December 2012 Moms

Big kid bed

I'm not sure what prompted the comment, but DH mentioned that we'll need a second crib, which got me thinking... When do you normally transition kids to big kid beds?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Big kid bed

• I did DS a couple months before he turned 3. I'm waiting until at least 2.5 for Milla. However, I've totally already picked her bed out.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • @Minervacullen ooo... Which one did you pick?

Assuming everything is okay, Isa will be 21 months. I'm thinking that'll be too early.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • We're planning on transitioning DD around 18-20 months or whenever DD2 is ready to move out of her bassinet. We're going to get her a twin that is low to the ground.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our crib turns into a bed, it even came with the toddler bed rail. DD prob won't use it though until 2- 2 1/2. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We did with dd1 at 18 months. Probably will do the same this time around :)

• Ughhhhhh! Wish we had Artvan in FL! Love that bed! I will be keeping DD in her crib and getting another one for the next LO. 21 months is too soon for me.

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love the first bed too. I'm thinking of asking my mom for the antique dresser that was in my room as a kid... It's sort of a honey oak. The green one might be cute with her pink walls. It might all go.

imageimage

• My feeling on the big kid bed, is if they are happy in there and not climbing out, keep them in the crib!  It is so much harder when they can get out and are wandering around - a whole new level of babyproofing is necessary since they could be roaming around while you are sleeping (such a scary thought in my opinion).  DS and DD#1 didn't move out of their cribs until age 3.  DD#1 is still in her crib but it has converted to a toddler bed.  
    My older 2 are 15 months apart, and we weren't sure how we were going to handle it.  Since the baby slept in our room for the first few months, we didn't do anything.  Then when DD was 3 months and DS was 18 months, it was clear to me that I had NO desire to move him out of the crib (I would put him in there while I was showering, or just as a place to contain him while I was changing DD, running to the bathroom, etc).  So we ordered a second one, and we had 2 cribs in use for about 18 months.  We moved DS out of his, then found out we were pregnant again with DD#2.  Now they are both in use again (with DD#1 in the converted toddler bed option).  Anyway, the second crib was definitely the most worthwhile purchase for my 2u2!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS we got him a toddler bed at 15months but he mainly slept in it for naps and he went into his full size bed at 2yrs old. We bed-shared prior to it so the transition was really easy as he was used to sleeping in our bed. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• You are going to find a wide range in answers on this one. It really depends on your kid and family.

DD1 moved to a big bed at about 18 months. This was due impart with her having bed shared with us and not liking her crib. We thought the transition to a bed might make it easier for her in the long run. I was pregnant with DD2 and I didn't want to do a full on transition to crib and then only a few months later transition her again when I wanted to use the crib for DD2. 

But if you kid does great in a crib and there is no need to change, ie new sibling or anything, I say leave them in until they get too big or decide to climb out.
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• My kids are 15 1/2 months apart.  My oldest never really liked the crib at all, so buying a second was NOT happening for me.  We put a twin bed on the floor for him at 14 months.  It hasn't been a problem but we do lay with him to sleep every night and have a video monitor so we can go to him if/when he wakes up in the night.  Around 2 though, he started just getting up and coming into our room at night to sleep when he wakes up.  All of this works for us, so we go with it.  I plan to work on transitioning my youngest to the floor bed in his room (shared room with brother) at around 18 months.  Until then, he goes to sleep in our one and only crib in the guest room, and comes to our bed at his first wake up (usually around 10/11) to sleep there for the night.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"