2nd Trimester

eating peanuts during pregnancy

I can't believe nobody told me to avoid peanuts during pregnancy. I just read an article that states : "babies with evidence of food allergies whose mothers ate peanuts during pregnancy may have an increased risk for potentially life-threatening peanut allergies". And I was so naive and thought is a good thing to expose the baby in the womb to a large variety of foods in order to prevent him/her to have food allergies. And yes , I don't like peanuts but I ate them just thinking I am doing something good for the baby. I feel so dumb.  I am so upset and now worrying about this possible allergies...Anybody else eating peanuts while pregnant?

Re: eating peanuts during pregnancy

• imageFlorr18:
    I can't believe nobody told me to avoid peanuts during pregnancy. I just read an article that states : "babies with evidence of food allergies whose mothers ate peanuts during pregnancy may have an increased risk for potentially life-threatening peanut allergies". And I was so naive and thought is a good thing to expose the baby in the womb to a large variety of foods in order to prevent him/her to have food allergies. And yes , I don't like peanuts but I ate them just thinking I am doing something good for the baby. I feel so dumb.  I am so upset and now worrying about this possible allergies...Anybody else eating peanuts while pregnant?

For real?Confused

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My favorite food while pregnant was indonesian peanut saute. I ate peanut foods constantly and my daughter had no nut allergies. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It sounds like a fear tactic to me- are there a number of credible studies that back this up?

I'm eating my share of PB&J and am planning to continue.

• imageJessieJH:

lol Me too.  It was very tasty. I love all the crazy "OMG don't eat ::insert food::!" posts.  They amuse me.    

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Never heard of this... where did you hear this? Thinking its not true. I eat waffles with peanut butter almost everyday. Id just relax and eat peanuts if you want to.I like peanut butter because it keeps me full and I get protein from it.
    Missed m/c at 11.5wks, baby stopped developing at 9wks, D & C 12/10 ; BFP 6/11 EDD 3/16/11, DS born 40w1d at 6lbs 12 oz. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Should I quit eating eggs, wheat and dairy as well?
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • I've read that you shouldn't eat them every day, but unless you are eating a heavy peanut diet, you/baby should be fine. Eat a balanced, healthy diet and relax.
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

• Actually, when I was on this board back in 2005, there were some ladies avoiding and telling people to avoid peanuts and peanut butter for the reason OP said.  

Back then, some people were against temping and actively TTC...they said it has to happen naturally without counting days and without knowing when you ovulate.  "TCOYF" was the "it" book among us with infertility...  Ah...I feel old... 

m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelizzymo19:
    I feel dumber just by having read this post.

Then be a smart a** and pick what you read on this board better.  You don't need to read everything nor to reply if you don't have anything to say. Your state of mind and your feelings were not in my question.

• I ate peanuts and peanut butter with my first pregnancy - and he loves PB & J and has NO allergy to it.

Eating it again this time around too...

• imageFlorr18:

imagelizzymo19:
    I feel dumber just by having read this post.

Then be a smart a** and pick what you read on this board better.  You don't need to read everything nor to reply if you don't have anything to say. Your state of mind and your feelings were not in my question.

Following up a ridiculous question with insults is no way to get the answers you want.

• So does that mean I should sue my doctor for asking me add some healthy  fats like nuts, peanut butter and more to my diet? HAHA You know, some of the basic factors on a baby's chances of being smart include genetics and diet (both in the womb and first years). Fingers crossed for external factors in this case...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagegsteph88:
    imageBitsKD13:
    imageJessieJH:

lol Me too.  It was very tasty. I love all the crazy "OMG don't eat ::insert food::!" posts.  They amuse me.    

As soon as I saw your SN pop up I thought, "oh good, some ol' fashioned snark is about to happen!" and ya'know...I'm slightly disappointed.  

Sorry  to let you down gsteph!  lol  I haven't met my idiot/stupid people limit yet so I'm relatively snark free.  Maybe next time.  ; )

Granted I did have a bit of temptation to point out that many Asian diets are peanut heavy and yet I have never heard of an over abundance of peanut allergies among Asian people.  And the same when it comes to outbreaks of Listeria in countries where they don't pasteurize 90% of their dairy products.

And part of me really hoped the OP was just posting it as a joke. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • A more reliable source says that this recommendation is based on very limited clinical research....

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20101101/eating-peanuts-while-pregnant-may-up-allergy-risk

• imageFlorr18:

A more reliable source says that this recommendation is based on very limited clinical research....

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20101101/eating-peanuts-while-pregnant-may-up-allergy-risk

OK I can't pull up the full journal article that they reference but from what I can tell from the webpage you linked to, the abstract and the two pages from the paper I can find online, all the babies included in the study already had milk and/or egg allergies.  It also infers that the test is not completely conclusive since it showed an elevated response to peanuts in around half the babies which is not a for gone conclusion that the child with have or develop an allergy.  Yes it did say that 140 did show a completely positive allergy response.  

But that was one study.  If I could find multiple studies with the same/similar conclusion- and a revisit of those with elevated test results to see if they did in fact develop an allergy I would put more faith in the study.  I think this is going to be one of those to each his/her own kind of things.   

• imageFlorr18:
      "babies with evidence of food allergies whose mothers ate peanuts during pregnancy may have an increased risk for potentially life-threatening peanut allergies".

This is a really silly statement and does not prove causality at all. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I eat everything, including peanuts.  And I'm really not worried that I'm giving the kid a life threatening allergic reaction.  

• imageColindaP:
    Makes you wonder about the nonexistence of peanut anaphylaxis in Thailand...

Yes

Formerly **eco**4k posts down the sh*tter Chart
  • imagetartaruga:

That's what I thought as well. My DH has a very mild peanut allergy (just gets uncomfortable after eating them) and I made sure to eat peanut proucts during my pregnancy. DS is not allergic.

Kristin & Dave

Happy Easter

My Blog

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageFlorr18:

A more reliable source says that this recommendation is based on very limited clinical research....

That study used 503 babies. I found one that says otherwise that used 13,971 children. 

Everyone in my family LOVES peanuts. Me and my cousins are just fine, not a single peanut allergy among us. Also, as another poster said, what about dairy and wheat? Those are common allergies as well, are we supposed to forgo those foods? It doesn't make any sense...If you're worried, just don't eat a pound of peanuts every day.

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've eaten my share of a variety of peanuts and I have a PB&J sandwich before I go to bed.  I've heard of people of have completely stayed away from peanuts.  The only my doc told me to stay away from or be conscience of is cold cuts and a variety of seafood. 
  • I read that article too -- but a quick search online afterward shows that for every study showing eating nuts during pregnancy makes allergies more common, there's another study that shows the opposite. 

The science is still out on this one, I'm afraid. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • In the state of Mississippi the WIC program makes a pregnant woman take two jars of peanut butter a month. If it wasn't good for pregnant women, I think they wouldn't allow it.
  • I've never heard that and I doubt there is any credibility to it. Also, fun fact : peanuts aren't actually in the nut family, they are a legume like green beans.
    image          image

• I'm eating peanuts and peanut butter like my life depends on it. I can't imagine a diet that didn't include peanut butter. I ate it all throughout my first pregnancy and while I was nursing/pumping. Same plan this time around.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I ate nuts like crazy with DD, all kinds, everyday because they were a craving. DD has been fine with all nuts so far.
  • I have eaten peanut butter almost every day it seems like forever. Found the article I read in December: https://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/12/24/children-at-lower-risk-for-nut-allergies-if-moms-ate-nuts-during-pregnancy/
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Eat peanuts.  The data from that study is weak and extrapolated--the worst kind.  But please don't give your babies peanuts/nut butters right away :-).  That's a totally different thread.

I'm also a pediatrician w/ an interest in allergy/imm. 
  • A very recent study just came out saying that it is actually better to eat all these allergenic foods in pregnancy and even introducing them to a baby earlier rather than later and that perhaps all the previous recommendations to stay away from these allergenic foods could be a cause why allergies seem to be on a rise.

My son has allergies to 3 tree nuts. I'm pretty sure I didn't eat much nuts during my pregnancy except for walnuts (because of the omega-3 in them). And he's not allergic to walnuts which I ate a handful every single day.

Don't believe everything you hear. Allergies just happen. I never thought I'd have a child who has allergies because there is no one in the family with allergies. Besides, having a child with a nut allergy is not the end of the world. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tartaruga said:
    @tartaruga

This is what I have read as well.  I have been eating PB&J sandwichs all the time, had one yesterday and today and will continue!!!!! My favorite!!!!

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Yeeaahhhhhh.... I suggest not visiting that website again for advice.
  • I think it just depends on what life throws at you really.  I ate peanut butter during pregnancy along with peanuts out of the shell, unfortunately my son is highly allergic to them now.  I asked my doctor if he got the allergy because of this as no one on either side of the family had this particular allergy.  There is no definitive answer as of yet just because its a tricky allergy.  I wouldn't worry too much, just eat what you want to.  While I'm nervous for this next baby to be allergic as well I've still had snacks with peanut butter in them. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • BeesKnees181BeesKnees181 member
    edited January 2014
    I eat peanuts and lunchmeat.  I also agree with PP about the scare tactic theory...there are so many things out on the inetrnet meant to freak us out (i.e.saying raw fruit juice is bad for you when pregnant is like saying raw vegetables and fruit are bad for you...such BS).  You know your body.  Do what feels right and trust yourself.  That is what I am going with, at least.

• tartaruga said:
    I've read this as well. It's a new study debunking the previous advice. I've been eating peanuts precisely to help spare my kid the allergy!
  • There's all kinds of allergy preventing/causing fads going on out there.  The conflicting data about it is a strong indicator of this.  No reputable medical source has shown a proper scientific study linking diet while pregnant/breastfeeding to child allergies except for moms not eating foods their child is allergic to while breastfeeding.  It's a scary time, good luck!
  • I ate peanut butter every day I was pregnant with DS. And we introduced it to him early... At 9 months. Exactly what PP said about Thailand's lack of peanut allergies is what my pediatrician expressed to me. We have not been shy in introducing all allergens early to DS with the exception of honey. Therefore, in pregnancy, why would it be any different.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"