May 2014 Moms

Conflicting info about cold medicine - Help!

Packet of info from my doctor's office says Tylenol Cold & Sinus is ok. 
Mayo clinic book says no to phenylephrine (which is the active ingredient in the Tylenol sinus I just bought)
A google search (that DH did for me) says Phenylephrine may be linked to birth defects if taken in first tri and can reduce blood flow to the placenta but is probably ok for occasional use. DH says I should go ahead and take it but for only 2 days.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Should I take one dose tonight to help me sleep, or try to hold off until after I ask the doctor about it tomorrow?

BabyFruit Ticker 

image image image image image
Married since June 2012
EDD May 2014

Re: Conflicting info about cold medicine - Help!

• You can always call and verify it today with the nurse!
    BabyFruit Ticker

It would be my first phone call to the office of the whole pregnancy. I don't know why that bothers me!
    BabyFruit Ticker 

Married since June 2012
    EDD May 2014
  • Loading the player...

It would be my first phone call to the office of the whole pregnancy. I don't know why that bothers me!

Don't let pride about something silly make you worry all night! Trust me they don't keep score ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• If it's on their safe list I personally would be OK with taking it. Hell, DayQuil isn't even on my safe list but I finally caved and took one dose + benadryl so I could get some sleep... 3 colds a pregnancy will make you do some crazy stuff though...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok. Nurse says phenylepherine is unavoidable. It will be in all cold medicines. It's just sort of a risk/reward decision. She said don't take it for a week straight, but just a couple days should be fine. So hopefully this cold/congestion goes away by Thursday. :-/

I also bought a warm steam vaporizer while I was at Walgreens, so I might just try that for tonight and see if it helps, then wait until I feel like it's unbearable to take the cold medicine. 
    BabyFruit Ticker 

Married since June 2012
    EDD May 2014
  • I just took some...

I am at work, miserable and have a trial coming up on Wednesday.  It was the only thing in the cabinet and I am literally MISERABLE.  I did a google search and it said it was Category C (not tested) and I said F it. 
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • @sthomas1222 and @IBackBevo
    Thank you! Glad to know I'm not the only one getting desperate! 
    BabyFruit Ticker 

Married since June 2012
    EDD May 2014
  • I had bronchitis in early December and was on tons of stuff for it -- pseudoephedrine, guaifenesin, dextromethorphan, and eventually phenergan syrup with codeine and phenylephrine at night for my cough. I was medicated for 8 days total.

You and baby will be fine. Just don't take the max dose for an extended period of time.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Phenylephrine doesn't even work that well; I'd bother the pharmacy and get Bronkaid or Primatene, which shouldn't cause the issues that phenylephrine does.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• It's not a silly question at all. Just call them! Just think of all the crazy calls they constantly get from ladies. This is a legitimate question!
  • There's a lot of difference of opinion when it comes to decongestants like pseudoephedrine & phenylephrine. Yes, they cause blood vessel construction, which is great for your nose & not as great for your placenta. There's not a proven risk though, so if you're miserable, try a low dose for a short time. Some sources say it should be avoided & some docs ok it. I can't sleep if I take them at night though, pregnant or not. You can also try a nasal saline rinse/Neti pot. It helps & has no bad side effects other than that gross water up your nose feeling.
  • Have you tried a Netti Pot? I think only real pseudoephedrine works but I don't think we're supposed to take that either. Sorry you're sick! I still occasionally take Claritin for allergies (Class B).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had the worst sinus congestion/cold after our baby moon back in November. It was so bad that the congestion was making my ears hurt. I was miserable and finally broke down and took one sudafed before I would go to bed at night, just so I could breathe and get a little sleep. My doctor preferred me not to take any decongestant but said if I was desperate, I could take a little sudafed. Netti Pot did nothing for the first 3 days, but once things started to drain, it was amazing. Also vick's vapor rub or menthylatum under the nose seemed to help. Hope you feel better soon. I feel for you.
    Introducing the Rowselettes, Archer and Xander.
    Want to know more about me?  Check out my blog. :)
  • I just asked my doc. She said NOTHING before 20 weeks. After 20 weeks, Sudafed, Robitussen and Musinex are ok. Little leery about Sudafed just because it made me jittery when I wasn't pregnant. But at least it is better than nothing. Before I was 20 weeks I got a cold and I used Breathe Right Nasal Strips and they helped me sleep at night. Now I'm 21 weeks and coming down with another cold!
  • jenb_99jenb_99 member
    edited February 2014
    At 15w I had a cold that turned into a bad case of bronchitis, and I was allowed pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, guaifenesin, dextromethorphan, acetaminophen. When all that wasn't enough, my OB even ended up prescribing a round of azithromycin and phenergan syrup with codeine.

I used guaifenesin for a subsequent illness a few weeks later, and I still occasionally use Sudafed for pregnancy-related nasal congestion.

It all just depends on your doctor and your particular pregnancy. Some doctors are far more conservative than others.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"