Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Too young for the movies?

I keep debating on taking my 27th month old to the movies.  It would be his first time.  When did you/will you take your kid to their first movie? 

Has anyone seen Frozen?  I've heard such good things about it and was thinking of going to it.  If you've seen it would a 2 year old like it or is it too old for him? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Too young for the movies?

• Options
    My daughter has been to movies since she was just over a year old. She really enjoys going to the movies and will sit thru the whole thing. DD and I both loved frozen, she keeps asking to go again. Just be prepared to get up and leave if you need to.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We didn't take DS until he was five. He would have done fine, but there weren't any movies we wanted to see.

However, we took the kids to see Frozen and DD, who is two months shy of three, did great! She was fascinated by the movie and the fact that she got to gorge on popcorn. I just packed some juice boxes and granola bars in my purse, just in case.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think this all depends on your child.

I remember taking my niece with my sister when she was just shy of 24m. She sat through the whole movie and did great. Then again, she loved watching TV.

I could never take DS1 to the movies. He would never sit for longer than 15 minutes. But he's very active and likes to play a lot more than sitting in front of the TV.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    We took our 2.5 year old to see Frozen. It was the first time she went to the movies. She did great.  She was able to sit though "movie night" at home (lights dimmed snuggled between Mom and Dad) so we figured she would be fine at the movie theatre.  During the day at home she doesn't sit still longer then 20-30 minutes watching TV.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's just going to depend on your child.  My son would probably not sit through a whole movie in the theater very well.  Our friends has a DD 3 days older and she's been to the movies twice and done great.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I took my 3 year old to see frozen. We left 1/2 way thru. She's not ready.
  • Options
    No way would I take my 28 month old to the movies yet, especially Frozen b/c it's a long kids movie (1 hour 45 min). But, I guess that depends on the kid. We don't do TV before 2, so she is only just getting interested and doesn't "sit" and watch a show, even a short one. 

I actually finally took my 5 year old to the movies to see Frozen and it was her first movie theater experience. She loved it but w/ previews it was a long time. 

This!  I took DD at 34 mos and it was tough.  The previews were about 30 mins.  We went to a morning showing specifically for kids with sensory issues and it was still hard.  She wanted to roll around and jump and dance.  We saw Frozen and it was lovely.  But it comes out to buy in March I think.  I'd wait.  
  • Options
    My son lasted about 40 minutes at Frozen.  Then he said, "Where's my iPad?" and got up and ran out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We took my daughter to see it. She LOVED it. We went at an early matinee show--10am, so it was less crowded. We went late to miss the previews--we got there about 20 minutes after starting time. 

It was the first time I allowed her to eat popcorn, which helped. She did get antsy towards the end, but she still asks to go back to see it again. 

But I knew the theme of snow, winter and snowmen would be up my daughter's alley. She loves to watch snow (even if she doesn't enjoy playing in it)
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!
  • Options
    Depends on the child. DD has gone to the movies since 2 and done well. DS did well when younger, but now at 2 will not sit through a movie. I usually only take the kids to free matinees because I never know how well DS will do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My 5 year old hasn't been to a movie. I would not take my 2 year old.
  • Options
    Hi Hi Hi!

It's crazy that we've got 27monthers isn't it?

There's no way LBB could sit through a movie in a theater.  He can't sit through a movie at home!  (We've tried)  And frankly, movies nowadays are too expensive for me to buy tickets only to walk out after 15 minutes.  However, you know your guy best.  I have a friend who brought her 2 year old to Planes over the summer and he apparently sat through the whole thing.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hi Hi Hi!

It's crazy that we've got 27monthers isn't it?

There's no way LBB could sit through a movie in a theater.  He can't sit through a movie at home!  (We've tried)  And frankly, movies nowadays are too expensive for me to buy tickets only to walk out after 15 minutes.  However, you know your guy best.  I have a friend who brought her 2 year old to Planes over the summer and he apparently sat through the whole thing.
    Hey Blu!  Hope you and LBB are well.  Can't believe the boys are so old!
  • Options

Way late on the response but wanted to contribute from experience.

So last summer, the local regal movie theaters offered weekly $1 movies at 10am or something (during the week) on Thursdays. They were 2nd run movies (Yogi, Alvin and The Chipmunks, Ice Age) and the lights were less dim and sound lower. DH is a SAHD and was all pumped up for this. I was HIGHLY questionning the ability of my just 2 year old to sit through a movie + the then 4 year old that has never been to a movie. I was SO wrong. They had a ball. Snacks were packed, drinks too and they loved it. One movie (Ice Age) was too much for DD and they offered DH his money back since he left early with them.

Fast forward to December and we all went to Frozen and it was a huge success. Still, I was shocked. My kids do NOT sit still and never watched a movie at home. Eventually, give it a try when you are comfortable and I hope it's a success!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"