Working Moms
Options

Monday Morning Vents

Anyone?

@privacywanted - are you interested in taking over this thread? I find myself on the boards less as my work load has increased.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Monday Morning Vents

• Options
    My car needs work done, so I was going to take advantage of having several days off this week and get it taken care of, but now I have to find an electrician because we are without power in a couple of rooms in our house (including the kitchen..grrr) and sit home with him. Will probably have to spend a grand replacing our whole panel. :(

To top it off, school was closed at the last minute due to power outage so I have DS home all day and he'll inevitably want all my attention, including what I need to give to the electrician.

• Options
    DD got up at 5:15 this morning. We are both ready for naps....unfortunately she is the only one who gets one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started our taxes yesterday and we are not getting anywhere near as much money back as I had thought. Turns out we make too much money, so why do I feel so poor? Where is the tax benefit to being married??? Because I'm pretty sure we are in a much higher tax bracket together.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got to the train station this morning to find that my train was delayed by 15-20 mins.  Fine.  Typically when that happens, they can make up the time and we wind up only 5 mins late.  So I'm waiting, waiting... and a new update comes out... the train left the first station 20 mins late, and then broke down 5 mins later.  No estimate as to when it will be up and running again.  By this time, I had 30 mins to get to work, and driving would have taken well over an hour.  So I went home.  At least I can work from here, but I have a TON of meeting tomorrow.

DD1's preschool teacher is incredibly disorganized.  She sent an email LAST NIGHT announcing that Tuesday is "Special Persons" day, and that each student can bring in 2 "Special People" for the first hour of school.  DD1 usually doesn't go to school on Tuesdays, but they're encouraging all of the kids to come with their "Special People".  Well, dammit, I can't go.  And DH is on a business trip 3000 miles away.  Perhaps if I'd had more than 36 hours notice, I might have been able to swing something!  This notice came along with a list of special activities all this week, like "Sports Fan" day and "crazy hat" day.  So I'm scrambling to get everything done so that she's not left out, all while DH is gone until late Thursday night.

Ugh.
  • Options
    We are moving out of our house this weekend, but it is currently on the market.  This means having it "show" ready all the time in addition to trying to pack.  Yesterday I basically had a complete emotional breakdown, which I never do.  I think the stress of packing and moving along with work being busy just finally got to me.  It felt good to let off the steam, but I had a raging migraine last night because of it.

On top of that, whenever the baby wakes up to eat, she goes right back to sleep and I lay in bed with a never ending to do list running through my head.  This leads to a crappy night's sleep which affects my ability to deal with everything else.

I just want to fast forward through this week and be moved and settled. 
  • Options

1) DH came down with the stomach flu on saturday morning so we had to have my parents come and get DS so he didnt catch it and could play nurse (i was queasy all day saturday and knew if i had to take care of DS and DH i would wind up with it as well), so of course our weekend was incredibly unproductive. This comes after DH having a 1 week stay in the hospital 2 weeks ago for a staph infection in his face. The poor guy cant get a break! Hopefully it is healthy, smooth sailing for the rest of the year (and 2015 as well!).

2) This morning I was distracted and didnt notice that the bus was full when I got on so there were no seats. I was too embarrassed to ask for a seat since I wasnt paying attention so was stuck standing the entire commute in. Normally, not a biggie, but at 36 weeks pregnant with my massive bag and heavy coat, it wasnt exactly pleasent!

• Options
    I started our taxes yesterday and we are not getting anywhere near as much money back as I had thought. Turns out we make too much money, so why do I feel so poor? Where is the tax benefit to being married??? Because I'm pretty sure we are in a much higher tax bracket together.
    Yeah, the marriage penalty exists, especially if both members work and make similar and middle income or higher wages. The only benefits that exist for married couples appear if only one works or their incomes are in very separate tax brackets. Having a kid adds back some benefit, but kids cost so much more than the tax break :P.
  • Options

1) DH came down with the stomach flu on saturday morning so we had to have my parents come and get DS so he didnt catch it and could play nurse (i was queasy all day saturday and knew if i had to take care of DS and DH i would wind up with it as well), so of course our weekend was incredibly unproductive. This comes after DH having a 1 week stay in the hospital 2 weeks ago for a staph infection in his face. The poor guy cant get a break! Hopefully it is healthy, smooth sailing for the rest of the year (and 2015 as well!).

2) This morning I was distracted and didnt notice that the bus was full when I got on so there were no seats. I was too embarrassed to ask for a seat since I wasnt paying attention so was stuck standing the entire commute in. Normally, not a biggie, but at 36 weeks pregnant with my massive bag and heavy coat, it wasnt exactly pleasent!

We've had a similar start to 2014 (2 ER visits, overnight hospital stay and ambulance ride for DS, emergency surgery for the dog, Bell's Palsy for me). Praying yours gets better too!

Also, what is wrong with people that they didn't get up to offer you a seat on the bus?! I would have gotten up and given you my seat.
  • Options
    jennyelf said:

jf198400 said:

Yeah, the marriage penalty exists, especially if both members work and make similar and middle income or higher wages. The only benefits that exist for married couples appear if only one works or their incomes are in very separate tax brackets. Having a kid adds back some benefit, but kids cost so much more than the tax break :P.
    Yea the child care tax credit is laughable. With our income we got a whopping $200 credit when we spent over $26,000 on daycare last year.

Is there a benefit to filing married filing separate as opposed to joint? I just can't believe how high our taxes are. Although it makes SAH more of a possibility for me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    jf198400 said:
    @jf198400 - We hit this point last year.  It's really depressing how much we actually get to live on after taxes and health insurance premiums are deducted.  DH and I aren't planning on a tax refund this year. 
  • Options

So I told my family over the weekend that I was pregnant with #2. My Mom goes congratulations! And then "how are you going to manage?" DS and LO will be 23 months apart which she thinks "is too close". The she asks if the doctor confirmed I was pregnant! I don't think she meant it in a "I am hoping you are not pregnant" way more that she was processing the information.

In her defense, she comes from a culture where it is common to have live in help when you have a baby and husbands are very hands off so I don't think she quite understands how we do it all on our own. :)

You would think that with me turning 35 this year, she would understand why we started on #2 ASAP.

• Options
    jf198400 said:
    Yea the child care tax credit is laughable. With our income we got a whopping $200 credit when we spent over $26,000 on daycare last year. Is there a benefit to filing married filing separate as opposed to joint? I just can't believe how high our taxes are. Although it makes SAH more of a possibility for me.
    IIRC Filing separate is only beneficial if one person has a lot of medical expenses or some other deductible expense, otherwise, if the couple each make the same amount then the result is about the same and if the couple makes really disparate amounts, then it works negatively.
    Yeah, the tax brackets for married people suck if both work.
  • Options
    I have a huge zit on my chin.  I am 31 years old and sick of getting pimples!

• Options
    I am struggling to feel good in my new job.  I feel like I do everything wrong or not thorough enough.  I feel I need to find a way out of Corp America soon, but am trapped.

I'm so sick of the weather.  We are all home together again because daycare is closed.  At this rate I want a discount in February since we have to keep them home 6 extra days this month due to cold or teacher training on other days.  

• Options

We've had a similar start to 2014 (2 ER visits, overnight hospital stay and ambulance ride for DS, emergency surgery for the dog, Bell's Palsy for me). Praying yours gets better too!

Also, what is wrong with people that they didn't get up to offer you a seat on the bus?! I would have gotten up and given you my seat.

Ugh. Sorry that you are dealing with health stuff too! Its the pits.

You would honestly be surprised at how many times people DONT get up. A lot of times they are too busy with their nose in their phones/books/whatever to even notice what is going on around them. If someone had given me flack for bumping them with my bag I would have unbuttoned by coat and thursted my belly at them. But alas, no one did. However, I fully count my having to stand my entire commute as my work out for the day.

• Options
    Our dishwasher is on the fritz and won't turn on.  We have the extended warranty package (it is less than 2 years old and was not a cheap dishwasher - grr) so we called, and the soonest they can send someone out to look at it is next Monday.  Blah.  So many dishes to wash.

I was sick all day yesterday with a stomach bug and am still not 100% today.  Fingers double and triple crossed that the kids don't catch it.
  • Options
    aglenn said:
    Our dishwasher is on the fritz and won't turn on.  We have the extended warranty package (it is less than 2 years old and was not a cheap dishwasher - grr) so we called, and the soonest they can send someone out to look at it is next Monday.  Blah.  So many dishes to wash.

I was sick all day yesterday with a stomach bug and am still not 100% today.  Fingers double and triple crossed that the kids don't catch it.
    That sucks, if you are overwhelmed would using disposable plates for a while help? At least then all you have to clean is the cookware.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"