Special Needs
Options

Having a hard time

I wasn't quite sure how to title this post. DD is going to be 3 in March and is in an evaluation / transition group through Early Intervention so that they can determine the best placement for her for preschool in April.

I knew DD has global developmental delays, but maybe I was in denial about the severity. When I spoke with her teacher again, they aren't recommending the special education class that is part of the school down the road from us as I thought they would. They are recommending an all day preschool, 5 days a week, at a school for cognitively impaired children.

I guess I have been clinging to the ASD diagnosis and fooling myself that the other delays she has aren't that bad. My 9 month old is starting to do things that she is still struggling with or can't do yet. It's just really hitting me hard lately.

Re: Having a hard time

• Options
    I'm sorry. That would be really difficult to hear. Hoping tomorrow is a better day. I know for myself I go in and out of despair and joy over what DS is up to, good or bad.
  • Options
    I'm sorry. I know how difficult it is to hear that kind of news, especially when you weren't prepared or expecting it. Lots of warm thoughts coming your way as you move forward to find the best placement to help your sweet little one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No advice, just hugs.  I'm likely going to be facing that same recommendation in six months, and I'm dreading it.  I know DS is behind, but I only see how much when I see him with other two year olds.  He also got a recent ASD dx.  

Hopefully getting her extra help while she's still pre-school age will help in the long run...at least that's how I'm trying to look at it.  

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    ((hugs))
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    I'm so sorry your struggling with this.  ((hugs))

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    HUGS.  There are moments that just knock the wind out of you as you go through this journey.  Stay strong, but know that having some moments of sadness are perfectly normal.
    Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"