February 2014 Moms
Options

Out of Office Message

I still have at least two weeks left of work but I am curious about other working moms "out of office" messages.

What have others done in the past or what are you planning to do?

Is it better to be vague? - "I'm out of the office on extended leave. If you need assistance please contact ______."

Or give more information? - reason I'm out, when I will return, that I will be checking emails intermittently, etc.

I'm leaning towards a vague approach, everyone I work closely with knows the situation. And I'm not sure I want to put personal business on blast for any random person to see. Thoughts??

Re: Out of Office Message

• Options
    I'm not in this situation, but I don't think I'd commit myself to checking emails every so often. Even though you might, you don't want people to expect an answer. I think vague is better, and I think contact info for someone else is fantastic. What have others in your company done? Does your boss have an opinion?
    I wouldn't commit to this either.  When I am gone, per company policy I am not permitted to work, I will technically be a suspended employee, so anything I say or do won't have company support.  I would make sure, if you are going to still occasionally work, that you don't have a similar situation going.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

What have others in your company done? Does your boss have an opinion?

I'm not sure about others in my office - I'm fairly new and the last person to take maternity leave has kids that are in their teens now. Not sure if my boss has a preference, I honestly don't even know of this is something she would ever put any thought into!
  • Options
    Mine says I'm on maternity leave, no end date specified, my box will not be monitored, and please redirect your message to the appropriate person below.

I like saying maternity leave, because they know it's a long time and that someone would be taking my responsibilities during that time. But I also only get messages from internal people, so I wouldn't be broadcasting that to many people.

So ready to make that my message!
    Me: 25 DH: 26 First-time Mom EDD 2/2/2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    From May 18, 2013
  • Options
    Great post!! I've been wondering the same thing. Today is my last day at the office and I've got to get everything wraped up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thursday is my last day. Our work emails "disappear" after 30 days so I need to make sure folks aren't just waiting for me to reply when I get back. Here's my OOF message:

Thank you for your message. I am currently out of the office and will return in May 2014. During my absence, my emails will not be returned nor retained. 

Please contact the XXXXX Department at PHONE NUMBER for assistance. You may also email SOMEONE for SUCH AND SUCH matters and SOMEONE ELSE for SUCH AND SUCH inquiries.

Thank you,

I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Options
    My company actually removed security access from employees on disability so I didn't need to set up an out of office. But I am a bit sad that my girl scout cookies were delivered to my desk the day I had LO.

• Options
    notreal2 said:

I'm not in this situation, but I don't think I'd commit myself to checking emails every so often. Even though you might, you don't want people to expect an answer. I think vague is better, and I think contact info for someone else is fantastic. What have others in your company done? Does your boss have an opinion?
    I wouldn't commit to this either.  When I am gone, per company policy I am not permitted to work, I will technically be a suspended employee, so anything I say or do won't have company support.  I would make sure, if you are going to still occasionally work, that you don't have a similar situation going.

I am permitted to work - and by "work" I mean check in on projects and things I have that other people will be overseeing in my absence.

I will not commit to answering emails just because, as I mentioned earlier, everyone who needs to know the situation already knows and I will be in touch with them over the course of my leve. It's not necessary for random people to know I may or may not answer their emails.
  • Options
    Stophoney said:

My company actually removed security access from employees on disability so I didn't need to set up an out of office. But I am a bit sad that my girl scout cookies were delivered to my desk the day I had LO.

You just reminded me that I put in an order for Girl Scout cookies as well! I better get those boxes before LO comes!!
  • Options
    Here's what mine is set up to say. 

Thank you for your email. I am out of the office for maternity leave. If you need assistance before my return March 17th, you may contact xxxxx.

imageimage

• Options
    Mine says that I'm out of the office on maternity leave, will return on X date and to contact my boss while I'm out.
  • Options
    I plan to change my messages to say something like "I will be out of the office until April 2014, etc" Since I get inquires from the general public I don't want to say maternity leave since it's none of their business where I am or what I'm doing, and people who interact with me frequently know I'm pg and will put two and two together.

imageimage
  • Options
    clozgobluclozgoblu member
    edited January 2014
    I no longer work in an office setting where this is a factor, but I'd always prefer the vague approach. No one needs to know why you're out. You might consider being a little more specific about your availability, though -- e.g., "...and will not be checking email/voicemail," "will only check email/voicemail occasionally," etc. 

I can't remember where I read this (J14 maybe), but another poster said she preferred to say "maternity leave" because it implies that you really won't be available. To me, that just doesn't seem necessary. "Out of the office," "extended leave," "unavailable" all imply the same thing.

Agree with the vague approach, with enough specifics to understand that you're unreachable (or how limited your interaction will be). My leave starts next Monday, I scheduled my OOO today to say:

I am away on leave beginning x day and ending June 2014. I will not have have access to bank systems (voice or email) during that time. Please contact person 1 or person 2 in my absence. Their contact information is included below.

Kind Regards,

Me

Person 1 contact info

Person 2 contact info

• Options
    I agree with PPs.  Vague is good, but note if you intend on checking messages etc.  I will include my expected return date in my email but not on my voicemail. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"