble TTC
Options

I might finally be able to get tested!!

I won't be able to reach DH for a couple of hours and I had to share the good news with someone.  After months of waiting and frustration and not being able to do ANYTHING, even diagnose the cause of my fertility, I finally found a way to get tested!!

We started TTC in October 2012.  I have a number of PCOS symptoms so after 6 unsuccessful months (and 3 months of charting without being able to confirm ovulation) I decided to talk to a GYN.  She sent me for an ultrasound which showed multiple follicles.  Unfortunately she was a horrible insensitive lady, so at our follow up she basically said "You probably have PCOS and you don't ovulate and that's why you can't get pregnant, I'll put you on Clomid" and then walked out of the room and ended the appointment after 5 minutes.  She didn't answer any of my questions or give me any support emotionally.  Thank God I knew enough from this board to not just jump into Clomid, so I found a new GYN.  Of course, that takes time, and by the time I could get in with someone I was about to go away for the whole summer and then move out of the country for a year... Not to mention my insurance was ending in about a week.  So I decided to postpone testing (big mistake).

In September we moved to Israel temporarily (we're here until May).  I knew that the student insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions, but I expected to pay extra for a plan that would cover fertility testing and treatment.  Unfortunately, when we went to sign up for insurance we were told there is no such plan and we would have to pay out-of-pocket for anything fertility related.  We have no work visas here and are paying all our rent and expenses from our meager savings, so this is a tough year to be fronting those sort of costs.  Still, I tried to set up appointments, but the system here is different and I couldn't work out how to navigate it.  I would call a gynecology department, who would transfer me to the fertility clinic, who would transfer me back to gyn, over and over again.

Thus started like 3 months of complete denial.  I basically ignored the fact that I am infertile and pretended it wasn't happening.  I stopped trying to schedule appointments.  I decided I would get tested next summer when I go back to the states.  I stopped charting.  I think that honestly I was using the money and the fact that we're in a foreign country as excuses to postpone testing, because I'm so terrified that testing will discover even more problems.  I didn't want to deal with the guilt and the shame that it's my fault, I'm the one with the problem, I'm not a "real" woman and my body doesn't do what women's bodies were created to do.

My husband finally approached me and told me how hard my denial is on him.  He told me that the inactivity, the waiting without working towards any sort of solution, was killing him.  I realized how selfish I had been and that it was finally time to get my head back into the game.  Not only did I start charting again, but I took a HUGE step and contacted a few people here who I thought might have resources - including a relative who happens to be a midwife, the first person from my family who I have told.  Unfortunately, although they all responded incredibly thoughtfully, none of them had any real answers for me.  My midwife relative contacted multiple people but told me that none would take me without an insurance plan.  My mentor-of-sorts did send me the name of a doctor she knew, but I assumed he would have the same answer.  I thought I had taken this step, bared my soul to all these people, and nothing was going to come from it.  I was now back to thinking about fertility constantly, but without the ability to do anything other than wait.

Today, I sent that doctor an email asking him if he had any ideas for me to access care.  He just wrote back - 15 minutes later! - to tell me that if I come to see him he can bill everything as a "general gyn consultation" rather than infertility, which would no longer be considered a pre-existing condition.  He thinks I can get 80% of costs covered!!  I am SO EXCITED to feel like I can finally do something.  This board is amazing for support and information but it's been very difficult seeing everyone else in the midst of their treatment when I don't even have a full diagnosis.  I feel like new life has been breathed into me.  Maybe, just maybe, I can get somewhere!

Thanks for all who read this whole rant... I'm sure it was quite boring for you, but I just needed to share and get it out of my system.  Have a great day!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
image image
TTC since October 2012
Me:  Ovulatory dysfunction, hypothyroid.  DH:  Normal!
Treatment:  Levothyroxine for thyroid; starting Clomid early 2015.
PAIF/SAIF All Welcome!

Re: I might finally be able to get tested!!

• Options
    Good luck! Hopefully you and DH can find a happy middle and get some if those costs covered. Good luck on building your family :)
  • Options
    That is great you have a plan now for testing!!! It's really such a relief to feel like there is a plan for moving forward. Good luck!

Me: 32  DH: 33  Married: March 2004

July 2006: started TTC
    2008: HSG (normal), couple rounds of clomid through gyno
    2008 - 2010: dragging my feet out of fear and procrastination
    October 2010: first consultation with RE, dx PCOS and fibroids (DH slightly low count/motility)
    Oct. 2010 - Dec. 2012:  In DENIAL! avoided the issue because I was scared of surgery
    January 2013: returned to RE, fibroids grew significantly
    February 2013: second HSG, fibroids pushed on tubes which blocked them somewhat
    March 2013: MRI to determine what type of surgery may be necessary

July 29, 2013: fibroids (5) removed via robotic laparascopy
    August 2013 - Nov 2013 : benched due to recent surgery

IUI #1, Dec. 24, 2013, BFN 
    IUI #2, Jan. 25, 2014, BFN
    IUI #3, Feb. 25, 2014  BFN
    IUI #4 canceled due to lack of response to letrozole
    IUI #4.1 April 28, 2014, BFN

May 16, 2014: wtf consult, start prepping for IVF in June and add injects for one last IUI in the meantime
    IUI #5 started letrozole and bravelle but canceled after HSG led to new diagnosis

May 21, 2014: third HSG, tubes blocked, one at the beginning, one hydrosalpinx??
    June 11, 2014: consult, approved to move on to IVF because the hydro is not completely blocked therefore allowing fluid to move through slowly rather than backwards
    IVF #1 August 8, 2014 - 3dt of 2 embryos, BFN
    September 17, 2014 - 4th HSG, the right tube is very patent (open!!) dye went straight through this time. Weird!
    October 2, 2014 - started metformin treatment
    November 14, 2014 - blood work, brought A1C down from 5.8 to 5.5

November 26, 2014 - RE finally back from vaca and reviewed my chart, no more IVFs for rest of calendar year
    December 1, 2014 - Right after Thanksgiving, I called a new clinic and got in right away! Plan for IVF
    December 17, 2014 - ER! 29 retrieved (!!), 16 mature, all 16 fertilized (ICSI)

IVF #2 December 20, 2014 - 3dt of 3 embryos, BFN

We are done with treatment unsuccessfully. :(

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

image    image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Awesome news!!
    10/2013 - Initial consult. Started levothyroxine - tsh 2.92
    HSG- showed graying in one spot/Saline Sono- showed 5mm polyp
    DH SA -  abnormal -  36%motility on both SA's (count and morph ok on SA1, a little off SA2)
    1/10/14 - Hysteroscopy to remove 5mm polyp
    1/12/14- Medicated Cycle 1: 50mg Clomid + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
    2/15/14 - Medicated Cycle 2: 100mg Clomid + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
    3/18/14 - IUI Cycle 1: 150mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    Upped Levothyroxine to 50mg - tested at 2.62
    4/17/14 - IUI Cycle 2: 150mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    Break!
    6/21/14: IUI Cycle 3: 150mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI

*All are welcome*

• Options
    Not boring at all, good luck!!! I hope everything works out :)
  • Options
    Great news! It's always nice to have a plan moving forward. Hopefully you can find a way to get some of the costs covered. Good luck!

*****Siggy Warning*****

Toby        image

Me:28 DH:28
    TTC #1 since Nov '12
    DX: Non-IR PCOS & Hypothyroidism 
    BFP: 11/7/13 EDD: 7/18/14 Ectopic Tubal Surgery 12/18 
    2/5 HSG all clear!
    Femara 5mg + Trigger + IUI #1- 5 = BFN
    IVF #1 - 17R 15M 11F - Transferred 1 beautiful hatching blast on 9/26    4 Frosties
    Beta (10dp5dt) = 166  Beta #2 (12dp5dt) = 284  Beta #3 (14dp5dt) = 471  Beta #4 (18dp5dt) = 2032
    EDD: 6/14/15
    ~All are welcome~

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"