Nurseries and Baby Gear

Dresser/hutch v change table question

Hi, visiting from 3rd tri and February 14 board with a quick question... so I thought the nursery was done, we have 4 weeks to go. We were lucky enough to have MIL offer to pay for nursery set for us, and although I was nervous to order it so soon there was a three month wait time plus delivery and assembly, so we got it ordered a while back, I felt pressured to make a quick decision. Now it is here I am starting to stress a bit, because we got a crib, and conversion to make it into a real bed later, and nightstand for when he's older, plus a dresser with hutch over it. I didn't think about it at the time but there was no change table. I am from the UK but live here in the US, and was surprised that you are supposed to change the baby on the hutch, with shelves just above his head. Now that the change pad is on there, it looks like it would be hard to use, especially when LO is a bit bigger, will he fit in there? Will he bump his head? I know I could probably get an inexpensive change table, but at this stage MIL will be offended, MH will be annoyed that there is something else we have to buy, and there is nothing that matches the unusual grayish brown color of the rest of the furniture. Am I missing something about the hutch/dresser comb? I have just never known anyone back home have one! Thanks!

Re: Dresser/hutch v change table question

• Does the hutch come off? We bought a dresser with a hutch that is also a bookcase, so for now we have the two as separate pieces of furniture while we use the dresser as a changing table. It also came with a rail to go on top of the dresser to hold the changing pad in place. Another option may be to adjust the shelves so they're higher up on the hutch. I agree with @SandAndsSea, I wouldn't worry about it. You may find that it's easier to change the baby on the floor or bed, or using the dresser with hutch may not be so bad after all. Originally I wanted a separate changing table, but now I'm glad we just went with the dresser and hutch, since we'll get more use out of it in the long run.
  • Does the middle self come off? With my hutch/dresser there is a middle shelf that you take off while using as a changing table and then put on when you don't need the changing table pad anymore.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would use it while you can and once he outgrows it or it becomes dangerous (reaching shelves) just change him on the floor with a pad.  I wouldn't stress about it, nor would I buy another piece of furniture for it.
    This exactly.  Use it as long as it is practical and then switch to just changing on the floor.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"