Stay at Home Moms

Disney question...

Has anybody been since they started the FastPass+ thing? Or the MagicBands? As horrible as people say or are they overreacting?

Re: Disney question...

• alexio06alexio06 member
    edited January 2014
    We went over thanksgiving weekend and had magic bands. We had no problems at all. We didn't use fast pass + bc we had one old ticket and it wouldn't show it. When I tried thought it worked for our other two tickets and seemed easy enough.

ETA we did use some regular fast passes though and no problems. Also, even though the weekend we went is really crowded lines weren't terrible. One day we hardly waited in line for more than a minute or two on anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were lucky in November, we had the magic bands with 3 fast passes.  Also, when checking in, we got regular key to the world cards which allowed us additional fast passes.  I scheduled our fast pass plus for afternoons and evenings.  In the morning and late evening, lines weren't an issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • @lalamama81 I tend to this the DisBoards have a big "sky is falling" complex about the whole change. Nobody likes change, but wow. I actually think this will be perfect for us, especially this trip where the baby can't ride the big stuff, so we'll be doing more of the shows, little rides, etc. and then hitting the favorites will be easier since we can schedule them AND don't have to run all over the park to do it.

@letranger looking forward to hearing what Amy has to say...
  • All of the old fast pass machines are gone, so you can't to both. Yea, the disboards does tend to freak out about this stuff. Ive been lurking as I plan and it's funny what they get worked up about. I think their podcast has an episode about magic bands.
    Yeah, the whole first page of the strategies board is bitching about FP+. Very helpful.
  • Haven't been with FP+ yet but I think like with anything it will take awhile for people to adjust to new procedures.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All of the old fast pass machines are gone, so you can't to both. Yea, the disboards does tend to freak out about this stuff. Ive been lurking as I plan and it's funny what they get worked up about. I think their podcast has an episode about magic bands.
    I think we were just lucky that it was transitioning still.  We really didn't need additional fast passes with the low crowds.  I enjoyed lurking on the Dis boards for ideas, but some of the people were a bit over the top.
  • I think it depends on what you are used to.  If you are used to getting 6-7 fastpasses as day, then being limited to 3 would be hard.  

If you only get around 3 anyways, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal.  

Personally, I don't like the idea of fastpass + and I wish they would have invested that money into new attractions, but we will deal with it.  I certainly wouldn't cancel a trip over it like some of the people on the Disboards are saying.  By the time we get out there again, they might have changed things anyways.  

• Disneygeek77Disneygeek77 member
    edited January 2014
    @KateMW- check out https://www.easywdw.com/ 

The format might be a little hard to read at first, but the author has some great tips on using Fastpass+ at the parks.

Another site I like is https://wdwprepschool.com/
  • @KateMW you should be able to benefit with the Rider Swap with the baby.  Your DD will get to ride twice for all the big rides.
  • Holy crap.  It's been years since I've been to Disney.  We are thinking of going over the summer and this all sounds so complicated.  Vacation is supposed to be easy.  People just don't show up and wait in lines anymore?  Crazy talk, I better start researching.  
  • @KateMW you should be able to benefit with the Rider Swap with the baby.  Your DD will get to ride twice for all the big rides.
    I hope so, but I think it's also changed with the FP+
  • MamaKct said:
    Holy crap.  It's been years since I've been to Disney.  We are thinking of going over the summer and this all sounds so complicated.  Vacation is supposed to be easy.  People just don't show up and wait in lines anymore?  Crazy talk, I better start researching.  
    I mean, you can do that…but it can be disappointing. I mean, if you were planning a trip to Paris you wouldn't just show up, you know? 

But, there are plenty of people here who have lots of tips & websites. And the planning can be fun, too! 
    I totally hear you on that and will do the research like I said.  I just can't believe how much there is to actually plan in advance.  Rides and meals would never have occurred to me, that is why I read the Disney questions on here and check out the resources others suggest.  
  • hmm, I have heard that it hasn't changed.  Your DH and DD should be able to ride (using FP+) while you get the rider swap pass, then you and your DD can go again (no FP+ needed). At least this is what Disboards has been saying. 
  • I haven't been there since the change but I have mixed feelings.  DH teases me for planning too much but really I tend to do a nice balance of planning what I need to and then leaving time for us to change things up as we go.  Obviously we always have reservations for table service meals and I have a general idea of what attractions we want to see first but I really don't want to schedule my entire day.  Our next vacation will be so different because it will be my first time taking DD and I have no idea how she will handle the parks, I would hate to schedule a fast pass for 2pm only to find out that DD really needs to nap at the hotel mid day.  I'm not all up in arms about it but I am skeptical.  

My sister went with a couple friends a few months ago when I believe it was in the trial phases and she gave it good reviews.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• alexio06 said:
    We went over thanksgiving weekend and had magic bands. We had no problems at all. We didn't use fast pass + bc we had one old ticket and it wouldn't show it. When I tried thought it worked for our other two tickets and seemed easy enough.

ETA we did use some regular fast passes though and no problems. Also, even though the weekend we went is really crowded lines weren't terrible. One day we hardly waited in line for more than a minute or two on anything.

Exactly this!!! Word for word!!! Where did you guys stay? So awesome all decorated for the holidays!!

• We just got back and used the FP+. I really liked it because we could change the time if we were running late, which with the old FP you had to use it or lose it. We also felt like 3 was plenty, we just picked the 3 with the longest wait times and then waited for the other ones. We only have a 3 year old so it worked well, it might be a little disappointing with older kids having to wait in more lines, though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"