Pregnant after 35
Options

Baby Shower Drama (sorry long, with back story)

When DH and I got married, my 2 sisters and 2 best friends all said that they wanted to have bridal showers for me. As it turned out one sister delivered her baby 2 weeks before the wedding so she was not able to plan or help with anything. The other sister lives 2 hours away and her finances wouldn’t permit her to do anything.  My two friends for various reasons never planned a shower. I know that just because I was getting married did not mean that I was entitled to have them give me a shower. I never said anything because I knew that a shower is a gift that is given because someone wants to and not out of obligation.

Fast forward to now, nearly a year and a half later. As soon as we announced the pregnancy my two best friends said they want to host a shower and my sister also said she wants to host one. (My younger sister is pregnant again and her due date is 3 weeks after my April 17th due date). Due to some pregnancy complications my doctor thinks I will deliver early. I told all parties involved what the doctor said. My 2 friends said they wanted to plan the shower for the last of January/ first part of February. I made sure I told my older sister what my friends were doing. I told my sister that I could have two showers. I know that I told her and we discussed details like what type of shower. I told her my friends are doing a co-ed shower and she said she wants to do the same. My friends have progressed with planning the shower. It is set for the middle of February and my sister has not talked to me about setting the date for the shower she is throwing. My friends just sent out the invitations to their shower. They sent one to my sister which I did not think would be an issue. They said they want to attend the one she is throwing. She called my mom all upset saying that I found someone else to give me a shower. She said she had no idea that my friends were giving me one. I think that sometimes she gets caught up in her plans and doesn't always listen to what other people are saying. I think in her mind she really does not remember me telling her.

My sister always means well, but she doesn't always follow thru (bridal shower is a case in point) She is known in my family for making plans for parties and such and then backing out at the last minute (usually due to financial reasons) . I do look at a shower as a gift and I appreciate that my sister and friends all want to give me a shower. I hate that her feelings are hurt, but I didn’t 't want to turn down the offer from my friends. I still have people to invite to the shower that she wants to throw because I kept a seperate guest list. I am not sure what kind of advice you can give me to help with the situation, but I do appreciate you letting me vent.

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

Re: Baby Shower Drama (sorry long, with back story)

• Options
    I can see the dilemma but I would not be too upset since you know your sister better than anyone. I say have a talk with your sister and let her know that your friends shower has no bearing on the shower she was willing to throw. If she is still willing to do it, offer to help and maybe tat will make her feel better if finances are an issue.
  • Options
    What @leftie22 said. Look at it this way: Whenever someone is having two or more showers, one of them HAS to be planned after the other one. That's just a fact of life. 

If it was so important to sis to have hers be first, she should have gotten off her butt and done more work. 

You haven't done anything wrong or rude. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"