Preemies
Options

Lets talk vitamins!

First, today is my due date and tomorrow is Jacob's 3 months birthday! Time has flown by and each and every day he proves to me how much of a miracle he is!

We were discharged from the NICU two weeks ago at 6 pounds and 1 ounce. The next day we had an appointment with his pedi who recommended that Jacob take multivitamins (he took them in the NICU as well). He's been on them for two weeks but I notice he spits up a bit and gets fussy when I give it to him. He's weighing 8 pounds (which in my humble opinion is amazing weight gain in two weeks). I guess my question is, should I continue him on the vitamins when they are clearly causing him some pain? Are all of your preemies taking vitamins?

Re: Lets talk vitamins!

• Options
    My DD has taken PolyViSol since she was in the NICU. It doesn't cause her any tummy troubles, though. Is he FF or BF? We were able to stop iron supplements because DD gets half formula and half BM due to my low supply. I'm not sure if the multivitamin is necessary for exclusively formula fed babies, but ask your pedi either way.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    Sorry, forgot to add he's ff only. I'm going to bring it up at his appointment next week and see if we can stop. The polyvisol he's taking is with iron. I think it's causing his tummy troubles and constipation as well. He went from pooping a few times a day to once every 36 hours.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My girls are on polyvisol with iron too, and it gives them exactly the same stomach troubles. I actually stopped giving it to them, but their pedi says the iron is really important for preemie neurological development, so they are back on it. I hate the stuff and would love to not give it to them. Ugh.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • Options
    Have you tried breaking it up among 2 bottles in the morning? So, instead of doing it all at once, you could maybe break it up in about 3 hours or so between bottles? 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • Options
    My girls had the same problem. For several months we have half in the morning and half in the evening. They tolerated that without any issues. They just turned 5 months actual and are able to tolerate the full 1ml at one time.
  • Options
    I would def continue to give them unless/until the pedi directs otherwise. Our LO has been on polyvisol since he was just a few days old and still is, even though he's exclusively ff now. It's common for preemies to be anemic and our LO was. We haven't had him checked in awhile but I was just told to continue the vitamins. How much milk are you mixing them with?

Yay for the weight gain!!!! Thats awesome.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Options
    Also, are they different from the vitamins they gave him in the nicu? Did they cause trouble then?

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Options
    I didn't check what he got in the NICU. I checked on amazon and don't see any other children's vitamin, only thr smelly polyvisol. He was anemic and needed 4 transfusions while in the NICU. I know these vitamins are probably really good for him but I just hate seeing him in pain. I was hoping for most of you to respond that you don't do vitamins and they weren't necessary but I guess that's not the case. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    conradtnconradtn member
    edited January 2014
    LO is also on the polyvisol.  She gets .5 ml in the morning and .5ml at night.  I mix it with 1 oz of formula in a little feeder bottle and then she gets the rest of her formula in a regular bottle.  That is how they did it in the NICU and we've continued it ever since.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Married Sept 2008
    ~~TTC Nov 2010~~

IUI #2: 1/21/13-100mg Clomid(CD3-7)(8M post wash) + progesterone= BFP!! EDD 10/13/13
    Beta #1=81.1 Beta #2=134.5 Beta #3=58.1 #4=2369 WTH?!-Not sure if its viable
    2/21/13 - Went to RE expecting the worse and saw the flutter of the heart.To God be the Glory!!

5/29 - It's a Girl!!
    8/21/13 - Naomi born at 32w3d by csection due to Pre-E
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~ 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    imagephoto A789AD50-EAFE-4955-A617-02358EF02DBE_zpsbxkk1n87.jpg
    My Wonder Woman!

• Options
    We also speculated the vitamin bottles made our girls a little more likely to spit up when they were younger, but were never sure if it was just the time of giving the vitamin (the morning) -- and they might have been more reflux-y then, anyway? Who knows.

Regardless, we've been giving them the Poly Vi Sol with Iron as long as I can remember. A little reflux and discomfort is probably okay -- now the girls could care less if it's in their bottles. ;)
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My DD has been on polyvisol without iron since nicu. When I feed her (FF) I make one ounce, put her dose in and let her drink that, then gI've her the rest of her feeding to make sure she gets all the vitamin. Nurse at nicu told us always put it in the bottle.
    TTC Since 112010 Naturally. Diagnose:PCOS(ME) + Low Motility(HIM). Started IVF+ICSI Cycle 12312. ER 27 & ET 210 two embies transferred. *BFN 1ST IVF CYCLE.* **Getting as healthy as possible and will try IVFICSI#2 again hopefully in April.** -- HAVE FAITH; LET GO & LET GOD --
  • Options
    We bought DS the polyvisol without iron and just added it to his formula instead of giving it to him separately which seemed to help. I agree that your LO had amazing weight gain-that's awesome!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"