Natural Birth
Options

Birth Center Insurance Coverage

Hello!  My new insurance kicks in on Feb 1st and I have already determined with BCBS that a Birth center birth is not covered under my plan.  If I have to pay out of pocket so be it as it would still be cheaper for me than paying for a hospital birth with my insurance.  However I have been doing research and have seen that it might be possible to petition the insurance company to cover it as it will be cheaper for them or to maybe purchase a gap insurance.  My question is, has anyone had this issue and did the insurance company decide to cover it?  What sort of steps did you take?  TIA!

Re: Birth Center Insurance Coverage

• Options
    First of all, have you spoken to the insurance company regarding your specific plan and birth center? I have BCBS and my birth center birth was covered, but that varies state by state and policy by policy.

Second, I would talk to your birth center. Often, their financial coordinator will get in touch with your insurance company to verify what is covered and/or petition for coverage. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @KrisM86, the BC will run my insurance once it kicks in and their financial person will let me know what is covered, get me on a payment plan, etc.  I have spoken with BCBS and they have verified it will not be covered under my plan.  I will probably just have to wait until the first and see what sort of direction the BC can point me in.  Thanks for the response!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My birth center said they are usually not covered, but there is a code to use to get it covered...so most of them have tricks of the trade to get it done. Some insurances though, like TRICARE (military) absolutely do not.

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"