Special Needs

ASD and ADD?

My DD (5) was diagnosed w/ ASD at 3.5 and is now in the process of being evaluated for ADD as well. In my heart I feel that she does have an attention issue so I'm expecting to get that diagnosis as well but I'm concerned about the best way to treat the ADD. She is in a SN pre-k class full time where she gets ST and OT. I've been looking up ADD treatment online and I keep reading about using meds for treatment but I'm a little scared. Do any of you have experience with both ASD/ADD? If so what are your thoughts on meds vs alternative treatments in young children?
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ASD and ADD?

• Thank you both for your responses. The challenge I'm having is that she doesn't have any of the hyperactivity, it's much more an issue of needing constant redirection, staring off into space during activities she's not as interested in, having difficulty following multi-step directions etc, yet everything I'm reading online seems to highlight the hyperactivity issues. I think there's a good chance she will be mainstreamed by 1st grade but not sure yet about kindie (she starts next fall). I'm leaning towards starting with diet and behavior mods and seeing where we are after that.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you both for your responses. The challenge I'm having is that she doesn't have any of the hyperactivity, it's much more an issue of needing constant redirection, staring off into space during activities she's not as interested in, having difficulty following multi-step directions etc, yet everything I'm reading online seems to highlight the hyperactivity issues. I think there's a good chance she will be mainstreamed by 1st grade but not sure yet about kindie (she starts next fall). I'm leaning towards starting with diet and behavior mods and seeing where we are after that.
    My older DD doesn't have ASD, but she does have ADHD inattentive-type.  She's in mainstream kindie, and we put behavior mods in place a couple of months ago: positive behavior plan, preferential seating, additional prompts, and additional time to complete work.  DH and I also made up a couple of little poems to help her remember the morning routine at school (she was forgetting to turn in her folders and return her library books).  So far so good.  Given that she's not disruptive or impulsive, I think she's too young for meds right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"